What's new

Corkscrew's Removal (Alton Towers)

jack.bell said:
i sure wil be sad to see this old fellow go as much as it did hurt.

does anybody know if any of it is going to go up for sale/auction because not being funny the money they could meke from selling the diffrent parts to enthusiasts could be large and then they could use the money to invest in the 2010 suprise?

Given it's age, and condition, you wouldn't get much for it.
And selling to enthusiasts would earn Alton even less.

They probably wouldn't make a huge amount to go towards the new development but it would still be a great idea for people to collect a bit of history.

I wouldn't mind one of those Vekoma wheels, I've seen other parks give them away before.

I've got one word for this circumstance, and it's a long one!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I think its a great idea for the removal. Just think what may replace it? The rumoured family woodie :p

I doubt it'll be nothing on the lines of Megafobia but still better ridden than good ol' rough corkscrew. It will be sad but proves possibilities for AT

I'm happy they will replace it with something else but I'm sad that it's going and I really want an ORP of it before it gets demolished. :( Shall try and persuade my dad to take me in October or November.

coasterchris93 said:
I think its a great idea for the removal. Just think what may replace it? The rumoured family woodie :p

I doubt it'll be nothing on the lines of Megafobia but still better ridden than good ol' rough corkscrew. It will be sad but proves possibilities for AT

Well if you put it that way :p

I am sad about this.

This was a formative coaster for me - probably the first coaster I ever went on back in its opening season (I dont recall being weaned on kiddie-rides, straight into the big stuff for me).

She will be missed....

(but if they stick something nice in its place, that will soften the blow. Intamin wood please.)

This was my first ever inversion on a coaster and it will be sad to see it go. I have only been to Alton 3 times but I always ride it and think it suit its area so well.

Bye bye corkscrew !

This has made my day :) I've always hated Corkpoo, I'm sure many will miss it, me not being one of them. I have at least one trip to Alton left, so shall ride it then, and I might see if I can go on the 9th of November, but it still is a rubbish ride with no sort of value to me.

What are the odds of them replacing CS with a woodie then? The reason i ask this is that we all know that AT has height and noise restrictions in place, so how viable a propostion is this? I suppose they could dig deep down, so that i could still be quite high, but what about the rumble that a woodie creates as its flying around the track?

I really hope that they do install any type of woodie at AT, as thats whats been missing at AT ever since it opened. I just cant see it though, unless they can get around the restrictions by a clever design.

On one hand I will miss the Corkscrew as i was one of the first coasters i ever rode. But on the other, it was only a meh coaster and it was rough as hell, and got titled a 'death coaster' many times so it definately time to replace it with a modern ride.

I'm split to be honest on what will replace it. Alton have worked long and hard to try and get a Woody. John Wardley has said he'll only work for Alton again to make a Woody (and John is 100% working for Alton on this one).

However, John has been involved with Project Dylan. He's also been working at Oakwood (not on Speed, but the magic show they have there) and spent time there around the time Speed was installed.

I'm wondering if maybe John has a soft-spot for Eurofighters. I think that they're cheap, exciting, reliable and flexible. So I also think that there's a good chance that the replacement may well be a Eurofighter. I'd say at the moment, it's and even bet.

Problem is what will a Euroflighter add to Alton? But I do have a nasty feeling they bought 2 at a special rate.

They already have a virtial drop coaster. They already have coasters that invert, that launch. This is why I dont see what they would get from having a Euro Fighter.

Which is why I think they will go for a woody if they are allowed one.

I can't honestly see a eurofighter unless it will be highly themed. This is Altons 30th anniversary surely they would want a new type of coaster?

B&M are supposed to be showing off a new concept at or before the IAAP in the next few months. Maybe we may see this new concept.

Just a speculation i guess lol!

Thing is in that area of the park I don't think that Alton have to apply for planning permission, if I remember rightly, that is why Rita was able to be squeezed in at such short notice. So a small scale woodie could be a huge possibility.

My personal dream would be a huge dueling racing woodie up and down the valley the retheme UgLand to raceland like those plans we saw a few months ago, that would be awesome!

I am probably being totally selfish but I dont want to see a small scale woodie, just dont see the point.

They need a new thrill ride for adults and teens and that type of family age.

Ugland next year will only have Rita, so retheme Cred Street for kids and give the adults Ugland (re theme it though). Its simple :)

I wonder when they will remove the Corkscrew from their mini golf thing.

I would love a woodie like Ravine Flyer 2. That was a great ride. Alton haven't had a thrill ride for a long time now. It would be 4 years at the start of next season!

Whatever it is, it needs to be another icon to replace this one!!

UncleArly said:
jack.bell said:
i sure wil be sad to see this old fellow go as much as it did hurt.

does anybody know if any of it is going to go up for sale/auction because not being funny the money they could meke from selling the diffrent parts to enthusiasts could be large and then they could use the money to invest in the 2010 suprise?

Given it's age, and condition, you wouldn't get much for it.
And selling to enthusiasts would earn Alton even less.

Alton Towers are not selling it.

I've asked what's happening to it and so far all I can tell you is:
"Unfortunately the Corkscrew will not be sold. Alton Towers has decided that as it is such an iconic ride, they won’t be selling it on and are currently discussing what will happen to the track and carriages once the ride is removed."

I've been ill today and I've watched TV all day including various news programs.

Upon watching BBC Midlands Today tonight, they done a 2 minute feature on it which can be seen below. They then interviewed two people from RCCGB who are there for the loop-a-thon about it which isn't included on the youtube link.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO90lmr29u8[/youtube]

There has also been a article on it in the Birmingham Mail.

Corkscrew2.jpg

All of this media coverage has actually made me quite sad to know that within a months time it'll be gone. :(