What's new

Roller coaster names: best and worst fitting?

ava1enzue1a

Mega Poster
There are a lot of cool names for roller coasters, but which ones really fit their theme and actual ride experience best? And which names don't really fit their coaster at all?

From the top of my head, best:

Maverick actually is one hell of a wild ride.

Leviathan really is huge, even compared to the (less) huge coaster, Behemoth.

Gemini for obvious reasons.

Apollo's Chariot soars high into the sky and skims over terrain and close to the earth, which does in fact seem to replicate the myth pretty well:

According to an epic tale, Apollo, driving a celestial horse-drawn chariot, was responsible for hauling the sun across the skies. One day, his son Phaethon pestered his permission to take the chariot for a ride. [...] But Apollo always refused - he knew that his son was far from ready to assume such a responsibility.

However, against his better judgement, Apollo eventually allowed the request. So one day Phaethon climbed into the chariot, which was drawn by two white horses, grasped the reins and set off across the skies. It was soon apparent that Phaethon was incapable of controlling the horses - they galloped so high in the sky that the earth was close to freezing, then they plunged so close to the earth that the fields were burnt.
Worst:

Raging Bull has such excessive trimming and consequently slow pacing that it is anything but "raging". Too bad since the winding layout and drops do kinda suggest a "feel" of bull riding.

Goliath (La Ronde, Walabi Holland, et al), like the name of the original Goliath @ SFMM (which is truly a mammoth) - these smaller coasters don't really live up to the "grand proportion" theme. I guess the name just sounded cool.

Any others?

Yeah all the other Goliath coasters besides the one at SFNM.

I also gotta go with Stinger at Dorney Park, which has nothing to do with an Invertigo.

And Cheetah Hunt, based on what I heard about th ride experience

For the best:
Beast - it's a wild ride and really is a beast roller coaster

TTD and Formula Rossa

Hulk - only because he coaster sounds like him

Disagree about the Goliath comment. Particularly Walibi Holland.

In comparison to the other rides in that park, the coaster is a Goliath.

Worst: Hollywood Dream - Really? How does that even make sense?

Best: Roller Coaster - Simple, clear, concise.

(Yes, I'm kidding.)

Best

Dueling Dragons
Oblivion
Most of The B&M Hypers (Nitro, Titan, Goliath, Leviathan)
De Ja Vu
Talon

Worst

Magnum XL 200
Millennium Force
The Smiler

Best-
Prowler, due to it being low to the ground and fast, simulating a Prowler chasing its prey.
Alpengiest- due to it being themed to an out of control ski-lift.

Worst-
Afterburn
Flight Deck
Cosmic Coaster (at Valleyfair and WOF)

Some good ones are:
Any roller coaster at a Disney park is well themed for its name
Volcano at KD is in a volcano
Alpengeist and Loch Ness Monster are both good
Ricochet at KD, the name explains the ride experience

For best fitting I'd imagine "10 loop roller coaster" really sums up the ride well.

It really paints a picture of what to expect. Credit to who ever thought up that one.

^ Yeah that's pretty simple, yet effective.
Pierre said:
Disagree about the Goliath comment. Particularly Walibi Holland.

In comparison to the other rides in that park, the coaster is a Goliath.
Point taken.
metalhead7 said:
Worst

Magnum XL 200
Millennium Force
Disagreed. I wouldn't rank these among the most misfitted names.
WOFanatic said:
Best-
Alpengiest- due to it being themed to an out of control ski-lift.
qft

Best: Dragon Khan. This beast of a coaster also has the look of a true chinese dragon. Excellent name!

Worst: iSpeed. Seriously wtf?! What does this formula 1 themed coaster got with Apple to do??

Revolution at Bobbijobbieland. All that thing does is revolve. Then it later reopned as Evolution, with the R just crossed through. Cheap business sense from the park and a fitting name...

Best - Mystery Mine

Worst - Every damn copyright name Six Flags ever created for a new ride that was then ditched two years later to save the cost of copyright. I mean - really? Is Terminator or Evil Knievel worth the hassle of renaming down the line? Just give them a good name from the start, and fugedaboutit.