What's new

Best and worst names

Since nothing in this thread specifies "roller coaster," I'd like a mention of Bling and Playstation: the Ride (now thankfully renamed to the slightly less horrible Tango Ice Blast) at Blackpool. Flamingoland have a good line in crap names too. Swingy/spinny ride? Flip-Flop. Coaster that does over-vertical drops and weird crap? Mumbo Jumbo!

Can't believe we haven't seen Cornball Express yet.

I can't believe nobody's mentioned Cheetah Hunt. The name itself sounds ridiculous but it sounds even worse when you compare it to the names of Busch's other coasters. "Oh what should we ride first? We have SheiKra, Gwazi, Kumba, Montu and Cheetah Hunt." I distinctly remember the backlash Busch got for the name from its fans (I hated it then myself) and even still, it hasn't grown on me.

It's a bit odd that they already had a coaster called Cheetah Chase, but they've now renamed that to Sand Serpent, presumably so the big coaster can have Cheetah Hunt.

^I agree that Cheetah Hunt is a horrible name compared to the other coasters at BGT. Its just a bad name compared to most roller coasters elsewhere too.

unlimitedcoaster said:
I believe the worst name for a ride is it's coaster type. For example. http://www.rcdb.com/1616.htm. The name is just the type of coaster. That's just lame. "Hey, wanna ride the Suspended Looping Coaster?". A lot of rides have really bad names.
It probably has a better name in chinese, and they just put that for the english guests.

Plus Cheetah Hunt i heard is really slow in a lot of areas. It has Cheetah in it. Cheetah's are fast

Agreed. Cheetah Hunt is a pretty lame name for a park that does so well with names.

I always thought Black Mamba was a pretty badass name.

China comes up with some awesomely bad names... I mean "Hand Roller Coaster" - What the hell is that?! "Harvest Time", "Colourfull 4 Ring Roller Coaster", "Greenland Underground Exploration", "Happy Racing Boat", "High Altitude Rolling Sliding Coaster", "Rotating Pulley", "Superspeed Cool-Cool Bear" etc.

Also, Jetcorster - Discovery at Lina World in Japan wins it for me, since there's an obvious typo in the name... :roll:

I can't express how much I hate the name stealth, for that ride it's almost as if they couldn't be bothered to look up the meaning in the dictionary....

Intimidator 305 is another one that kind of sucks. Is it really necessary to put the height after the name? I realize there is another Intimidator, but if they couldn't use that, at least come up with something a little better than just sticking the height on it...

[brand name]: The Ride. 'nuff said.

Also, names like [coaster type] (i.e. "Wild Mouse") or "Roller Coaster" need to go die.

I've always liked foreign coaster names, as long as it translates well. Kumba is a great example, meaning "Roar" in Swahili. "Roar" in itself is a cool name, but translate it, and it often sounds better. In English at least, I think native "Swahilians" would think it's hideous.
Don't fancy made-up names as much, though. Kingda Ka, for instance, means nothing. It's just the name of one of the tigers in the exhibit near the coaster.

Best: Millenium Force, Hydra, Kraken, Afterburn, Diamondback, Mindbender, Kumba, Montu, Griffon, Sheikra, Oblivion, Nemisis, and i for one like the name Intimidator
Worst: Superman (Uggh), Goliath, and i swear i've been on a coaster named "Roller Coaster" in China. Even a dead rat could be more creative....

Best: The Big One, Air, Oblivion, Dragon's Fury, Velocity, and Dragon Khan
Worst: Thirteen, Hero, Hurler, Rita, Dominator, Swarm and Viper (overused).

I think its kind of funny when u have like 1 or 2 coasters just called 'roller coaster', but when you have like over 30 coasters called 'roller coaster', thats just lame. You couldn't have come up with a better name? Come on! lame.

Best: Gatekeeper, Demon, California Screamin
Worst: Superman (hate when the same name in the same chain is used on different types of rides), The Smiler, Whizzer
dj-fireball999 said:
"Superspeed Cool-Cool Bear"
You have to give it to them for originality... especially considering the coaster didn't even break 40 mph. :lol:

I find names like viper and raptor really cool. It's just a shame that there are quite a few coaster with those ones. Phantom's revenge is also nice.
As to the worst ones, well, any one with "coaster" somewhere in the middle is rather weak.