What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Alton Towers | SW7 | Unknown Gestlauer World's 1st

Nemesis of oblivion said:
I still don't see how Saw is a bad ride. I love it and im sure this will be excellent.

I agree. The slight 'roughness', sharp transitions along with those restraints are what people complain about. I personally don't mind it. Look at Dare Devil Dive and Iron shark, they are probably one of their smoothest and are ageing well; so it is a bit silly in my opinion to judge Eurofighters if you've only ridden a fraction of them (I assume).

Re: Alton Towers | SW7 | Unknown (Gestlauer?) World's 1st

Thanks for the video CoasterCruiser!

Regarding Gerstlaurer hate... I don't hate them. The Eurofighter in particular is what they've become so well known for and it's a great ride because it offers a lot for very little. The problem I have when I ride them is that they seem absolutely incapable of getting a car to follow track off to the side. All the while they are going up and down, they are fantastic. Speed's first drop and hill is super awesome, but then it goes up into that turn and the car shudders around. Then I rode Rage at Adventure Island, which is certainly the least painful to date of the ones I've ridden, but it's also really boring. Without the height, the beyond vertical drop doesn't even feel like it happens. Then I rode Saw, and Saw I have the ...er, privilege, of having access to ride often and I know it varies from "okay" to "unbearable", sometimes within the space of hours. At the base of it's first drop, it's got a horrible shunt and then it continues to rumble around the track as if it's wheels are octagonal and as if there is no room for manoeuvre between the cars. And the last one I've been on is Mystery Mine, which has a horrendous first half and then compensates with a great finali, but it's still got the shuddering and incapable of turning corners smoothly problem. On top fo all this, they have horrible pacing. They pick up speed really quickly, but then loose momentum as fast as it was gained, causing them to hang awkwardly in inversions and speed uncomfortably through any dips in the course. On Mystery mine, the "hanging" is used to great effect, but it's not the case on Saw.

All the models I've been on have the same train design though. We know SW7 has different trains. I honestly believe the trains are where the problem lies. If the pacing issues, the shuddering and the incapability to deviate from a straight path is it's not resolved on SW7, it will be an awful ride. Because if Dollywood couldn't hide it, no one can.

All of this is pretty irrelevant though. What matters is what the majority of guests think, and I bet few complain about Saw's onslaught. I think most mistake it as being part of the theme, to be honest. I guess arguably, it is.

^I agree, I doubt it has anything to do with the track (wear on the track over time possibly). Alterations to the train weight, wheel assembly and shape/dynamics will hopefully be good with SW7.

The Saw thing is getting boring. They're not building another **** ing Saw, so regardless of whether you love or hate it, it has pretty much no bearing on this coaster.

Well we know it's a Gerstlauer, and we know that it will have 4 rows of 4 on the cars, so it's not a Eurofighter (unless it's two stuck together). Could it be a completely different car design?

gavin said:
The Saw thing is getting boring. They're not building another **** ing Saw, so regardless of whether you love or hate it, it has pretty much no bearing on this coaster.

To be honest the only reason it gets compared is because it's the same manufactuer in the same country.

Coasterlover said:
Well we know it's a Gerstlauer, and we know that it will have 4 rows of 4 on the cars, so it's not a Eurofighter (unless it's two stuck together). Could it be a completely different car design?

It could...look at Dare Devil Dive, hardly like the standard trains.

For me the issue on all euro fighters has been the restraints anyway, I have to sit with my head forward or I bang my head too much.

If the new trains sort this out I'm ok with it. I just hope it's not totally force less like speed/saw/Flunch and I hope it has force and flow like the launched ones I've done.

Tbh we all knew it was Gler anyway, we were told back in March at Thorpe. Just held out a small hope they were wrong but deep down we all sort of new anyway :)

It's not a Eurofighter anyway and it never was as said on about page 5. By Glers own website it says a Eurofighter has a vertical climb and drop and this does not have the drop. Of course they can change this if they want to and they may have already done so.

I need to go to Dollywood to ride their Eurofighter, as I've never ridden one before. From the POVs, they look pretty good with a smooth ride.

But then again, so did the Boss :)

IMO, stop hating on the ride before the track has even started going up. Here's an idea: ride the ride before you judge it.

If you'd ridden as many Eurofighters as most of us have, you'd understand where the hate was coming from. I once did 4 different ones in a week. That was fun.

Who here has ridden Dare Devil Dive ot Iron Shark, are they more of a smooth yet fun ride expeirence??

It's great to get a conformation, I'm staying positive and hoping it will be a good coaster.

Re: Alton Towers | SW7 | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1st

I don't hate the fact that it's Gerst, they DO have a fair amount of decent coasters. They also have a fair amount of crap, but all of those are EuroFighters, which this isn't, so I'm holding out for the awesome.

How did it take two weeks from the IAAPA EAS 2012 event for this to get posted?

...and I'm going to ask where my guy got his info.

rollermonkey said:

I bet its a thoroughly legitimate source, just massively out of date. Things change.

Out of curiousity, what did you here and when?

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

rollermonkey said:

It took 2 weeks because I had a lot of other interviews to edit and upload, and honestly I thought people knew it was gonna be a Gerstlauer already. Can't you just be grateful that I took the time posting this for you?

^Yes, very glad you've confirmed it :lol: I understood why it took so long too, so don't worry about it :)

marc said:
Tbh we all knew it was Gler anyway, we were told back in March at Thorpe. Just held out a small hope they were wrong but deep down we all sort of new anyway :)

It's not a Eurofighter anyway and it never was as said on about page 5. By Glers own website it says a Eurofighter has a vertical climb and drop and this does not have the drop. Of course they can change this if they want to and they may have already done so.

I said this last night.

a) All the hope there was that this wasn't going to be a Gerstlauer can now go into hoping that it will be a new variation and that it will ride well? Surely?

b) It IS a new "thing". You're right that Gerstlauer state clearly that a defining feature of the Eurofighter is the beyond vertical drop. Though I doubt they actually set that completely in stone. I can't see Alton going to them saying "we want a Eurofight, but don't want the beyond vertical drop" and Gerstlauer saying "sorry, take your £18 million to Maurer, our catalogue says 'Eurofighters have a beyond vertical drop' and that's what we offer - tough!".

c) The other Gerstlauer rides are actually good. Fluch gets good reviews and the Bobsled coasters are fantastic. With new trains and additional experience (remember, Saw was a first for them and Thorpe pushed them into doing something they had never done before in terms of capacity and scale) there's a chance it may ride absolutely fine - that they may get it right. In this case, we just absolutely wont know until the thing opens. I will say this, if it was Intamin opening this, I'd be thinking it'd be a much worse ride, so we can count our blessings ;)

Yes I agree Furie, this is why I hold out some hope it will be ok. The only type of coasters I don't like of theirs are Eurofighters.

I don't even think they will market this as a Eurofighter I think they will call it something different anyway.

Flunch is good only due to the fact the layout does not have really tight corners and tbh does not really do a lot lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.