What's new

Alton Towers forced to close

Should we just rename the topic "What's the weather like near you at the moment? Is it? It's nice here!" and be done with it?

Pic from the Flume...

6899664418_7f780a6f54_c.jpg

Safe to say, I think the right decision was made, especially when you read that people were literally stranded at the top end of the park by the Towers and required van rescue...

Nemesis Inferno said:
Pic from the Flume...

6899664418_7f780a6f54_c.jpg

Safe to say, I think the right decision was made, especially when you read that people were literally stranded at the top end of the park by the Towers and required van rescue...

Blimey!!!! That tree!

Was much other damage done?

Yeah, seeing that just shows why they closed the park. It's very lucky nobody was stood anywhere near that.

Wow either the tree must have been pretty rotten anyway or the wind must have been incredibly strong to knock that down.

Quite lucky the tree didn't fall onto the building.

Nemesis Inferno said:
That's one less planning hurdle they'll have to overcome when they finally decide to knock the whole thing down and use the space for a fab new B&M

spicy said:
Wow either the tree must have been pretty rotten anyway or the wind must have been incredibly strong to knock that down.

Quite lucky the tree didn't fall onto the building.
Let alone falling onto a building, it's lucky it didn't fall on a guest!

In response to Phil... Your description of the wind didn't seem severe enough to cause a park to close. Well, a park that's not cedar point.

See I just cannot believe that wind could remain strong enough down in alton towers with how protected it is by thick foliage. It's not as if tonnes of trees fell.

I agree with whoever said about the tree being rotten. It's still not the parks fault though, can't check all their thousands if trees for rot.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk

Sorry Joey.

It was **** windy as **** **** yesterday in Staffordshire. Is that better*? :lol:

We're also about 300 feet lower than Alton (I just checked and it means the slide in our garden is taller than the Big One :p ) and not on the edge of the peaks district. There was thick snow from "spot blizzards" on a lot of cars in the area. It was very unpleasant and (unlike Fantasy Island) Alton don't just shut up shop because "we think it's might be a bit windy at some point in the next six weeks".

I don't know why people are saying "they were unprepared"? I don't think they handled it well, not using the social media side of things, but it's not like they could have prepared for it by installing massive wind breaks all around the park or anything. It's **** weather, it happens.

I also agree they can't check every tree, but I think that any trees that are in a busy thoroughfare should be checked out at least once a year for stability. Can't believe the way that one went over.

*I tend not to do small talk, and dislike discussing things like the weather. So if I mention it, then it probably means that it's doing something really extreme ;)