What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Alton Towers | The Smiler | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1

Or painting your room because you missed a spot to make sure it doesn't turn into South Central LA. :lol:

BFuinWnCUAE2tfn.jpg:large

Thanks to JayJay90 (via his twitter)

Thats 3 pieces of track that have been put up today and the day isn't over yet...

They are also doing more work on the station and digging is happening at the top of the site.

What is a bodged job? Is it the same as a botched job?

Also: Is the park open 7 days a week? If it's weekends only, maybe they'll finish painting Oblivion on the weekdays?

I know that's what happened at Raging Bull when it's repaint ran long due to bad weather. Paint can't be properly applied if the humidity is too high or if it's too cold, and you wouldn't want this new paint flaking off in two weeks, would you?
Also, maybe they were using a ground based manlift and couldn't get any lower with the fence in the way, thus needing to paint the rest with either a crane or with ladders from the inside?

Any whispers of new aerial shots from TT coming in the next week or two?

Nemesis Inferno said:
Lots of people stating around that the Oblivion picture is old...

Apparently...

Yep, just thought I'd say that I'm pretty sure it's an old picture. I went on opening day and certainly didn't notice this (and neither did anyone else I was with), and have seen subsequent pictures that don't show it either. I also very vaguely remember seeing it a while ago whilst it was still being repainted.

rollermonkey said:
What is a bodged job? Is it the same as a botched job?

Also: Is the park open 7 days a week? If it's weekends only, maybe they'll finish painting Oblivion on the weekdays?

It is indeed the same thing and yes Alton is open 7 days a week.

I totally agree with Joey about what the half painting implies. Especially on top of the other experiences we all have of the company. Personally I just feel that if your not gonna do it properly, then why bother at all.

Someone else wrote about how broken elements can lead to degradation and so on and I totally agree on that point too. If a park is clean and tidy and well maintained throughout the patrons of the park will also treat it with some respect. If rubbish is allowed to build up and everything looks a mess the patrons are far more likely to drop litter.

Disney (in America) is a good example of this. They are so **** at keeping everything clean litter wise that people feel more obligated to put stuff in the bins rather than just leave it somewhere else. It is like keeping it immaculate breeds a subconscious social behaviour in others to also keep it tidy.

It is a shame that Merlin have so many projects this year that have failed to open on time. Again, it carries implications of what the operating standards of the company are. I would sooner see them set more realistic time frames to complete projects. At work I always over estimate the time I need for a project. I think about any possible problem and the sort of delay it would cause before I agree any kind of deadline. Sure, it means that 99% of the time I finish something way ahead of schedule but having that buffer means that I never fail to reach a particular goal because even with delays, I still reach my original deadline.

Credit where it is due, they never make too much of a specific date opening by I get a bit riled by the whole 'new for 2013' thing. Ok so it is new for the 2013 season, cool. Hypothetically, I'm going tomorrow which is indeed, in the 2013 season... Oh but it's not open... Till mid-possibly end of-May!!! That's 2 months late in a season that is only 7/8 months long in the first place. Don't say it's going to be 'new for 2013' when it's not going to be open for a chunk of it.

At least with the American parks they are a little more bound by the fact they are open all year round and so they tend to say something is opening spring/summer/fall of a given year. At least it gives the paying public a better idea of when something is going to open rather than an incredibly broad 'yeah... Anytime this year.'

Still, this does look rather cool but I'm not that excited about it, not like I was with Swarm. Perhaps I'm just a BnM fanboy but this seems like just another coaster rather than anything special for me.

Conversely, I've never understood why the UK parks open quite so early. First couple of weekends are not busy and the parks are dead week days. I think Easter weekend should be the earliest time as the weather sometimes improves.

Though an earlier opening does give them a little "soft training/experience" period before it gets busy. I doubt it would have made much difference to The Smiler anyway, even with an extra two weeks "full belt" - but The Swarm, Zufari, etc, etc could have had a little more time and at no real detriment in terms of attendance income.

It seems a little odd to me, but I guess that there are good reasons.

furie said:
Conversely, I've never understood why the UK parks open quite so early. First couple of weekends are not busy and the parks are dead week days. I think Easter weekend should be the earliest time as the weather sometimes improves.

Though an earlier opening does give them a little "soft training/experience" period before it gets busy. I doubt it would have made much difference to The Smiler anyway, even with an extra two weeks "full belt" - but The Swarm, Zufari, etc, etc could have had a little more time and at no real detriment in terms of attendance income.

It seems a little odd to me, but I guess that there are good reasons.

Indeed, and half the time the park isn't actually ready to open anyway. They blame it on the weather but half the attractions are still visibly in pieces....

From facebook. Sea serpent/roll over erection.

486131_10201054067457086_419471888_n.jpg

And a pretty one.

253734_10152659937910463_1953231995_n.jpg

Danzibarr said:
roll over erection.

I like hot dogs as much as the next man, but that's going a little far...

Danzibarr said:
From facebook. Sea serpent/roll over erection.

486131_10201054067457086_419471888_n.jpg

I'm assuming that cylindrical black thing on the bottom left is the base for the spider/marmaliser structure?

Anyway, looking great so far. Hopefully construction can pick up again now that the weather's behaving. Here's hoping for a May opening.

As far as I'm aware it's the central hub of the Marmaliser, the body of the 'Spider'. The black panels around it are LED screens, as shown in the mobile game.

Danzibarr said:
As far as I'm aware it's the central hub of the Marmaliser, the body of the 'Spider'. The black panels around it are LED screens, as shown in the mobile game.

Yep, as can be seen here... :)

BFf7uEvCcAAh2fJ.jpg

This ride really needs some RCT techno music to accompany the led screens on the marmaliser.

^ LOL!

That music that comes with the Twister rides would be fab <3

Smithy said:
This ride really needs some RCT techno music to accompany the led screens on the marmaliser.

Oh my god ahahaha <3

Status
Not open for further replies.