What's new

Jumbo Hostel Stockholm

Emmett

Giga Poster
Whilst my friend and I were planning our weekend trip to Stockholm we were searching for hostels in the city and found out that you can stay in an old Jumbo (747-200) just beside Stockholm’s main airport. So being a bit of an old aircraft fan I decided we should stay there rather than somewhere in the cityeven though it meant an expensive train journey to and from the airport. Also its probably the only chance you would get to sleep in a bed on a 747 without having to fork out a few grand for a first class ticket with an airline.

There are options of private rooms or dorm rooms which house 4 people. We opted for one of the dorm rooms which worked out at around €35 per person per night. They also had the cockpit turned into a private room which you can choose but this option was very expensive.

The Jumbo Hostel is located just a few minutes from the airport terminal by shuttle bus.
jh014.png

The hostel opened in 2008 when they converted an old jumbo which last flew in 2002.
jh012.png

The main side door entrance complete with life jackets.
jh004.png

Once inside you first come across the reception area.
jh003.png

Towards the front of the plane is the café area. Anyone can visit throughout the day even if you are not staying at the hostel.
jh002.png

All the small dorm rooms are off to each side of the corridor in the middle of the plane.
jh006.png

All the room numbers started with 7 and in the old Boeing style writing. This was our room number 736.
jh015.png

Here is the view you get from the three aircraft windows.
jh018.png

Looking out at the wing and some building but I guess you can expect that much when you are parked at the edge of an airport. At least it was a view, unlike some of the dives I've stayed in before.
jh017.png

Although a bit on the compact size, the rooms weren’t too bad. Luckily there were only 2 of us but with 4 people it would have been a bit of a squeeze. The room also had a small flat screen tv showing the usual selection of badly dubbed American programmes.
jh019.png

The main area plan of the Jumbo.
jh016.png

Towards the rear of the plane there was a couple of internet terminal. Luckily other people were taken photos throughout the plane so I didn’t look like a right weirdo.
jh001.png

The rear passenger door exit and washroom area.
jh021.png

The window view from the other side of the plane of the nearby airport.
jh020.png

Heading back outside you can spot the main airport terminal in the distance.
jh007.png

Two classics.
jh009.png

On the outside the only sections from the original Jumbo missing are the inner engine parts. The wheels have been secured and supports have been fixed to the rear of the aircraft.
jh010.png

Interesting place for a picnic.
jh011.png

Overall it’s a pretty unique place to stay if you are staying anywhere near Stockholm and its certainly worth a trip even just to have a quick look onbaord.
jh022.png

I love it!

That's brilliant.

It should definitely have those stairs to get in it, but on the other side, have those slides to exit, that would make it perfect!

Haha I've seen this before somewhere, but its good to get some better photos!

Love it.

After Norverge, I promised myself that I'd never stay in a hostel again...until I read this topic! You should be on commission, Emmett!

This place looks great. Much better than a big grey building. Looks like a fun place to stay.:)