What's new

Cedar Point | "GateKeeper" | B&M Wingrider

It was just... meh.

It was kinda fun with all the crazy lights and stuff (inside the building), but it's certainly no bad thing they've taken it out so they can fit this in. ;)

It's a decent ride, but there's nothing special about it. I think it would actually be better if it wasn't enclosed, but that may just be my opinion.

billybobjoebob said:
It's a decent ride, but there's nothing special about it. I think it would actually be better if it wasn't enclosed, but that may just be my opinion.
Maybe. But looking at that picture above with it out in the open, it didn't exactly look like all that pretty a sight. Plus I don't think the ride is much, it was the effects and the darkness that sorta made it more fun.

But as you said, all down to opinion.

I love bobsleds, and since they're becoming a rarer and rarer sight in this country. I think now there's only 3 operating sleds in North America now? So I was kind of disappointed that DT was leaving, but when you look at Cedar Point's skyline it was kind of necessary that it needed to be refreshed sooner than later.

Avalanche Run was converted to Disaster Transport in a blatant effort to copy Disney's Space Mountain concept. While it started out fantastic with markedly better special effects and a cool story plot, sadly Cedar Point did not keep up maintenance with the ride's special effects slowly fade away one by one.

cp1990_5.jpg

I imagine Disaster Transport will be remembered as a fun family roller coaster, especially that it had air conditioning! It had the shortest height limit of any "grown-up" roller coaster at Cedar Point, and was a definitive ride that two generations of Cedar Point goers grew up with. That was a sentiment that was acknowledged at GateKeeper's announcement - while Disaster Transport is a treasured CP ride, those that rode it most have grown up and moved on. So it's time for the next big thing.

When i went on DT in june 2011 there was no air conditioning and it was hot as hell in there! and yet i still found myself enjoying the ride.

therein lies one of the strengths of DT: it's one of those rides that not tall or fast or really all that intensely thrilling, but it's still very enjoyable

Here are the latest construction pictures that I just got done taking down at Battery Park. They have begun vertical construction of the lift hill, which now stands just a bit over Raptor's 137 ft. tall lift hill. It is going to be great watching GateKeeper slowly creep into the CP skyline.

386388_10151125800248639_1616627701_n.jpg

1050_10151125808178639_269020216_n.jpg

59011_10151125807583639_576984735_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 638&type=1

Re: Cedar Point | "Gatekeeper" | B&M Wingrider

Cant wait to see the site up close and personal next weekend xD

I made another pass by Battery Park to grab some photos of the now topped GateKeeper. It is looking good!

20229_10151128457053639_2143551853_n.jpg

73245_10151128457208639_1693820972_n.jpg

381765_10151128456918639_525480367_n.jpg

Cedar point's latest icon, which blends perfectly into the the park's skyline.
Just think....it'll be even more magnificent upon the completion of the drop and immelman!

The more you think about it, the more you realize how Cedar Point has such flowing drops and first element's it's just astounding, aesthetically speaking. The dive drop and the Immelmann look breathtaking, IMO, in the animations next to Millennium Force, Raptor and Maverick's drops.