What's new

Your (stupid) pre-coaster enthusiast thoughts on Theme Parks

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Before you were a coaster enthusiast, did you have any thoughts and or comments on Amusement Parks? Mainly stupid ones? Here's a few:

Kingda Ka copied Top Thrill Dragster!

What if the car flies off?

What if the car stops during the ride?

<insert good coaster here> is bad because it's not at Cedar Point!

We weren't born into CoasterForce, so you must have had at least 1 stupid Amusement Park comment/question. It's ok, we don't bite. At least I don't THINK we do...

Edited title to fit - ECG

Re: Your (stupid) thoughts on Amusement Parks pre-coaster en

There are no good parks in Europe...

First SLC I went on... thought "ooh thats like that one at Alton Towers"

I don't really remember saying anything stupid. I never really say much without having done research when it comes to these things :p . My top 10 was a bit weird when I was just becoming an enthusiast though. It was something like:

1. Goliath
2. Xpress
3. Vogel Rok
4. Vliegende Hollander
5. Speed of Sound
6. Python
7. Bob
8. Joris en de Draak
9. Robin Hood
10. Rattlesnake

So drastically different now. I can't even imagine what I thought back then.

Also, Supersonic Oddysey was #1 on my "want to ride" list...

nadroJ said:
This is something that I notice a lot with the Dutch GP (or even enthusiasts). So many people saying that everything is so much better in America. Obviously I haven't been there, but why do people always assume the grass is greener elsewhere. When I'm talking to people, I usually get the same thing. "You think Vliegende Hollander is well themed? You should travel more, in Euro Disney everything is sooo much better". That's why I prefer international enthusiast forums.

david morton said:
First SLC I went on... thought "ooh thats like that one at Alton Towers"

I never had a problem with this, I was always convinced that Katun is in a league of its own compared to Blue Tornado (the only two Inverts known to a non-enthusiast in Slovenia), so I was always telling my schoolmates how they have to try Katun before they rate Blue Tornado as good (most of them did end up agreeing upon their first ride).

I can hardly comment on my pre-enthusiast thoughts, since I spent a long time "becoming an enthusiast" (that was between I first discovered rcdb and joined CoasterForce, so kind of 2 and a half years altogether), but I can still remember some few thoughts from that time:
- when I was 6, I was convinced that Family Adventure (Mirabilandia's ex rollerskater) is amongst the fastest coasters around...
- same goes for Schweizer Bobbahn in EP, a coaster that I first rode when I was 10. Somebody had told me and I bought it (silly really, considering how ridiculously slow the ride actually is)
- And for some time I was pretty much certain there is a Boomerang around that doesn't have a loop and it just has a Cobra Roll...

Pretty sure there are some more, but I can't think of any at this moment...

I used to think that the Big One was the tallest coaster in the world.....after Infusion.

Obviously, Nemesis came third in height. :wink:

And for some reason, I also used to think that Oblivion and the Big One were the same kind of coaster.

I used to think the drop on the back hole was almost vertical

Parks in America are sooooooo much better

They'll never get roller coasters in China or Korea.....

'Wooden coasters don't have wheels below the track like metal ones so they can't have steep/fast hills...'

I used to think that the Big One was the tallest coaster in the world...

To be fair, Blackpool practically believed that themselves for a while.

Cedar Point is the greatest park in the world.

Space Mountain is inside like Rock N' Roller coaster so it must go upside down also.
Wooden coasters are not very good. (Only had been on a handful and they were all vile)

Kingda Ka copied Top Thrill Dragster!

Wait, it isn't? :lol:

"Boomerangs are the most clever engineering in all of roller coasters."

Ha this thread is hilarious!

I can t remember much tbh but I think I was also one of those 'wooden coasters aren't good' kind of people to start off with!

Snoo said:
Cedar Point is the greatest park in the world.
Same here. :roll:
There's no such thing as a good kiddie coaster. :lol:

nadroJ said:

I thought theme parks were just Merlin, Disney, Universal and the odd local fair/seaside park. So essentially I thought there were no parks in Europe except DLP.

I also thought that bigger is better and coasters without loops are boring.

Re: Your (stupid) pre-coaster enthusiast thoughts on Theme P

When I was really young I thought that parks added a roller coaster every year.
For a ride to be safe it had to have OTSRs
I used to think that the only parks in the entire world was my home park, Disney, and Cedar Point (I was REALLY stupid then)

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Re: Your (stupid) pre-coaster enthusiast thoughts on Theme P

This one's embarrassing, when I was really young, I used to think Oblivion had an inversion underground. How on earth they'd fit one under there I do not know, but hey when you're a kid you don't exactly think logically.