What's new

Cedar Point | "GateKeeper" | B&M Wingrider

Re: Cedar Point | "Gatekeeper" | B&M Wingrider

It looks about the same size as Raptors and Mantis, which seeing as how they can be a people eater when necessary, the lines looks right.

Sorry for the photo's not loading - it would appear that PLACE Workshop has since removed the images from their Facebook page. Joey's photos are much nicer! :)

GateKeeper will absolutely be a rider gobbler, with a riders per hour capacity of 1,710. Granted, the line will be absolutely out of the queue within the first couple of years, but will die down as the years progress. Cedar Point recognizes that GateKeeper will not always need maximum capacity, and built a queue to suit; especially compared to the uselessly monster queues of Mantis, Raptor, and MF. I will say however - that queue is going to be cold come September, catching the Lake Erie breeze!

I also like the revamped plaza. This corner of the park has been crammed since 2000; receiving the relocated Giant Wheel for MF's construction, and receiving Chaos (replaced Schwabinchen) and Troika in 2003 for TTD's construction. While the ride locations were ok, the area could still feel cramped - hopefully this will make things feel a bit more natural (the one question though will be how maXair sits in the middle of everything).

And think of all the new vantage points for Wicked Twister! :razz:

TheCoasterCruiser said:
How is Cedar Point on operations?
Snoo said:
Fantastic actually.
Hmmmmmmmmmm that's not the full story is it, Snoo?

They're fast - the dispatching of trains is the best I've seen.

I've only been once, granted, but it was a Monday before kids broke up for summer and it didn't seem that busy, but queues were LONG.

So, I don't know wtf is going on?

Also, the rain policy is an absolute joke.

^ Long queues can simply be the result of ride capacity. It doesn't matter how quickly you load MF - it is essentially a one train operation.

Not all rides are equally popular as well - MF, Raptor, TTD, and Maverick see a lions share of park visitors as they are the "must ride" coasters. The addition of the Fast Lane pass has also be very quirky, upping wait time for general public.

And yeah, then there is the rain.

In general I'd expect at least a solid 2 hour wait time for GateKeeper, if not 3. It will be located right at the front of the park, easily accessible by the GP right from the park's opening. The best hope - pray that Platinum Pass ERT land for GateKeeper!

rollermonkey said:
Yeah the throughput on the CP Beemers is great. For the Intamins? Great when they work.

Pretty much this.

As long as the rides don't have any issues they usually keep capacity as close to max as possible. Longest line I had in 2010 (on one of their most packed days of the season) was about 3 hours, counting Millennium Force's one hour breakdown and a guy passing out from heat stroke. I would note that I was up on the ramp to the station when both happened so it was really going to be around a 2 hour wait tops.

TheCoasterCruiser said:

Considering how massively crowded the park is, as good as you can realistically expect. 5 times there, I've never had any issue.
In May and September when it's far less crowded only the major coasters have long lines, and they really do move very quickly...just they are that long :lol:

I remember hearing/reading somewhere that Matt Ouimet wanted to make sure that even on non-busy days/months, that there would never be one train operation at any CF park. I know he held that true last year at CP at least, because every time I was there I never witnessed one train operation at all and the lines were always moving quite fast.

First train is being loaded on the storage track!

GateKeeperBeachCam_1024.jpg

Joey said:
TheCoasterCruiser said:
Snoo said:
Fantastic actually.
Hmmmmmmmmmm that's not the full story is it, Snoo?

They're fast - the dispatching of trains is the best I've seen.

I've only been once, granted, but it was a Monday before kids broke up for summer and it didn't seem that busy, but queues were LONG.

So, I don't know wtf is going on?

Also, the rain policy is an absolute joke.

They tend to run the minimum amount of trains possible until it's warranted and the rain policy definitely is kinda crazy, but to be fair, they have had rain related incidents in the past.. and safety safety safety!

I've been going to CP upwards of 2 decades and things have never really changed. Beemers run great, no matter the line and the Intamin run fine until they break. And when I compare it to most of the other parks I've been to, I have really have nothing to complain about.

OMG!!! The test dummies have lost their arms, legs AND heads!!! Quick, call the national press!!!!!!!!!!!

Martyn B said:
thumb_screenshot_2013-03-24-14-51-12-1.png

Whilst I do like the colour, I cant imagine it looking good on the track.
I can't imagine it looking good period.

Seriously, those look horrid. I much prefer X-Flight's badass angel wings.

The tongue ruins it, in my opinion. Had they kept the mouth closed and curved the beak more...Hell, they could have slanted the eyebrows more. That way it would actually look fierce instead of stoned.