What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Alton Towers | SW7 | Unknown (Gestlauer?) World's 1st

Love that hosting page. It's VERY Sci-Fi, but modern Sci-Fi, not X-Sector Sci-Fi. Let's hope they're going to bring a little life into X-Sector with this.

A little while ago I thought of this as a ride themed to a government experiment where they tried to combine human DNA with computer components to make bionic people. Looks like I could be right, since there's DNA on the sign and that sounds like something Alton would do.

I bet the viral marketing this year's cool too.

I really do hope Alton bring back some life into X- Sector with SW7.
Every time I go to the park I all ways find I spend the least amount of time in this area of the park, so fingers crossed this ride will be amazing.

Got be DNA based.

Possibly creating a new sub-species of human that can survive Oblivion?

I dunno, but I do hope it's tied into Oblivion somehow. The fact they created Sub-Terra makes me think they want to build on their previous themes/stories.

Uncle Arly said:
Got be DNA based.

Possibly creating a new sub-species of human that can survive Oblivion?

I dunno, but I do hope it's tied into Oblivion somehow. The fact they created Sub-Terra makes me think they want to build on their previous themes/stories.

They could use the tried and tested method of 'while removing said ride we discovered something' similar to 13.

While removing the black hole tent, they found the numerous missing persons who took a trip into oblivion. All of which have mutated DNA.

I'd say it's more likely to be a separate theme. There was the giant spider thing, so maybe some kind of robot/cyborg invasion thing. They are putting you through a machine to turn you into a cyberman or something.

Or, it could just be that metallic, shiny double helices look very cool ;)

Won't most people who see that sign think the ride's called "SW7" and then wonder in a year's time where this SW7 ride is?

Robbie said:
Won't most people who see that sign think the ride's called "SW7" and then wonder in a year's time where this SW7 ride is?
That didn't happen with The Swarm when it was advertised as LC12 long before the actual name was revealed.

Im quite confuesed. In the promotional image they give the text futuristic font to it. However in the plan it shows a rundown, abandoned looking building/station. What are towers going for here?

Uncle Arly said:
They didn't for Nemesis, Oblivion, Air, or Thirteen did they?
Did they put up banners with SW3, SW4, SW5, or SW6 on them? Or did they just say stuff along the lines of "an exciting new attraction coming next year"? Those words (more or less) were always used alongside any LC12 mention at Thorpe, because the codes are nods to fans so they can dig deeper. Most of the public just want to know what it's called... and the SW7 on that banner looks like an actual logo.

I'm sure they did at some point, and Oblivion has a nod to SW4 on one of the queue line buildings.

Alton Towers | SW7 | Unknown (Gestlauer?) World's 1st

Robbie said:
Uncle Arly said:
They didn't for Nemesis, Oblivion, Air, or Thirteen did they?
Did they put up banners with SW3, SW4, SW5, or SW6 on them? Or did they just say stuff along the lines of "an exciting new attraction coming next year"? Those words (more or less) were always used alongside any LC12 mention at Thorpe, because the codes are nods to fans so they can dig deeper. Most of the public just want to know what it's called... and the SW7 on that banner looks like an actual logo.

I bet that no way on earth they'll call this SW7.

It's just a banner highlighting something new in 2013. Obviously the font will be used on other promo stuff, but the SW7 is just the 'project' name.

I do like the font though, especially the way they have the W. Either it's a nod towards X-Sector, or something else.

Infact, don't they start the filming of a new X-Men film next year!? Ties in the X and DNA strands. Another movie franchised coaster for a Merlin park?

^ We know it won't be called that, they've never used one of the Secret Weapon project names in reality.

Yeah, I'm not saying it's going to be called SW7 - just that the codename seems a lot more prominent than ever before. Which I find a bit weird.

It's just part of the hype. They're using the fact that the SW codename means "stunning and unexpected, world class, utterly frightening and unbelievably fantastic" because of Nemesis and Oblivion and they've pushed the "IP" into the public eye with Thirteen and are now capitalising on it.

It's just hype and advertising, it really is that simple. I think that Robbie may be onto something, kind of, with the X-Men idea.

Remember when The Swarm was thought to be tied into Gears of War 3? Using the same font and look? It's another subtle way of getting people to "click" with the ride and the push. People familiar with GoW would see that and go "what's that GoW thing? Oh, it's a new coaster at Thorpe, but it looks a bit GoW-like, maybe it is". Then they'll have the ride in their perception and will look out for it, just in case.

I think the idea is equally deliberate here. The font and colouring is very X-Men, and the double helix really does smell of the Marvel franchise, but it's not actually linked, but in your mind you're supposed to feel you recognise it. As the new X-Men film is pushed in the coming year, it also pushes the new ride too subconsciously. Familiarity with another brand helps raise awareness and interest in your brand.

Or at least that's how I see it. We certainly know that Ms Holland is an avid horror fan, and that probably extends into gaming and comic brand awareness too. Saw is obvious, but Thirteen was a mix of The Ring and Evil Dead, The Swarm is Pitch Black mixed with something a little more ambiguous (but the entire area and feel is very James Herbert, though maybe there's a degree of Lost in there too) yet generic - then pushed to look like GoW. Nemesis: Sub-Terra is almost 100% Alien/s. I'll bet if you look even slightly deeply at her work, you can see the influences oozing out at the seams. It's not copying by any means, but it's using familiar work mixed together with a "twist" to produce the look and feel and to make it "comfortable" for visitors. You don't need to do much to Thirteen to get people nervous if they've seen The Ring for instance, they're already on edge because their minds are "comfortable" with the discomforting imagery.

So this will certainly be sci-fi themed looking at the theming. Alien invasion like War of the Worlds, but most likely Falling Skies to keep it contemporary. Wrapped up in a look and feel similar to X-Men to piggy back on the comfortable IP miasma that creates.

Or...

Joey said:
furie said:
Or, it could just be that metallic, shiny double helices look very cool ;)
Depressingly the most likely.

I'm imagining it to be like a genetic engineering/cloning lab theme as others have said, which is cool, but at the same time it's a bit of a shame because Merlin do these monster/sinister type themes WAY too often.

I think everyone is looking into the double helix too deeply, I
doubt its to do with a themed story and more to do with the dueling aspect of the ride. And it looks cool and futuristic.

Originally, that project I mentioned earlier was themed to a government project where they were trying to turn people into half-living creatures, with computer brains and certain body parts being robotic that had gone horribly wrong. I had imagined actors soaked in blood with robotic-looking limbs crawling around the park and stuff, for instance, and the ride was called Project Fusion.

Now, I'm starting to think it's something slightly bizarre, so bear with me for this weird idea. What if it is a Eurofighter, but instead of having open air cars, they are enclosed and the front, top, and sides are a sort of movie screen. Perhaps they could pull off the illusion that you are going into somebody's DNA or something and trying to do something, similar to nanobots that scientists are experimenting with now. A combination of that and the whole "shrink somebody down and put them in someone's body" should be sort of cool.

Something else I was thinking is the possibility of theming it to a combination of human and alien DNA.

Again, just a few ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.