What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Alton Towers | SW7 | Unknown (Gestlauer?) World's 1st

^How can you be "not sure if anyone's posted this" when it's all that's been discussed for the last 4-5 pages?

Have I missed something? Where did the vortex rumour come from (in addition to the spinning track)?

That sounds really sickly, I hope it isn't true. It is the best bad rumour I've read about the possible indoor section though.

gavin said:
^How can you be "not sure if anyone's posted this" when it's all that's been discussed for the last 4-5 pages?

I haven't read any of this thread in months so I really didn't want to read every page. Especially with the fact I likely won't get to ride it anyways. I just noticed it on screamscape. Sue me :?

Just to ask if I've got it correctly:

The cars will enter a section of track kinda like the one on the late Round About at Freestyle Music Park:

1rouipiv9oi2nss3odg00p.jpg

Once in place, the entire section will spin like a hamster wheel, with the "heartline" being the axis of rotation. It would be a motion like sitting inside a washing machine.

Is that correct? Or have I misunderstood?

Who made that coaster ^^^ ... Gestlauer?

Youngster Joey said:
I haven't read any of this thread in months so I really didn't want to read every page.

You don't need to read every page, just the last few posts would have done it. I'm just clueless as to why anyone would randomly shove a day-old Screamscape link - which itself was couple of days late to the party - into a topic in which they can't be bothered to even look at the last page and have admitted they have no interest in.

Whatever.

Anyway, with regard to the rotating track thing, I had it in my head that the track would stay flat and just twist, rather than the car move around a circle of track. Not that it makes a blind bit of difference how I envision it since none of us even know that this actually is what's going to happen.

^Well it's not a day old where I am. It was just updated on Screamscape when I posted it. Either I said feel free to delete it if it was posted.

^^Also as I recall ethan it was premier

http://rcdb.com/3853.htm

Only that one did not invert it was like a big wheel lift hill that just lifted the cars to the track.

I was thinking last night, maybe the trick track rumour could be interpreted as evidence that its not Gerstlaur?

They haven't ever done trick track, to my knowledge? Mack, Intamin, Maurer, Zierer, Premier and Vekoma all have.

If that element is the entire concept behind the ride, and thus had been in mind since before they even worked on the rest of the attraction, surely they'd favour a company who was proven?

Just food for thought...

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

Can't see there being enough room to implement something like this within the ride?

loveagiga said:
The big B&M flyers do a 360degree roll. Is it really that different just because the riders are lying down?

Yes, it's a massive difference. Even now pilots don't perform outside loops for fun and giggles - it's a dangerous manoeuvre. At about 2.5G you will redout which can cause damage to your eyes and brain. Obviously manufacturers don't want to get anywhere near a dangerous situation which is why it's rare to see any low (as in negative) g-forces on rides. You get floater (zero g) and ejector (up to -1 (hangtime or a short burst of upwards), but I think it's rare that you ever get above that - it's just too painful.

Most loops pull what? 3G? You need to because the curve of the loop is so small. You enter very fast to overcome gravity to get you over the top of the loop and that just can't be avoided. You will always pull a high G (which is fine if you're on your back (essentially the same force as a launch), or sitting in a normal position (force through your spine).

Joey said:
If that element is the entire concept behind the ride, and thus had been in mind since before they even worked on the rest of the attraction, surely they'd favour a company who was proven?

Remind me again how successful Premier were with that ride... ;)

Could two manufacturers work together?
Yes, they're both businesses and rivals, but if both of them saw the chance to do something epic where they both had to work together to make it work (a piece of art), could that be possible?
As said, one suggested company is known for doing trick tracks but suck at comfort. Another is good at comfort but isn't know for doing trick tracks.

One sorts out the logistics of if any trick track and the other the layout and cars?

Coaster manufacturers use other people's products in their coasters all the time. So they could integrate in with another manufacturer if, say, Premier suddenly started selling the components for "twisting track".

They would buy those components in the say way they buy the sensors, PCBs, brake fins, etc, etc, etc from another supplier. I know it's been mentioned recently, but this is how Intamin and B&M worked for a short period of time, with Giovanola. They produced the actual coaster track for both companies, while Intamin and B&M essentially acted as analysts, consultants, designers and finally oversaw the ride assembly.

Giovanola took what they had learned and used for Intamin and B&M and set up on their own. I'm sure that if (I don't know if Giovanola are still about) B&M required track production in a hurry and couldn't do it at their own plants, they would still happily subcontract to Giovanola - it's just the way the industry works.

So yeah, there can be a degree of cross work between manufacturers on parts that one company may be able to do that another is lacking. However, it's rare and it would still just be "one component" of the whole and not a joint project.

Didn't something like that happen with with launch section on Hulk at IoA? I don't really know anything about it, but it always gets brought up in those "Will B&M ever make a launch coaster?" discussions that seem to happen every 5 minutes.

Pretty much. B&M wouldn't build the launch system themselves, but happily modified the design to take into account the launch system. However, B&M just said "the design will work if the launch is xxmph but beyond that, it's all your problem and if it breaks, it's nothing to do with us."

It's a more intrusive version of what usually happens. B&M may buy their control systems from Vadge Enterprises, but they will also support them as it's B&M who said that was the control system provider of choice. If there's a problem, B&M deal with it, or get Vadge Enterprises in to sort it.

In The Hulk's case, anything to do with the launch Universal have to deal with, and I'll bet that includes damage to trains/track due to inconsistent launch speeds.

I guess another example would be wooden coaster manufacturers, with different companies who not only retrack, but offer alternative trains for wooden coasters made by a different manufacturer.

However, for a park, a simple "one-stop-shop" is always going to preferable. Ride breaks? One number to call and they sort out why - rather than passing it between the people involved working out who is to blame.

Status
Not open for further replies.