What's new

Favorite Goon Memories?

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
This thread is for all of your favorite memories as an enthusiast, both at parks and not. By this, I mean your favorite memories doing something only an enthusiast would do. I'll list some of my examples:

*May 2011; I'm dealing with a TON of frustration at school with a ridiculous English paper and struggling to learn chemistry with a side problem in driver's ed and the ONLY thing keeping me sane is the ability to get home and look at new Cheetah Hunt construction pictures.
*Getting off of an 8-hour night shift and going to my first CF Live only to not only find almost everything down due to wind but also making my first impression as a slap happy sleep-deprived idiot. I look back on it and laugh, though.
*Waiting for my first ride on Wild Eagle when my dad was gloating to the ride ops that his son knew everything about any coaster in the park and when questioned, I knew more about the ride than the ride op...who said I should work there.
*The crazy experience that was sleeping in a hotel in the part of downtown Tampa near BGT and having to find dinner and some things we forgot at home at night around town. Most GP would probably just go to Orlando and make a day trip out of BGT...probably a safer bet! XD
*Getting to BGT an hour before the park opened to be first to run to Cheetah Hunt.
*Going on a wild goose chase at Cedar Point to get a kiddie pass to credit whore Jr. Gemini.
*Waiting out a storm alone in the Flight Deck (Kings Island) station with just the people I came with when my sleep rhythms shifted slightly on me and I ended up falling asleep in the station cattlepen.
*Getting to walk around an empty GateKeeper plaza and photograph it on its second day of operation.
*Winning a GateKeeper front of the line pass from Plinko before the park opened and reacting by running down the stairs and hugging my cousin like I had just won a game show.
*Taking my best friend on Wild Eagle and spending the whole fifteen-minute wait explaining to her the processes parks go through to ensure that she won't end up in a Final Destination-esque incident.
*Braving my fear of heights twice in one day to get pictures of dirt and footers for Banshee.
*Riding Nighthawk (which I don't like) with my dad because I thought he wanted to only to find out that he rode it even though HE doesn't like it because he thought I wanted to.

So yeah, happy memories being an enthusiast, post away! :D

Putting rubbish in Burdenous Sue's hood is up there...oh and when Neal put her in the bin at GFX. That was good.

I recently had a goon just last month. During spring break my family went skiing at Vail in Colorado. After flying into Denver we took a shuttle into the mountains. While passing the city I looked out the window to see a white woodie! I started gooning out. After a quick search on my phone I found out it was Lakeside Amusement Park, and the woodie was Cyclone. I'd never even heard of the park before!

While skiing at Vail was beautiful, driving by a coaster was probably the highlight of the trip :D (even though the woodie looked like crap :p)

A quick survey:

1. Being the 117th public rider of Maverick. (Some of us didn't buy our way... SNOO!)
2. Riding the first train on Magnum XL-200 for the 2006 season. (With Snoo)
3. Waiting on Kings Island opening day for Diamondback's line to get as long as possible to brag that I had waited the longest. 3 Hours.
4. Riding GateKeeper at two separate events before its official opening: Media Day and OSU Day.

Ditching my classmates at Hershey back in 2012 so I could ride all the rides as many times as I wanted. Was the only one of my graduating class to ride Skyrush that day, thigh bruises and all.

My most gooniest memories all involve sleep deprivation for the sake of fitting in a cred. Going to half the Norfolk Live the day before a flight to China was nasty. Especially as it involved getting a five hour train from Great Yarmouth straight to Heathrow. Also getting off a flight from Florida, going into work for thee hours, then going to the end of The Swarm opening day. That was knackering.

Riding the first Raging Bull train with the kid on every opening day from 2009-2012 was pretty goonish, especially when we had to wait for over 2 hours in 2011 because of the cold, but never felt more like a goon than during the Fårup My Frikadella CF-Live at Tivoli Friheden doing the SCAD Tower over and over again with a huge grin on my face the entire time. :--D

Sooo many great Goon moments.
- I pretty much gooned to the max stepping into the offices at Plopsaland de Panne to interview the park manager.
- Guided tour around Scenic Railway at Margate as part of the Mini CF-Live.
- Guided tour of Vampire at Chessington with CF.
- Getting into the fan preview for Psyke Underground at Walibi Belgium
- Getting into the test of the Beauty and the Beast attraction in Magic Kingdom.
- Any of the ERT sessions with CF
- Construction tour of Wild Asia at Chessington

I'm sure there's more.

This weekend has definitely trumped my gooniest memories so far. I'll wet your appetite for the trip reports by telling you that it involved us doing some super sleuthing (finding a shop opposite a cred on the beach on Google maps, finding their number and ringing them up to find out if the cred was open) and maximum begging (getting the ride op who'd closed up and was walking out with his lunch box to reopen the cred just for us)

Mysterious Sue said:
This weekend has definitely trumped my gooniest memories so far. I'll wet your appetite for the trip reports by telling you that it involved us doing some super sleuthing (finding a shop opposite a cred on the beach on Google maps, finding their number and ringing them up to find out if the cred was open) and maximum begging (getting the ride op who'd closed up and was walking out with his lunch box to reopen the cred just for us)

This! Plus finally riding a Go Gator and driving for an hour to get to it!

I guess we can add these Goon Memories to OfficialReplay's CoasterForce movie. lol.

1. - being the last train on Top Thrill Dragster July 18th, 2013
2. - Riding JackRabbit at Celebration City in it's final season
3. - Recently seeing this Woodie in Ft. Lauderdale... still can't identify it. :\

^ The woodie was probably Dania Beach Hurricane, which has been SBNO since April 2011.
I'm still pretty much pissed out about that ride. We have practically driven by it, but didn't make a stop to ride it... Two months after our visit the ride closed down for good. :cry: