What's new

A Disappointing Year in the UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I should let the PC police deal with this. For me (coming from a pretty single culture background, but without a racist bone in my body) it's all about the context it's used.

Here, Jake is using it in a jokingly offensive way because he's jealous of the goodies they're getting. I guess it's because I've never called anyone a name offensively in a racist manner, and always laugh off when people are "racist" towards me (as soon as people find out I'm a scouser, I get lots of jokes about locking up the valuables, stealing cars, etc) as nothing to worry about.

However, I've never had to suffer serious bullying and racial hatred. So I can understand why people would find offence in being called named in a generic manner like this.

So, I shall uphold the complaint. The report button and a PM to a Management Team gets things sorted quicker.

If you'd met Jake, you'd understand.

Anyway

Now I've finally seen the layout of the Ben 10 thing, I think I am going to be disappointed. Now, I know it's a "Junior" Boomerang, but
a) Older kids can have an inversion or two
b) IT'S NOT A BOOMERANG

I guess point a) is actually a bit daft considering the age of the kids that the theme will appeal to. Plus, I really don't know what I expected. I just think it looks really rather dull. Yes, I know that our opinion isn't relevant to a coaster aimed at kids, but still. Eugh.

boo·mer·ang
   /ˈbuməˌræŋ/ Show Spelled[boo-muh-rang]
–noun
a bent or curved piece of tough wood used by the Australian Aborigines as a throwing club, one form of which can be thrown so as to return to the thrower.

Nope, absolutely isn't ;)

Are we allowed to use the word Australian Aborigines? I've no idea what's offensive and what isn't any more :?

Erm, but it IS a boomerang, just a flat one. Kids are also scared ****less of inversions. Maxi-Minor_Furie is tall enough to ride a full-scale Boomerang, but he wouldn't (he has too much sense ;). He'll ride this one though... The one aimed for his age group ;)

furie said:
Are we allowed to use the word Australian Aborigines? I've no idea what's offensive and what isn't any more

Um, no. You have to call them Indigenous Convicits.

ALSO

ShilpaShetty_1368258c.jpg

Shilpa Poppadom <3

Well that's that topic killed. It was taken too far and will continue if it's not locked, then it becomes "offensive" territory.

There's choosing to be offended and there's actually being offended.

People seriously need to lighten up and stop being so politically correct all the time. Am I offended that the French call my race "rosbeefs" because of our food? No. It's a bloody joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.