What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: New "world's first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

^No, Thirteen is a fully controlled drop. The amount of airtime (or the rate at which it falls) is irrelevant, it's still a controlled drop. In the same way the drops on the ToT rides are controlled, they're pulled downwards. You could change the speed it drops. True 'freefall' as you put it isn't this. True freefall is like the Intamin drop towers where the carriage is completely disconnected and falls under gravity alone.

Hmm, yes but this is not controlled to be pulled faster than gravity right? Probabally why I didn't enjoy that drop, I love TOT's drop though, super airtime.

^I don't understand. The piece of track is connected to two massive hydraulic rams that control the movement. How is it not controlled?

^We need the non-mobile link. ;)

^Right, so essentially they just dump the fluid from the rams. I don't see why that's that different but... there you go.

At the start he explains that there is one cylinder in the center that dumps the fluid and therefore causes it to freefall, makes little difference in experience however gets the title as the 'worlds first freefall drop on a rollercoaster' which is my original point, they are pointless 'worlds first' titles that surround these rides.

New "world's first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

It is akin to the track collapsing, not being lowered. It is a true 'chair snatched from beneath you before you sit down' sensation.

This video, though I'm not sure how official it is, seems to hint at it being a badly designed Floorless dive machine.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hBInffmFhA&feature=related[/youtube]

^
Are you an Idiot?, it's clearly made on RCT3 and why would they get a Floorless Dive Machine when they already have a dive machine.
Since when has a Dive Machine had an Airtime Hill?

I never fully believed it was true anyway.

They could easily market it as the first Dive machine with a loop though. The GP won't notice the similarity with Oblivion anyway if it was floorless.

Jesus christ this place is going downmarket.

You see I thought you were being 100% sarcastic and having a laugh, until you said this:

Thekingin64 said:
I never fully believed it was true anyway.

Bad face-palm moment, my friend.

As for the subject in hand; I believe there's a pretty good chance of AT continuing down the world's first route in 2013 as biggest and bestest isn't really an option for them.

Jesus Christ, discussing football on a topic, and now this? Honestly do your homework before you post. Rct3 is not a design platform it is a game. End of discussion.'Didn't believe it was entirely true'?? How could anyone believe it was slightly true? I showed a friend who is completely non enthusiast and he laughed at how unbelievably dreadful that was. My god.

New "world's first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

The Crab Man has already said it will be another world's first.

Status
Not open for further replies.