What's new

Tibidabo | Merlí | Funtime Drop Tower | 2024

And, done! You can already see the tower from many places in Barcelona.

This drop tower will have one of the greatest views on any drop ride in the world! I am eager to see it testing, since the ride cycle will feature a stop halfway up the tower, which will provide a nice opportunity to take in the views and the height.

To mods: Can you move this to Other ride construction, please? :)

As of this past Sunday Merli is still not finished. The ride itself appears done, but the queue and entrance area still needs work.

QbmMBDj_d.webp

Picture taken by me.

As of this past Sunday Merli is still not finished. The ride itself appears done, but the queue and entrance area still needs work.

QbmMBDj_d.webp

Picture taken by me.
The area looks rather bare to me. And judging by other people's pictures the gondola has been in that position for days, which makes me wonder if there are any mechanical issues with the ride. I am not entirely sure if it has even fully tested yet.

The park has been extremely quiet on their socials. Heck, Barcelona was full of ads announcing the ride's opening date yet the park refuses to give more information.

Hopefully, they can get it up and running by July. Otherwise they will miss summer season.

Finally the drop tower was seen testing a few days ago, with some employees riding it and a TV crew shooting some promotional material for it.

I am sure that the ride's programme shown in the video will be modified, as it doesn't spin and it doesn't stop halfway up the tower and when it reaches the top it drops like a rock instead of waiting to create suspense.

Hopefully it can't be long before it opens to the public!

To mods: can you move this to Other ride construction, please? :)

Nah, seatbelts can and should be a safety feature on these rides going forward. I became a ride op in Orlando shortly after the incident and the effect it had on guests and ride ops (I even worked with a former Freefall attendant) can't be overstated. At least this way no one can mess with the restraints as much.

In the case of the Orlando accident, when the person modified the restraint sensor, he would have just made the seatbelt longer to match. A seatbelt that long with those forces can either snap or severely injure a rider.

What make you think that a seatbelt would have prevented it?

For anyone planning to visit the park and hopefully ride Merlí, its opening date has been set:

July 27th