What's new
FORUMS - COASTERFORCE

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sapporo Weekend - Part 2: Rusutsu Resort

Gavin

Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Social Media Team
Rusutsu Resort in Japan has been a personal vendetta for way too long. I’d intended to finally get to it last Easter, but because of its location in the north, it was still a few weeks off opening. I ended up using a long weekend a few weeks ago to finally get it done.

Since direct flights from Hong Kong end up arriving in Sapporo in the afternoon, taking a direct flight on the Saturday wasn’t really an option since that day would be pretty much completely lost. Instead, I took a late flight to Tokyo on Friday night, hung around at Narita Airport for a few hours and took the first domestic flight to Sapporo on Saturday morning, arriving sometime before 8am if I’m remembering correctly.

Since I only had a smallish backpack for the 2 nights, rather than heading to the hotel first, I went straight out to Hokkaido Greenland, which involved taking the train into the city, transferring to another train and then finally a bus, taking a couple of hours altogether, but being mostly straightforward.

Hokkaido Greenland

I don’t think this place will ever be on anyone’s “must visit” list, but it would be a bit daft to not just knock it off if you’re planning on hitting Rusutsu. Gorgeous weather and a not too busy park considering it was the weekend. There were two kiddy coasters, one of which had a unique conveyor belt for a lift hill, like something you’d see on a log flume, but otherwise they were pretty nondescript.

The Senyo Kogyo looper was vile. Anyone who rags on Togo really needs to ride stuff from some of the other Japanese manufacturers. The first drop is also the most stupid coaster element I’d seen in a long time. It looked great with the very green grass and very blue sky at least, like if the Teletubbies built a cred.

DSC03233.jpg


DSC03235.jpg


DSC03238.jpg


DSC03240.jpg


DSC03243.jpg


DSC03247.jpg


DSC03251.jpg


DSC03255.jpg


DSC03256.jpg


DSC03259.jpg


DSC03262.jpg


DSC03265.jpg


The highlight coaster here is GO-ON from Meisho, a manufacturer I find to be very hit and miss. This one should have been excellent, and for many people it probably is. Unlike the usual “jet coasters” with triangular hills that don’t do anything, this one had some proper airtime. However, the cramped seats (a Meisho fixture) and awful OTSR that sat right on my collarbone, coupled with being taller than 5 feet 2, made for quite an unpleasant overall experience. It wasn’t rough, but the strong airtime coupled with how the hard OTSRs were sitting on me left me with actual bruises. With lap bars, I would’ve loved it.

Bunch of pictures, including from the oven-like Ferris wheel. I’m so used to the Chinese air-conditioned ones that I forget how stiflingly uncomfortable a lot of the Japanese ones are. “Japan is living in 2050” my arse.

DSC03266.jpg


DSC03269.jpg


DSC03272.jpg


DSC03274.jpg


DSC03276.jpg


DSC03280.jpg


DSC03283.jpg


DSC03290.jpg


DSC03294.jpg


DSC03296.jpg


DSC03299.jpg


DSC03303.jpg


DSC03308.jpg


DSC03312.jpg


DSC03313.jpg


DSC03316.jpg


DSC03328.jpg


Since it was relatively stress free to get to the park, I assumed that the buses back to the nearest station must run pretty regularly, but it turns out that I’d accidentally just timed it perfectly on the way in. It was lucky that I hadn’t taken the quick detour to leave my bag at the hotel, since I would’ve missed a bus and ended up waiting around for ages. The buses only ran once every couple of hours, and when I finally noticed that when checking the return trip, I had the option of either leaving pretty much straight away (all creds and Ferris wheel done) or hanging around for another 2 hours. I went for the first option. Had GO-ON been more comfortable, I would’ve stuck around for a few rerides. Have the rest of the pictures I’ve uploaded, and further behold the stupidity of the looper’s first drop.

DSC03334.jpg


DSC03339.jpg


DSC03343.jpg


DSC03353.jpg


DSC03357.jpg


DSC03360.jpg


DSC03381.jpg


DSC03390.jpg


Hokkaido Greenland? Meh. It’s just one of those typical smaller Japanese parks that continues to cling on despite relatively few visitors and no new rides for years. Go for the +4 if you’re in the area.

My hotel was just across the street from the main train station, and I ended up getting there by mid-afternoon, so had plenty of time for a wander around Sapporo city centre. I’d left time on the Monday for this as well. I just walked across to some old(ish) building that were highlighted on tourist maps but weren’t actually very interesting, and through a bit of long, narrow park that runs across the city.

DSC03393.jpg


DSC03396.jpg


DSC03400.jpg


DSC03403.jpg


DSC03406.jpg


DSC03410.jpg


DSC03812.jpg


DSC03818.jpg


DSC03822.jpg


DSC03828.jpg


There’s nothing wrong with the place. It’s probably very pleasant to live in for the few months a year it’s not buried in snow, but it was all a bit non-descript. People come to Hokkaido for the scenery/nature/skiing though, not the cities.

Rusutsu in the next bit.
 
On to the main point of taking this rather excessive trip then.

Rusutsu, through a surprisingly English-friendly website, offer shuttle buses between central Sapporo and the resort. Through sheer luck, the pick-up point was directly behind my hotel (chosen purely for train station access before I looked into the logistics of getting to the park), taking about 2 minutes from the time I closed my hotel room door. This was all organised exceptionally well, with a check-in desk (need to prebook the bus) and English-speaking staff. I got there about half an hour before the official leaving time, but as soon as the first bus was full (they had three waiting – I’m guessing based on how many pre-bookings they have), they sent it off.

It drops off outside the main hotel of the resort, which you then walk through to get into the park. It was all much bigger than I was expecting as in it was more of a proper “resort” than some other parks that just throw that word in as soon as a they shove in a few rooms for overnight stays. In the winter it’s a ski resort (which I imagine gets much busier), and in the summer it has the amusement park, which is actually a bit of a walk from the hotel.

DSC03411.jpg


DSC03413.jpg


DSC03414.jpg


DSC03418.jpg


I’d been expecting to arrive at the drop off at 10am, but since they sent the bus as soon as it filled up, I was in the park a little after 09:30. My plan had been to head straight to the ultra twister, but since I was one of the only people in the park at that point, I just did a few coasters as I got to them, starting with a solo ride on the Meisho shuttle loop. I thought I must’ve done a couple before, but I hadn’t. It turns out they were from Senyo Kogyo and were quite a bit different (and I’d argue better than this one).

DSC03423.jpg


DSC03424.jpg


DSC03426.jpg


I knocked off the Togo wild mouse thing and then headed up a hill in search of the ultra twister, knocking off the Ferris wheel before it started getting too hot. I had no idea they also had a first-gen Intamin drop tower, but it seems that, like most of the others now, it’s probably done for good. From the hill and the Ferris wheel:

DSC03429.jpg


DSC03431.jpg


DSC03436.jpg


DSC03439.jpg


DSC03442.jpg


DSC03451.jpg


DSC03452.jpg


DSC03454.jpg


DSC03458.jpg


DSC03461.jpg


DSC03463.jpg


DSC03465.jpg


DSC03469.jpg


DSC03470.jpg


DSC03478.jpg


DSC03481.jpg


DSC03483.jpg


DSC03487.jpg


DSC03491.jpg


DSC03493.jpg


Onto the bucket list coaster, with some slight cred anxiety since I hadn’t see it running during the Ferris wheel ride but also knowing there was nobody else around yet. It’s also in a very hidden and inconvenient location; if you didn’t know there was a coaster up there, it could be very easy to actually miss.

Anyway, yay, open. I got a solo ride on what must’ve been the first dispatch of the day. For anyone who’s unaware, this is a unique ultra twister in that it uses a dive loop at the far end to turn the car back around. With the standard model, it stops at the end and a switch/tilt track sends the car backwards through the return section. Because this one doesn’t stop, it absolutely hauls through the final two inversions.

DSC03495.jpg


DSC03496.jpg


DSC03497.jpg


DSC03500.jpg


DSC03504.jpg


The staff and operations here were great as well. The ride op was from the Philippines, spoke excellent English and actually encouraged me to hold the OTSR away from my body while it locked to make it “more comfortable and fun”. Typically, in Japan, you’re getting stapled. A lot of Togo coasters have restraints that lock but then don’t move again. They stay in position and don’t/can’t tighten once they’ve been locked. The ride op was getting me to hold the restraint just away from my shoulders while they locked it, so that it wasn’t actually touching me. This made for quite a freaky vertical lift ascent since I couldn’t feel the restraint, but definitely made for a better ride.

DSC03508.jpg


DSC03512.jpg


DSC03515.jpg




It had on;y just gone 10 by this point, so I’d already knocked off three coasters and Ferris wheel before the time I thought I’d be arriving. I also had a lot of time left before the bus back into the city, realsied that it wasn’t going to be getting very busy despite being a Sunday, so slowed everything down bit.

The family coaster was closed (SBNO?), but if anything here was going to be closed, I wasn’t too bothered that it was this one. It was also the first time in ages to do a Togo stand up. I’m pretty sure this was the same as Momonga, removed fairly recently from Yomiuriland, but whereas that had options of a sit-down or stand-up train, this only had stand-up. It had the same sliding station set up (think Mr. Freeze), but was only using one side and on one train. It wasn’t great honestly. As far as Togo stand-ups go, it’s the least inspired layout.

DSC03522.jpg


DSC03526.jpg


DSC03527.jpg


DSC03532.jpg


DSC03537.jpg


DSC03540.jpg


DSC03541.jpg


DSC03546.jpg


DSC03549.jpg


I rarely bother with log flumes, but did this one since I obviously had loads of time. There are some decent views of the parks crappy jet coaster from the entry/exit bridge, along with some brief views of the ultra twister, which is pretty much invisible from anywhere else except the Ferris wheel.

DSC03555.jpg


DSC03561.jpg


DSC03567.jpg


DSC03568.jpg


DSC03572.jpg


DSC03575.jpg


DSC03578.jpg


DSC03580.jpg


DSC03583.jpg


DSC03587.jpg


The Vekoma SLC looked really nice with all the flowers around the base, and you could walk under the whole thing rather than it being fenced off. It was absolutely awful though – one of the worst I’ve done, but that could be an age thing – as was the Arrow corkscrew. I’m all for preserving the older Japanese coasters, which are becoming increasingly rare, but there’s no need to “save” these pieces of s**t.

DSC03600.jpg


DSC03602.jpg


DSC03608.jpg


DSC03614.jpg


DSC03618.jpg


DSC03620.jpg


DSC03626.jpg


DSC03628.jpg


DSC03631.jpg


DSC03634.jpg


DSC03638.jpg


DSC03644.jpg


DSC03647.jpg


DSC03653.jpg


DSC03670.jpg


Creds done by midday, with ultra twister and shuttle loop rerides, I took the cable car up to the top of a hill. This could be an upcharge, but it was included in the ticket option I’d gone for. There are some excellent views of the surrounding mountains, and a “Mount Fuji” style volcano that I’ve now forgotten the name of and can’t be arsed to check.

DSC03674.jpg


DSC03677.jpg


DSC03689.jpg


DSC03691.jpg


DSC03700.jpg


DSC03701.jpg


DSC03704.jpg


DSC03706.jpg


DSC03712.jpg


DSC03715.jpg


As well as the closed drop tower, there was also a closed Togo (at least I’m assuming Togo) spinning flat ride thing. No idea what these are called, but they’re generally very good. This seemed less SBNO than the drop tower, but who knows. Not sure if I’d have ridden it or not if it were open. I’ve done a couple of them, and they’re excellent, but I’m not sure how much I’d enjoy one these days.

Children gambling on duck racing was also a thing.













The ultra twister deserved a couple of rerides. I wasn’t massively feeling it at that point in the day since it is an absolutely ridiculous contraption, but there’s pretty much no chance of me riding it again. It seemed way better maintained than the other surviving ultra loopers, and was still running multiple cars, but it’s still only a matter of time really. I’d only make the effort for this park again with an extremely major new addition, and by the time that happens (probably never), the ultra twister will be long gone.

DSC03768.jpg

DSC03774.jpg

DSC03779.jpg

DSC03782.jpg

DSC03785.jpg

DSC03790.jpg

DSC03796.jpg


All the coasters here closed for around half an hour (mostly staggered). I found it quite entertaining to watch the maintenance workers have to ride the coaster to test their own handiwork. I suppose it guarantees a good job is getting done.

DSC03799.jpg


DSC03801.jpg


And that’s Rusutsu Resort finally done. I’d had a fair bit of hanging around, so had taken the day slowly after the initial cred grab, taking time for the views at the top of the mountain, actually sitting down to eat etc. I liked this place a lot. On paper, it’s just got a bunch of old coasters, but most of what they have is very rare these days. The amusement park area is small, but the whole resort is bigger than I’d thought it would be. I’d been expecting one of those crappy Japanese parks (see the park from the day before) that were just clinging on, but this place is still very much a major player. Everything was very well maintained, landscaping was lovely, everything was being run well etc.

Not that it’s something I expect or care about, but I was also surprised by the decent level of English from a lot of the staff throughout the park, right from the beginning with the bus check in, to hotel staff/ticket checkers, some of the ride ops and staff at food kiosks. At one point, I did my usual “point at that” when ordering snacks/drinks, and the guy behind the counter actually spoke to me in pretty fluent English. I’m wondering if that’s because they get a lot of international visitors during the ski season?

I had a flight mid-afternoon the next day, so had a morning to kill in Sapporo. I walked through the same park again, this time heading up the TV tower and then taking a bus (not too far) to the Sapporo Beer Museum, which I didn’t have the time (or inclination) to actually go inside, but it looks quite nice from the outside.

DSC03836.jpg


DSC03842.jpg


DSC03844.jpg


DSC03859.jpg


DSC03862.jpg


DSC03864.jpg


DSC03867.jpg


DSC03884.jpg


DSC03885.jpg


DSC03890.jpg


DSC03895.jpg


Back to the train station for the train to the airport and direct flight back to Hong Kong.

DSC03900.jpg


Yeah, this was a bit excessive for a weekend trip considering the distance, especially the need to travel overnight on the Friday and hang around in Narita airport until the first fights the next day, but I really just wanted to get Rusutsu done, especially for the ultra twister. I was getting tired of seeing so many “WOW THIS IS CRAZY! WOULD YOU RIDE THIS?!” basics getting it when I hadn’t.
 
I was in Sapporo for a few days many years ago (for the 2002 World Cup, when England beat Argentina 1-0 - YAY!) and really liked the place. Didn't do any of the parks (as I was non-goon-wise then) but did do the TV Tower, Odori park etc and the beer museum (which was good and they gave you several beers at the end of the tour too) and then we went to the associated beer-garden-barbecue thing which was a timed 90 minutes all-you-can-eat-and-drink thing. Which for a bunch of English football yobs was taken as a challenge - great times. Was also wowed by the underground shopping centre that seemed to spread for miles from the train station, obviously weather sealed for the winter-conditions.
 
Back
Top