What's new

Darien Lake 2014 Lake Monster

Status
Not open for further replies.

CPSFMMCW

Mega Poster
2014 - Lake Monster - Planning - (7/22/13) Darien Lake has sent out a guest survey this month that mentions a possible new roller coaster for 2014. They call it the Lake Monster and it sounds similar to Rocky Mountain Coaster’s Outlaw Run (and has a picture of it) that opened as sister park, Silver Dollar City. The description says it would feature the first “wing over drop” on a wooden coaster, a “Zero-G Camelback Hop Reversal” and “Suspended corkscrew” all within a 3,190 foot long course.

http://www.screamscape.com/assets/image ... urvey1.jpg

So, time to get my tickets to Buffalo.

Wing over drop, that is interesting to say the least. I'm assuming the Zero-G Camelback Hop Reversal is the 153, and the uspsended corkscrew is just a corkscrew. Only 200 feet longer than OR, I'm interested to see if this comes together or not. If it does, instantly jumps to #1 new coaster for 2014.

It's about damn time Darien lake adds a major coaster. Last coaster was a small family coaster in 2008. Before that the last coaster was (superman) Ride of Steel in 1999.

Hoping it does end up an RMC but the photo also has timberliners so who knows. being so close I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this.

It's been noted at WNYCC meeting that this would replace Predator, while not a major loss... I'd still rather they keep Predator and just build a 100% new coaster as well.

Well, glad I didn't drop $50 there a few weeks ago. Maybe there is a Darien Lake - Seabreeze - Great Escape week in my 2014 plans.

CanobieFan said:
It's been noted at WNYCC meeting that this would replace Predator, while not a major loss... I'd still rather they keep Predator and just build a 100% new coaster as well.

Replacing predator isn't surprising. It's got a bad reputation but it's really not THAT bad.

Also that makes me wonder if it will be an Iron Horse and not a from scratch woody...

The last three trips I've made out there its been raining when I've gone on Predator.. So it was running pretty fast and smooth-enough. It's not as bad as people make it out to be. But it still wouldn't be a big loss.

Also, here's the quote I found
During the WNYCC's Holiday Party, in January, park GM Bob Montgomery spoke of some upcoming changes to Predator that would likely see just the station and lift hill remain. He said the coaster would go over the water. Bob also stated they were looking at several companies who use steel structures for their wood coasters. The Lake Monster just might be the project he was talking about.
WNYCC is Western New York Coaster Club

Which makes it sound more like a gravity group, which would explain the picture with the steel structure and the timberliners. a rather disappointing turn in events.

Well there goes my enthusiasm for this. I mean I would love to see a GG that is truly inverting, but seeing/hearing how so many have aged poorly, be it maintenance or whatever, it's something that basically has to be ridden in first few years.

With that said we don't know how RMC's will hold up really either, but seeing as they constructed several rides before, and there are no major complaints, it's safe to say they hold together better.

In an interview with RMC, they said that they tend to stay away from vertical loops and similar elements due to them intimidating guests to the point where they won't ride it. Sounds like GG, definitely.

WOFanatic said:
In an interview with RMC, they said that they tend to stay away from vertical loops and similar elements due to them intimidating guests to the point where they won't ride it. Sounds like GG, definitely.

No, the main reason that they stay away from loops are because they are high G's maneuvers. The intimidating thing you speak about was just a side note.

So Ravine Flyer II and Voyave have aged badly. Since when? So that leaves Hades 360 as the only other major GG woodie in America. Which was the first, in a park that never properly took care or it. So lets base all assumptions of any other GG wooden ride off that one, instead of the two that do get proper care.

If you want to compare rides and give a generalized statement about their ride quality, than you can only use Outlaw Run. Its the only ride they have designed and built strictly from planning stages to finjsh without a pre-existing layout set down for them. So you can knock out any other rides they may have built beforehand for comparisson about aging well.

So lets get all excited for a company whose rides we dont even know how they will age, and feel uncaring to the one with a mildly proven track record so long as the park maintains the ride (cause ya know...wood needs replaced after so long).

Ugh...

But for reals, I would be happy to see another big GG hit the states.

^Except Darien Lake is rather notorious for not doing very much maintenance on the rides. Most locals Enthusiast and not enthusiast feel that the rides are not maintained well.

Also, I never said GG was bad, but Timberliners get a really bad reputation and I just like RMC better.

Intricks said:
So Ravine Flyer II and Voyave have aged badly. Since when? So that leaves Hades 360 as the only other major GG woodie in America. Which was the first, in a park that never properly took care or it. So lets base all assumptions of any other GG wooden ride off that one, instead of the two that do get proper care.

If you want to compare rides and give a generalized statement about their ride quality, than you can only use Outlaw Run. Its the only ride they have designed and built strictly from planning stages to finjsh without a pre-existing layout set down for them. So you can knock out any other rides they may have built beforehand for comparisson about aging well.

So lets get all excited for a company whose rides we dont even know how they will age, and feel uncaring to the one with a mildly proven track record so long as the park maintains the ride (cause ya know...wood needs replaced after so long).

Ugh...

That's why they didn't have to replace track on Voyage right? And Mt. Olympus has bad maintenance (known fact) and Joey is claiming that Darien Lake does as well (not surprising) so this could lead to problems. While RMC has done either topper, iron horse, constructed, or repairs on the following:

Topper
Cyclone (SFNE), Georgia Cyclone (SFoG),Medusa ((SFM)soon to be Iron Horse), Tremors
Constructed:
Aftershock, El Toro, T Express, Timber Terror, Tremors, Villain, Timberhawk
Repairs
Boss, Cornball Express, Hoosier Hurricane, Mega Zeph, Predator, Timber Terror, Tremors, Twister 2

That's quite a history of solid rides, and rides that have gotten much better post fixing, according to many. So yeah, I'll stick with hoping this is RMC, but I'll still be happy if it is GG, but not as much if truth be told.

At first hand experience yer after year since 2006 with the voyage, I can account that for the most part it's been it really good shape. Sure they replace some track at the turnaround but woodies need maintenance like that to operate with breaking spines. For the most part I'm happy to seek if this would be a GG coaster solely because they've created great coasters without inversions and I'd be happy to see their coasters with inversions have as much air time as RF II and the Voyage with the forceful yet comfortable inversions

tomahawKSU said:
Intricks said:

Ugh...

That's why they didn't have to replace track on Voyage right? And Mt. Olympus has bad maintenance (known fact) and Joey is claiming that Darien Lake does as well (not surprising) so this could lead to problems. While RMC has done either topper, iron horse, constructed, or repairs on the following:

Topper
Cyclone (SFNE), Georgia Cyclone (SFoG),Medusa ((SFM)soon to be Iron Horse), Tremors
Constructed:
Aftershock, El Toro, T Express, Timber Terror, Tremors, Villain, Timberhawk
Repairs
Boss, Cornball Express, Hoosier Hurricane, Mega Zeph, Predator, Timber Terror, Tremors, Twister 2

That's quite a history of solid rides, and rides that have gotten much better post fixing, according to many. So yeah, I'll stick with hoping this is RMC, but I'll still be happy if it is GG, but not as much if truth be told.

I know what all theyve been contracted to construct, but that was still using someone elses design and specs to build. Outlaw Run is the first ride theyve made themselves with their own tech. Plus, isnt their track for Outlaw Run concrete filled steel? Concrete does eventually crack and need replaced. Will they replace the topper pieces after X amount of years or will it get a pothole and thats it? We dont know any of this, so my caution for any and all RMC has larger grounds than just worrying about a park not willing to keep up with proper maintenence.

Although, since RMC is still contracted for random fixes, could we be seeing a GG design built by RMC?

Nah, Voyage and RFII got some tender loving care in the past couple of years. When I went to Holiday World in 12 she rode far better than she did in 09.

Voyage is intense.

I rode Voyage last summer and the out run was long, boring but smooth while the turnaround was pretty fun, if a little slow, but the return run was boring and rougher than Ghostrider starting at the cameras, overall I really wasn't impressed at all. I really tried to like it but would almost rank it as the worst of the three at the park. So no a well constructed woodie shouldn't require complete retracking every 5 years, look at some GCIs still running almost as smooth as day one after years of service. I really hope GG isn't behind this as they are teeming with problems, not to mention that Timberliners look like cheap, tacky knicknacks you find in a tourist trap gift shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.