What's new

Avatar 4D To Replace Terminator 2-3D?

Waffleman

Mega Poster
I'm sure most of you will have heard about this on Screamscape. But for those of you who haven't, or those who want to discuss it.

Screamscape said:
Over the last few weeks I’ve been hearing whispers of a possible attraction concept in the works to replace Terminator 2: 3-D at Universal Hollywood. Ironicly enough, today the LA Times also reported that T2:3-D in Hollywood is on the short list of attractions on the chopping block over the next few years. The Orlando version of the attraction has also been rumored to be up for replacement as well for the past few years.
If the rumors are true, Universal may be in talks with James Cameron once again about creating a new 4D attraction, this time based on the Avatar film series. Yes… I said series. There are now two more films in the works, tentatively planned to be shot back to back and released in 2014 and 2015. The hope is to release the new Avatar attraction into the parks in time to take advantage of all the hype these two films generate, so I’d look for it to open by Summer 2014 if they go through with it.

Of course, Korea are one step ahead. Having already shown the entire film in 4D!

There's a Terminator 2 in THREE DIMMENSIONAL format?!

I fail as a fanboy - someone bring it into my life! NOW!

I read about this earlier and I'm well gutted. Terminator 2: 3D is by far my favourite 3D show, it's so amazing and I bet Avatar wouldn't be as good.

I'm all for Universal getting rid of their old crappy rides, but this isn't crap, it's so good! In all fairness though, my last visit, which was peak time at Christmas, had the show running once every half hour and it was not busy. No doubt an Avatar film would be.

Take down Shrek and put it there! There's already too many of them (and soon to be more godammit!). Terminator 2:3D is more like a live action/ 3D show anyway, I bet Avatar would be dominantly 3D.

It better be open at Hollywood for Christmas 2012 when I visit, I reckon it should be. I'll ride Transformers then sit in this for the rest of the day!

I know it's only a rumour at this stage, but it sounds like a very wise decision for Universal to make and I wouldn't be suprised if it happened at all.

From a business point of view, of course it does.

Avatar, the film that has earnt more than any other film in existance (but I'm sure inflation rates over time helped) and a film that was supposed to be amazing visually (I can't talk, haven't seen it) having a designated theatre for it to enhance that experience to replace a show which is decreasing in popularity and is 14 years old.

In addition, this is at a park in a period where it's ridding of it's 'traditional' attractions to make way for much greater ones, and it's working tremendously well in my eyes.

I bloody love the show! I'm sure you'd think it amazing if you saw it, because it is. But look at Toyland Tours and Charlie, a worse attraction replacing a better one but it's much more popular nowadays. You just have to keep things fresh in this business.

Bezzzzzer are you for or against it then? Or a bit of both?

I'm completely against it, I understand the need to update but leave Terminator alone! It's the best 3D show I have ever seen. Remove Jimmy Neutron or something else.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Please don't take the greatest 3D theme park film EVER and replace it with something based on the most over-rated piece of crap ever </3

spicy said:
Bezzzzzer are you for or against it then? Or a bit of both?

Sentimentally, I'm against it entirely I love the show and I don't want it to depart at all.

However, I understand why the park would do it and I'd make the same decision if I was in charge.

I suppose you could say a bit of both, but it's 98% gutted 2% something new would be good in it's place because it's pretty old (and that 2% is being extremely generous).

I stand by my comment of taking down Shrek ha! Burn it and put this there!

I hope this does not happen, but the show does need some tlc last time a lot was not working.

It's still my number 1 4d film I love it.

Noooooo T2:3D is amaaaaaazing! 'Skynet are evil! Blah blah, do not go into the show room or you will dieeeee!!!!' Awesome show <3

I'll give you the first one.... but sequel of DESPAIR! I'd rather watch Jaws 2! And THAT'S saying something! Especially considering "infinitely screaming girl who will not die!" ;)

As much as I know how parks have to stay on top of their game, I'll be well gutted to see Terminator leave.

I love T2, and I know guests often ask me where it is so I guess it is popular.

And thinking about it, the Shrek theater would be a lot greater for an Avatar seat so they can make the seats move.

But Shrek is one of the only kid friendly attractions at the park.

I'd prefer Universal to go back in time and get Kongfrontation and Back to the Future back =[ Stupid technological innovation.

herbinator said:
Was terminator 2 3D the full film in 3D or a short version or something else?

It was an adaptation for want of a better term and included some effects in the actual cinema itself...

I remember it being good with amusing man in front moving about in reaction to the film... And the random pre-show woman being typically American...

nadroJ said:
I'd prefer Universal to go back in time and get Kongfrontation and Back to the Future back =[ Stupid technological innovation.

Kongfrontation was amazing, as was Earthquake (according to my 11-year-old self at least...)

Japan still has Back to the Future.

Anyway, I HATE all 3D/4D shows with a passion, but for one exception - T2:3D :cry: