What's new

Top 5 or 10 coasters in your home country

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
I apologize if this topic or something similar has been done recently but i could not find anything like it using the search engine so i assume it has not been done. Anyway, here are my top 10 home country (UK) coasters:

1. Nemesis: I don't really know what i can say that hasn't been said a million times before, but it is a really spectacular ride combining intensity, terrain and just an all round great fun ride. 10/10

2. Colossus: In front row, this ride is great, smooth and thoroughly enjoyable with many great elements, most notably the heart-line rolls and the airtime hill that dives underneath the gift shop. 9/10

3. Stealth: Short, but a real adrenaline rush from start to finish. It has one of the best, if not the best launches out of any coaster that i have ridden and the airtime is pretty good too. 9/10

4. Swarm: Wasn't hugely impressed when i first rode it, but now every time i ride it just gets better and better and now with the ability to ride it backwards the ride has become more diverse. 9/10

5. Wild Mouse: Very unique in every way as i could not imagine a coaster as out of control as this one with some insane laterals and airtime that surprise you every ride. 9/10

6. Megaphobia: Quite a rough woodie, but one that is exciting and easily re-rideable because of some great airtime and craziness which is pretty much everything you could ask for in a woodie. 8.5/10

7. Nemesis Inferno: Not as intense or as interesting as Nemesis, but it is very smooth and is really good ride all the way through. It also has a great zero g roll. 8.5/10

8. Air: I know a lot of people find this dull and i agree it isn't the fastest or the most intense, but it is really graceful and i enjoy the free flying feeling that it offers. 8.5/10

9. Grand National: This woodie does have some great airtime, but i have to say i prefer the more modern woodies that have fast twists and turns as well as airtime. 8.5/10

10. Mumbo Jumbo: Easily the most underrated coaster in the UK. I think it is really fun, especially the steep drop and the inversions that leave you hanging longer than most. 8/10

I've never been to any theme park outside of the US but I'll say mine anyway:

1. Top Thrill Dragster, Cedar Point - Wasn't expecting this to become my favorite at all, but I love everything about it: the theming, the sound effects, the launch, the vertical twists, the ejector airtime, and especially how it uses lap bars.

2. Millenium Force, Cedar Point - I really enjoyed the great speeds and height, along with that wonderful first drop.

3. Bizarro, Six Flags New England - In my opinion, this coaster has possibly the best layout/design. Nice and smooth with some great airtime.

4. Manta, Sea World Orlando - I know it may not be top ten material for others, but this is currently my only flying coaster, and I really enjoyed the unique feeling. Pretzel loop, water spouts, and theming were some of the highlights.

5. Verbolten Busch Gardens Williamsburg - Like Manta, this coaster may not be good enough for the top ten, but from the excellent theming, the trains, the launches, the indoor section (with some nasty surprises), and the terrain layout, this is one heck of a ride. Definitely worth re-riding!

6. Apollo's Chariot, Busch Gardens Williamsburg - Floaty airtime is what this ride's all about. Although as much as I really liked it, I liked Verbolten just a little bit more.

7. Magnum XL-200, Cedar Point - I know this coaster is pretty rough and hurts your legs, but that's what makes this really exciting and fun!

8. Maverick, Cedar Point - With airtime, intensity, launches, and unique elements, this ride has a little bit of everything! Although I do remember my head banging around on my only ride on this, which is why I like some of these rides above more than this one. But when I return to Cedar Point this year, I wouldn't be surprised to see this move up a couple spots.

9. Griffon, Busch Gardens Williamsburg - Probably one of the smoothest rides I've been on. It has both some ejector and floaty airtime, even in the inversions. It may be kinda short, but definitely worth it.

10. Alpengeist, Busch Gardens Williamsburg - Man this is one tall B&M Invert (isn't it taller than Apollo?). It had smooth and intense moments, with some great speed, theming, and moments where I thought my legs would get chopped off!

1. ThunderCoaster, TusenFryd. It's a big woodie, and the very model of a large rollercoaster in Norway. It's fast, it rattles, it looks great with the big wooden structure, and it's easily the best known coaster in Norway.

2. SpeedMonster, TusenFryd. Blue, launched and it goes upside-down. It's also a very smooth and enjoyable ride, and it looks damn great, encircling the entrance escalators of TusenFryd. It's not as intense as ThunderCoaster, but it doesn't beat you up and has a neat attempt at themeing, so it's easily one of the top coasters in the country.

3. Dvergbanen, TusenFryd. The smallest roller coaster in the world. You could put it up on a tennis field, with room for the queue, a maintenance shed and a booth to sell ORPs from. The tyre-driven lift hill has three motors. The length of the train is approximately one fifth of the total track length. And it's a proper coaster, it's gravity-driven.

4. Western-Expressen, TusenFryd. Remember I said that SpeedMonster is easily among the best coasters in the country? Well, that's because the rest of them aren't that great. Western-Expressen is decidedly "meh", but I suppose it's somewhat fun for beginners. It's bigger than a kiddy coaster and it doesn't beat you senseless. By Norwegian standards, that makes it one of the most enjoyable coasters in the country.

5. Loopen, TusenFryd. See a pattern here? With Dragon gone, TusenFryd's fifth coaster makes my "national top 5". That's because those five coasters are the only I've ridden in the country. Norway sports an amazing three other coasters outside TusenFryd, two of which are kiddies and the last is a Reverchon Spinning Mouse. Whoopedy-do.
Anyway, this ride stands as a great example of Vekoma roughness. It's short (drop, loop, turn, corkscrew, turn, brakes), it's uneventful, and there's a kink right after the corkscrew that tries to move your head a few centimetres off-center of your shoulders. It's also iconic in Norway, because it was the biggest coaster in Norway for many years, and remains the only one to date to feature a loop. For some reason, the train takes 28 passengers. It's crap, but it's the fifth best coaster I've ridden in this country that still operates. Two of the last three are situated in a park near Stavanger, while the last one is at a tiny tourist attraction in Lillehammer (famous for the 1994 Olympics).

In no particular order: Wild Mouse, Jubilee Odyssey, Oblivion, Ultimate, Nemesis, Stealth, Megafobia, Swarm and Grand National.

Top 9 because I really cant think of any others that stand out like those. There's a second group of coasters that I like, but I dont think they can be widely considered amongst our country's best; Velocity, G-Force, Nemesis Inferno, Air, Dragons Fury and Steeplechase.

Pokemaniac said:
1. ThunderCoaster, TusenFryd. It's a big woodie, and the very model of a large rollercoaster in Norway. It's fast, it rattles, it looks great with the big wooden structure, and it's easily the best known coaster in Norway.

2. SpeedMonster, TusenFryd. Blue, launched and it goes upside-down. It's also a very smooth and enjoyable ride, and it looks damn great, encircling the entrance escalators of TusenFryd. It's not as intense as ThunderCoaster, but it doesn't beat you up and has a neat attempt at themeing, so it's easily one of the top coasters in the country.

3. Dvergbanen, TusenFryd. The smallest roller coaster in the world. You could put it up on a tennis field, with room for the queue, a maintenance shed and a booth to sell ORPs from. The tyre-driven lift hill has three motors. The length of the train is approximately one fifth of the total track length. And it's a proper coaster, it's gravity-driven.

4. Western-Expressen, TusenFryd. Remember I said that SpeedMonster is easily among the best coasters in the country? Well, that's because the rest of them aren't that great. Western-Expressen is decidedly "meh", but I suppose it's somewhat fun for beginners. It's bigger than a kiddy coaster and it doesn't beat you senseless. By Norwegian standards, that makes it one of the most enjoyable coasters in the country.

5. Loopen, TusenFryd. See a pattern here? With Dragon gone, TusenFryd's fifth coaster makes my "national top 5". That's because those five coasters are the only I've ridden in the country. Norway sports an amazing three other coasters outside TusenFryd, two of which are kiddies and the last is a Reverchon Spinning Mouse. Whoopedy-do.
Anyway, this ride stands as a great example of Vekoma roughness. It's short (drop, loop, turn, corkscrew, turn, brakes), it's uneventful, and there's a kink right after the corkscrew that tries to move your head a few centimetres off-center of your shoulders. It's also iconic in Norway, because it was the biggest coaster in Norway for many years, and remains the only one to date to feature a loop. For some reason, the train takes 28 passengers. It's crap, but it's the fifth best coaster I've ridden in this country that still operates. Two of the last three are situated in a park near Stavanger, while the last one is at a tiny tourist attraction in Lillehammer (famous for the 1994 Olympics).

Well, still more than here. So it's 0 for me on this lost

There are two ways I could compile this list. I could post my personal top 10 UK coasters or I could post what I think are the 10 best and must-ride coasters in the UK. Tbh, both lists would be fairly similar but I think I'll list the 10 "must-ride" UK coasters. In no particular order...

The Nemesis, Alton Towers
Big One, Blackpool
The Jubilee Odyssey, Fantasy Island
The Stealth, Thorpe Park
Swarm, Thorpe Park
Ultimate, Lightwater Valley
The Rollercoaster, Great Yarmouth
The Megafobia, Oakwood
The Oblivion, Alton Towers
The Colossus, Thorpe Park

That list does not represent my 10 ten UK coasters. It's the coasters that I'd recommend to somebody who has never visited the UK before so they can get an snapshot of interesting and fun coasters in the UK.

Ian said:
The Nemesis, Alton Towers
The Jubilee Odyssey, Fantasy Island
The Stealth, Thorpe Park
The Rollercoaster, Great Yarmouth
The Megafobia, Oakwood
The Oblivion, Alton Towers
The Colossus, Thorpe Park

:roll:

The point... You missed it :p

The Ian's list is pretty good I think. Personally for me it's:

1. Megafobia. I just adore the coaster. It's a bit short and does kind of lose out a little towards the end, but that second drop is fantastic and I always come off the ride laughing. It's just a coaster that I really. really love to ride on.

2. Grand National - when it's behaving. When it isn't in the mood to utterly destroy you, The Grand National is stunning. It's violent, full of airtime and terrifying. When it IS in the mood to utterly destroy you, it's those three things multiplied by 100 and is horrid.

3. Nemesis I guess - it's the only UK ride where my first ride of the season on it leaves me breathless and my heart pounding. Late in the day in late October after drizzle, it's a number 1 coaster, absolutely sublime. It's a shame that the rest of the time it can be "meh" :lol:

4. Oblivion. I just adore the drop. It doesn't scare me any more, but unlike drop towers which don't scare me and I don't enjoy the feeling, with Oblivion I love the feeling too. I especially like the whole hole thing, with the dark and the wet and cold...

5. Jubilee Odyssey. I loved my only ride on it. The scale of it and that SLC drop that I adore only so huge. I really, really enjoyed my ride on it - but then it shut, and has been shut on every visit since.

6. Shockwave at Drayton - Shush! I love the Zero-G and always enjoy the ride.

7. The Swarm. Good fun. Solid ride. Ticks the right buttons for me, but is at the same time almost unremarkable.

8. Big Dipper. Again, just good fun and I've never had any massive pain from it.

9. Nemesis Inferno. Solid ride, can be nice and intense at times. I always ride it and forget how good it actually is.

10. Sadly, Knightmare is SBNO, so I can't not put it in this list ( ;) ), so tenth place goes to... Erm... Cobra at Paultons Park :) Another coaster which is just brilliant fun.

1: Colossus
2: Nemesis
3: The Swarm
4: Stealth
5: Velocity
6: Nemesis Inferno
7: Air
8: Mumbo Jumbo
9: Th13teen
10: Rollercoaster GYPB
Hard to think of that list!

This would be fun if koppen or some other swede on the forum made this list as well! :p

1) Insane - Gröna Lund
2) Jetline - Gröna Lund
3) Vilda Musen - Gröna Lund
4) Hang Over - Liseberg (does defunct ones count?)
5) Lisebergsbanan - Liseberg
6) Kanonen - Liseberg
7) Balder - Liseberg
8) Kvasten - Gröna Lund
9) Twister - Gröna Lud
10) Galaxi 2000 - Hassans Nöjesfält Åhus

That's probably the worst top 10 I've ever put togehter... :lol:

Going off of Ian's idea, this is my take on the top 10 "must-ride" coasters for the US (some of which I admittedly haven't done & am listing based on reputation):

Boulder Dash
Top Thrill Dragster
El Toro
Bizarro
Millennium Force
X2
Phoenix
Outlaw Run
The Voyage
Magnum XL-200

So yeah, there's probably too much CP on there. But I also can't decide which of those 10 rides to replace with something else, either.

^^ Glad to see I'm not the only person to think that Twister is s**t.

Yeah, well done for squeezing a coaster into such a small space. Too bad it sucks. Those trains/restraints are awful as well.

I don't know why people are so excited to get them on The Voyage; they're going to ruin it.

8. Dragon's Fury
7. Rita
6. The Swarm
5. Grand National
4. Stealth
3. Nemesis
2. Megafobia
1. Oblivion

Well that was a challenge, and I couldn't even think of anything to make up 10. :p

1. Bizarro, SFNE
2. Nitro, SFGA
3. El Toro, SFGA
4. Boulderdash, LC
5. The Rock-It, USO
6. Cyclone, SFNE
7. Incredible Hulk, UIoA
8. The Mummy, USO
9.Kingda Ka, SFGA
10. Thunderbolt, SFNE

(I haven't really traveled much)

^ Glad to see someone who enjoys SFNE Cyclone. Yes, it's very rough and wild, but that's what I love about woodies.

Ok, I'll take the one from Canada out of the 5 spot and this is my patriotic top 10:
#1 Apollo's Chariot
#2 Goliath (SFOG)
#3 Intimidator
#4 Millennium Force
#5 Alpengeist
#6 Thunderhead
#7 Steel Force
#8 Kraken
#9 Talon
#10 Mr. Freeze (SFOT - before they turned it backward)

1. Colossus
2. Grand National
4. Swarm/Air
3. Nemesis
5. Ultimate/ Big One

PS: Yes I've heard many times that I have an odd taste

fefa said:
PS: Yes I've heard many times that I have an odd taste

I'm sure that would be true about me too. I am big on planning ahead and I love making lists.
I have written myself a top 50 coasters. I know there are some on there and some left off that
everyone would say "you got to be kidding".