What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: New "world's first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

They may even be speculating lofty :p

Could this really have lapbars though? Like the photoshop advert for a vertical launch someone has already posted in this topic? Surely that couldn't happen in H&S mad Britain? :lol:

The image of the lapbars is of Wicked. That's the only reason there's lapbars in it. It was probably just a conveniently angled photo or easy to cut out or something.
tumblr_li9yyvGC7Q1qc36clo1_500.jpg

If it's a Zierra, which is possible - what with them making a big name for themselves at Busch and doing Legoland's drop coaster, I bet it would have lapbars. I don't think it will be Zierra, though. Looks a bit over complicated?

If it's MS it'll have lapbars

If it's Intamin, it'll probably have Intimidator restraints. <333333333333333333333333333333333

If it's Gerstlaurer we're all dead.

Thanks Joey.

What are the Intimidator restraints like? I'm lazy and you're being more helpful than google ^_^

Like normal Intamin ones, except the OTSR part is flexible soft foamy fabric.

Intimidator-305-5.jpg

...Photo makes it look more intrusive than it is.

That's actually pretty cool!

I googled after you said because that's funky and the pic didn't work. So they don't try to decapitate like the accelerator straps? Big problem for massive me :lol:

They look so spacious as well <3

I want an Intamin now!

New "world's first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

Just as long as there not like ispeeds as they were the worst.

I dunno how iSpeed's are, but regular Intamin "neck cutters" don't effect me much. I had no trouble with Kanonen. :p

I305's move. Like, if you get airtime, they just stretch with you. They are soft and they touch you instead of hovering, so they don't go anywhere near your neck regardless of your height, but they are also flexible enough not to pin or hold you tightly. Lapbars would be better, but these are the best Intamin have done to combat the throwing people out problem they have. :p

Please be Intamin even though I bet you're not, SW7. :C

It's not the restraints that kill you on Kanonen, it's sitting in an odd row and having the support column of the row in front rape you in the face every time the coaster does anything that isn't a straight line XD

furie said:
They may even be speculating lofty :p

Ugh. Damn correcting computers and me being lazy to check over the post </3

Because some guy in some interview said it's possibly going to be a world's first.

^Oh, now that would suck.

(It would clear up the whole throughput issue, though.)

Right, but I never thought they'd go the Moebius route. Especially if it means queueing twice to ride the whole thing.

How can it be though I cannot see 2 tracks next to each other or am I missing something?

Was Windjammer Surf Racers at Knotts Berry one or did you have to queue twice?

http://www.rcdb.com/294.htm

UC, I remember seeing the plans for something similar to your idea for the Nemesis area but it didn't happen due to the ride ops would have to work super quick to get everything on time. Is actually a good world first idea though.

What I heard was that it was going to be a 'proper' world's first that the general public could recognised. And apparently that was said by John Wardley at some point. I think it might have been during one of the events they did for Th13teen or when John met up with TTF members for one of their meets.

UC said:
What I'm saying is that if you were to look at the way the two halves of the ride interact, they essentially duel. The first drops, the first inversions, the dual-inversion "things" on the far end of the track, it's basically a single-tracked dueling coaster.

Except instead of picking a side and riding once (as is the case on other dueling coasters), here you get to experience both "sides" of the duel on a single ride-through.

Indeed. Believe it or not, I thought that was a given. Those sections where track passes track seemed to be a very pointed and intentional interaction. I thought that basically, once the first car passes onto the second section (after the vertical lift) it will be duelling the car that is essentially behind it and heading up the normal lift hill. The first half duels the second as you have said.

Ironically, the no limits simulation posted a couple of pages back actually shows that. The biggest issue they may have is ensuring the timing is right but like Dragon Challenge IoA used to have, there are systems that can be employed to maintain the 'duelling' element.

Plus there is the whole backstory that Alton wanted to do this with a Schwarzkopf coaster way back before Nemesis was concieved. The link is a few pages back. The idea was vetoed because they felt it would be a lot of pressure for the ride ops. However, in this day and age, computer systems can execute a lot of control here. Its definitely possible.

I think given what little we know. This 'Duelling' is very logical.

Status
Not open for further replies.