What's new

Blackpool Pleasure Beach | Icon | Mack Multi-Launch

I'm going to a wedding in Staffordshire next year, I will have a Saturday or Sunday spare. Do I:

a) be lazy and head to Alton Towers for a day as it's so close by to where I'll be, or
b) add an extra two hours (each way) on top of an already long ass journey from the South and go to BPB for the day and hit up Icon?

A few weeks ago when I did The Big One, it was running so roughly the entire ride, it's put me off even bothering again to be honest. It offers me nothing but back pain.
I feel much the same, but moreso about Infusion and Big Dipper. I would happily never ride either of them again unless they get some serious improvements done to them. I know it'll never happen but I'd rather BPB spent £5million on retracking the woodies and new trains for Infusion than spend it on a new ride.

I feel much the same, but moreso about Infusion and Big Dipper. I would happily never ride either of them again unless they get some serious improvements done to them. I know it'll never happen but I'd rather BPB spent £5million on retracking the woodies and new trains for Infusion than spend it on a new ride.

Forget Infusion, but retracking the National would be fantastic. The Big Dipper and Roller Coaster are pretty much how they always have been, and I don't think there's an issue with them. They're acceptably rough. The National has got into a state though. It's supposed to give you a gentle bruising, but it's a borderline twatting these days.

Grand National is great if you love pain. There is a line of roughness which can be fun and acceptable on a wooden coaster. The Big Dipper is within that line, sure it trashes you around a bit, but it's not painful. The national used to be my favorite ride at PB, it's just pure pain now. Like the stooges song it's "no fun".

Sent from my G3221 using Tapatalk

I actually find Big Dipper to be worse of late, to the point that I avoid it, while 15 years or so back, I thought it was amazing. National hurts, but I'll put up with it once or twice as I'm usually visiting with people who really like it. As for The Big One though, I have to agree with Lofty, the whole thing just felt like shockwaves going all the way up my spine, not at all a pleasant experience. If something can be done to make these rideable again, without completely destroying their character, then I reluctantly agree that this should take priority over new rides.

As for Infusion, I've ridden an SLC with the new headbang free trains and it was still like a bag of nails. You can't polish a ****.

As for Infusion, I've ridden an SLC with the new headbang free trains and it was still like a bag of nails. You can't polish a :emoji_poop:.
So have I to be fair, and you're right, but it would help a little.

I agree with all your other points too, National is in essence a fun coaster so you can accept the roughness to a point. Big Dipper is just a boring ride, rough or not. I hadn't ridden it for probably 20 years until this past week and now I feel like it should be the prime candidate for an RMC Iron Horse treatment even though that would make some people incredibly angry.

As for Infusion, I've ridden an SLC with the new headbang free trains and it was still like a bag of nails. You can't polish a :emoji_poop:.
Oh god. I'm visiting for the first time in August, and Infusion will be my first ever SLC, so part of me is mentally preparing myself for what could very well be my least favourite coaster. However, I'm also holding out that it might not be as awful as everyone says SLCs are. From what I can gather, though, SLCs are rides that you ride for the credit and never ride again for the most part. In the eyes of many enthusiasts, anyway.

I've ridden Riddler at SFNE and with the new trains the ride is really fun now. It's a bit shuffly still but it doesn't hurt cause there's no headbanging and the ride has some good forces as well.

I've ridden Riddler at SFNE and with the new trains the ride is really fun now. It's a bit shuffly still but it doesn't hurt cause there's no headbanging and the ride has some good forces as well.
Shuffly? They should've called it the Fiddler or the Wriggler. :p

Did Icon again today around 10/11 times. It was riding very well by the end of the day and was constantly on 3 trains, stacking only occurred when ****ing idiot guests caused them.

Oh god. I'm visiting for the first time in August, and Infusion will be my first ever SLC, so part of me is mentally preparing myself for what could very well be my least favourite coaster. However, I'm also holding out that it might not be as awful as everyone says SLCs are. From what I can gather, though, SLCs are rides that you ride for the credit and never ride again for the most part. In the eyes of many enthusiasts, anyway.
It's really not awful, there's a bit of headbanging throughout, but it's still fun enough to re-ride, in my opinion.

Try to wait for the front seat, stick your head well forward to avoid the restraint...quite painless and quite an enjoyable ride.
Queue shifts quicker than most coasters if it is on 2.

Yeah I do that on infusion, but I still can't enjoy it because I feel on edge. I know as a complaint for a roller coaster that sounds like a juxtaposition, but it's true. I just can't enjoy it because I am worrying about headbanging. It's just not a nice ride.
Try to wait for the front seat, stick your head well forward to avoid the restraint...quite painless and quite an enjoyable ride.
Queue shifts quicker than most coasters if it is on 2.

Sent from my G3221 using Tapatalk

^Nah, Big Dipper is considerably worse in the back row, especially for the first drop. The first drop on Dipper feels like the whole of Furius Shako.