What's new

X:NWO lights on for a week

Ollie

CF Legend
Got a text from my brothers yesterday who went to Thorpe and they said the lights were on in X://NWO when they went on it. When they went on it later the lights were still on and when they asked the staff they apparently said that they're going to stay on for the next week or so.
They said it was because it was making people sick and disorientating them but I don't get why they'd do it just for a week?
Anyone else know about this or why they've done it?

Erm, Ollie, they've been on for ages now. Like, many, many weeks...

Not been to Thorpe though, but from people's TRs on here, they have been on for at least a month, maybe even 2.

Ah ok. I haven't been for a couple of weeks. They were on last time I went on it though.
It does sound quite cool though. I bet knowing my luck they'll turn it off when I go next week. :p

The lights were on 14th August when I was there. So I've only done X:NWO with the lights and it ain't that bad in my opinion :p

Ollie said:
They said it was because it was making people sick and disorientating them but I don't get why they'd do it just for a week?

So, then that means that 13 is going to have the lights turned on then.

I didn't think that you could find a way to make X any worse than it was, but by gosh Thorpe have!

The only interesting thing about having the lights on is seeing just how many trains can get around that thing. There were SIX trains today! That's just insane!

Otherwise, it has just made a very mediocre ride even worse! What's the point in having a ride were the queue is darker than the ride??? :?

Must go back before they stop doing this, I didn't have time when I went the other day to do x-wtf, but the lights were on then. It would just be interesting to compare.
Maybe I'll have to pop in after work one night.

My first time on it was with the lights on. I'm ruined, I think it's actually quite a good ride. Like, at least a 6/10. Perhaps even a 6.5.

Even though I normally give it a wide berth,I'm actually quite intrigued now to see what difference this has made.

Can't see me getting to Thorpe anymore this year,but maybe if it's proving popular,it'll remain a permanent feature.

I thought it was vastly improved with the lights on! But that may be a geek reaction to finally seeing the track :p.

It looked more impressive seeing it all crammed into that space, and at least it distracts you from the idiotic MCBRs.

Oh yeah, btw, don't know who it was that said they'd switched them off again... but they were still on when I was there last Thurs (30th Sept).

It just made me spend the whole ride thinking/saying "Eugh, there's actually quite a bit of space in here - they really could use it for something pretty decent!". As Slayed said, it is quite interesting to be able to see all the track. Also, the very dim level of the lighting make it seem kind of eerie somehow... possibly more so than in the pitch black.

My main problem with this ride is the MCBRs. I really wish they'd just run it on one train and therefore be able to skip the block brakes. Or maybe even 2 trains? Surely there's enough track sections to be able to run 2 without having to keep stopping them? When I rode it on Thursday, the penultimate set of brakes (the ones on a lift hill) held us for AGES. Like actually ages. Far longer than I ever remember being held before. Why? Because we had to wait for each train in turn to get to the end of its section so that the next one could go, and so forth. At least with the lights on you can see this all happening, but its still infuriating. Oh, plus, the ride was completely walk-on. As in, half empty trains being despatched. The biggest queue of the day for ANY ride in the park was 30 minutes. I really don't think that X:\WTF needed the 3 or 4 or whatever trains that it was running.

To me, with the MCBRs as they are, the ride is utterly pointless. I go on a coaster for a bit of speed and for a continuous ride. When that ride is halted every 20 seconds, and you're sat still longer then you're moving, what's the point?

I went on Sun 26th Sep and they were on.
The next day I saw a tweet (can't remember who the hell from now) saying they were back off again. Maybe it's a bit hit and miss?

Personally, I prefer the lights on as it makes the ride so much more interesting to look at, and as Vadge says, creepy in the half light.
However, the ride is really for families, and maybe its scarier for the kids in the dark. Anyone with kids like to comment?

Did anyone notice the dummy torso on the rhs at one of the brake runs? It made me laugh so hard! Was it always there (maybe lit up in the dark with strobes or something?) or have they just thought, that bit of the ride's a bit lacking, I know, we'll nick something of saw and whack it up there?!! Just bizarre!

The lights also showed up the mist -making thingys above the track, which
no longer work. Ohh dear Thorpe. Sort it out please!

(ohh and give Colossus a lick of paint while you're at it, she's looking v. sorry for herself atm)