What's new

Cedar Point 2012 Coaster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

D1993

Hyper Poster
i wanted to start this thread because i wanted to know what people thought about cedar point getting a new roller coaster in 2012. While some beleive the park has an amazing line up (which it does) and that it doesnt really need a new roller coaster any time soon.

Well in my opinion i really think they do, especially a wooden one. Cedar Point should be known to have the best of everything, yet their wooden coaster collection is seriously lacking. I mean theyve got great water rides, thrill rides (my favourite 3 coasters are all at cedar point)
i really think they need an amazing wooden roller coaster!
i reckon they should give mean streak the rocky mountain coasters makeover and add another coaster extremely similar to twister at grona lund.

I know some people say that CP is already a great premier park (which of course it is!) and that to say it needs a new coaster is silly, but lets look at the gap between each of the coasters put in .....
since maverick in 2007, IF they put in a new coaster in 2012 that would be a gap of 5 years since a new roller coaster.

Maverick 2007
Top Thrill Dragster 2003
Wicked Twister 2002
Millennium Force 2000
Woodstock Express 1999
Mantis 1996
Raptor 1994
Mean Streak 1991
Magnum 1989
Iron Dragon 1987
Disaster Transport 1985
Wildcat/Jr Gemini 1979

so does anyone see my point? since 1985 cedar point has never waited longer than 4 years to put in a new roller coaster. especially now with magic mountain taking the coaster crown from them, i would say 2012 would definetly be the year to act for them. It will have been the longest gap since 1985 of putting in a new coaster, plus they obviously want the title back and i really think they could do with a new wooden roller coaster! all of these reasons really lead me to beleive that a new coaster should come in 2012!

what do you guys think?

Well.. time isn't a good gauge as to when they will add something. MANY factors go into it, including the fact that the economy has been in the toilet the last few years... and lets not forget that lack of space issue.. the list goes on and on tbh.

But I do think the time has come to unsuckle from the Maverick tit and throw in something sexy. We'll see.

I'm not sure that they care about the "title" any more to be honest. What they will care about is adding something new, which they are due for yes, to get people through the gate.

Having said that, Maverick is still the coaster with the longest lines...

Anyway, in order to humour the topic, yes a decent woodie is something they're severely lacking. Obviously Mean Streak was supposed to address the gap, but it's **** ing awful.

Demolish Mean Streak (preferably putting on a show by building a pyre and setting it alight) and replace it with a GCI...

Simple...

Since they just added in Windseeker, Im going to say it will be a few years before the plan to add something in. Yes, an amazing wooden coaster would suit the oark well, but I have a hard time seeing them getting one. A couple rides to demolish would be Mean Streak (of course), Disaster Transport and Gemini (its boring, you expect a thrill ride and instead you have the feeling of not making it over the next hill. Hell, it doesnt even have upstop wheels, just a little wax pad thing). I had heard some speculation on why Mean Streak is a horrible as it is (supposedly was actually meant for a larger foot print but CF decided to compress it into the space it is in today and said build it), so I do worry for any form of wooden coaster even thought of beong added into the park. Yet, to humor the topic, ill say something small like Twister or even Wooden Warrior would be perfect in Disaster Transport. A medium GCI or GG where Gemini is. Build something beastly where Mean Streak is and do it right, using either Millinium Flyer or Timberliners for that one.

To be real though, i see another Intamin (since MF, every coaster theyve put in has been Intamin as well as the newly and poorly thought out (imo) water ride).

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

500-foot tall dueling S&S compressed air launch coasters. That way, they can take back the height record, the speed record, AND the most coasters record in one fell swoop. Book it.

Intricks said:
Since they just added in Windseeker, Im going to say it will be a few years before the plan to add something in.

Disagree completely. Windseeker is a cheap (in park terms) filler attraction, not a "major" addition.

I know, but you gotta add in any form of repairs or shut downs that will cause expenses. Add in the fact that Cedar Fair put in 3 or 4 more, means they spent enough money to set back any form of coaster outside of a junior (i think) from being built at Cedar Point anytime soon.

Im guessing end of season 2012/off season into 2013 will be rumors with the ride opening in 2014 at earliest.

gavin said:
Intricks said:
Since they just added in Windseeker, Im going to say it will be a few years before the plan to add something in.

Disagree completely. Windseeker is a cheap (in park terms) filler attraction, not a "major" addition.

I think that more comes down to marketing value than actual cost. With that size and the impression Windseeker gives off, I'd say it could be marketed for a lot more revenue than "just another wooden coaster" (or any other coaster that doesn't set records or is a world's first). Now they can claim to have the biggest and scariest without plowing up half the peninsula and shell out many millions for it, and there might be a chance that this will be marketed/regarded as the New Big on the 'point, an addition on the scale of Maverick.

I might be wrong, though. I'd love to see another coaster there next year.

I haven't been to the park yet so I'm not entitled to an opinion of weather they need a new ride or of what type this new coaster should be.. But, by looking at the scenario a major park like this imo should be in for a new major investment by now to keep peoples interest up and to keep it's title as "the best theme park in the world".

And what coaster type then? They lack a good big looper, so a proper major B&M or perhaps a Mack would be fine. Cedar Point do lack a good woodie as well, so I can only agree to you others that suggestion they tear down Mean Streak and build something like eg a big GCI!

^Mantis and Raptor aren't good enough?

I'm still banking on a wooden coaster myself, especially with Renegade and Prowler at two other Cedar Fair parks.

^I've never been to the park, that's why I wrote that I don't have a legit opinion. But from what I've read Raptor and especially Mantis gets bashed a lot for being bad rides.

Ive heard of Mantis being bashed cause the bicycle seat is like a quick sex change for men if they dont lock their knees, but Raptor as well? That I find hard to believe...

Raptor gets very mixed reviews. I think like all B&M inverts, it's not a bad ride (going from what people say), it's just also not great for an Invert. So a bit "meh" really - but some people do love it, especially the first half (apparently).

The most enjoyable ride i had on raptor was during their frightnight. No trim so it literally screamed through the second half. It is quite possibly the best ride ive had on an Invert, but the first two times I did get the "meh" feeling for the second half. Get rid of the trim and everyone is happy :D

Oh lawd.

It is true, this has been a big coaster gap for America's Roller Coast, but Cedar Fair's situation has changed since the early days of the 2000s. With more parks to manage, Cedar Fair is not able to throw as much cash Cedar Point's way, having to build and develop the acquired Paramount Parks while keeping the original CF parks up to date as well. And with the looming financial threat of a recession, cash flow must be more closely monitored.

And also bear in mind, Cedar Point has seen back-to-back ride additions between WindSeeker and Shoot the Rapids.

In short, Cedar Point is not receiving a 2012 coaster.

That being said, all coaster geeks would love to see a good wooden coaster be the next CP coaster addition. I'd envision something along the lines of Boardwalk Bullet - compact and very thrilling. (Though Cedar Fair has also expressed interest in the past of only dealing with GCI)

Another fun scenario I tossed out while at the park on Tuesday was the removal of Wildcat (given it's reliability track record) and replacing with an Intamin Zacspin. Because of Wildcat's most recent accident, they are only running one track circuits right now, severely crippling capacity. So adding a zacspin would see the same capacity! :razz:

Cedar Point is crafty though. Placement of many of their rides has shown a genius use of property, able to squeeze attractions in between each other while still maintaining integrity. [/CP fanboy]

So we shall see indeed.

In 2012, Cedar Point is gonna get nothing.

However, for their next addition I will also say a wooden coaster. But yah like Matt said, they're not gonna get rides three years in a row, they just need to stop spending money on poop attractions and get something good :p .

^ They do have a policy, it's called "rain droplets really do hurt at 60 mph."

No, seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.