What's new

Coronavirus: Impact on Theme Parks

Some updates with regards to what's happening in The Netherlands according to sources:

Schools will open on May 11th, albeit with probable restrictions, still to be determined. Half class sizes possibly.
Bars and restaurants will not open before May 19th but could be later, still to be determined.
Large events will not go ahead till 1st of September earliest.

I'm hoping theme parks will not have to wait THAT long to open, Walibi Holland and Toverland would probably run into financial difficulty. But it does seem in line with what is happening in Germany, not allowing funfairs till the end of August.
Personally I think the cancellation of Oktoberfest in Munich at this point is jumping the gun a bit, but it is what it is.

No word on Zoos (yet) but surely they wouldn't have to wait till September either as people are usually quite spread out most of the time. Hopefully in June in The Netherlands latest but could be before theme parks. It would make sense I think.
If Britain is anything to go by, then theme parks closed alongside bars & restaurants as opposed to when the government banned mass gatherings.

In other news, Universal, Disney and SeaWorld are said to have "joined forces" to plan a reopening strategy for their Florida theme parks: https://www.themeparktourist.com/ne...ey-join-forces-plan-reopening-strategy?page=2

In other news, Universal, Disney and SeaWorld are said to have "joined forces" to plan a reopening strategy for their Florida theme parks: https://www.themeparktourist.com/ne...ey-join-forces-plan-reopening-strategy?page=2
Good to see them working together when necessary, even if there is no official body for them to do so.
If only politicians would learn from that type of approach.

I know that article states that the Florida governor and county mayor helped put this together but stil...

Even when the UK parks return, I think they will have social distancing measures in place for next year and the year after too
We'll probably have a vaccine by next year, so I'd say that social distancing probably won't be necessary after 2021. Some minor changes, like hand sanitisation stations and temperature checks, could stay in place permanently, but I think that the 2m apart rule likely won't be necessary once a vaccine exists and is in mass production, which some reckon could be by the end of 2020.

The good position theme parks have in comparison to festivals and funfairs is aside from hiring and training staff, they are pretty much ready to operate, as closed season maintenance was pretty much completed before the enforced shut downs.

Therefore, whilst festivals and funfairs require months of preparations and weeks of building and setting up, when respective governments tell the parks that they can open, they can open within 1-2 weeks of doing so. Major funfair and festival events have to be cancelled way in advance otherwise so much time and money is wasted going ahead with planning, preparation and set up for a last minute U turn.

We know parks like Blackpool, Paultons, europa, Phantasialand, Efteling etc. are all ready to go and will be able to open up their doors within 1-2 weeks of being told they can by the governments/local councils. That's the advantageous stance they have in all of this.

The consequences of what the government has decided in The Netherlands is becoming a bit clearer with the scrapping of all major events over the summer including the large yearly funfair in Tilburg and all football matches. Several people are discussing on Loopings.nl in the comments that since cinemas are going to be closed (confirmed by the Dutch prime minister) theme parks most likely will be closed as well.

This will be devastating for the industry if true.

I think this is an overreaction if this is not going to be revisited over the next few months. As pointed out, parks can organise relatively quickly to open and if the virus can no longer spread to vulnerable people this type of decision is not necessary at all at this stage.

I'm sure Theme Parks in the Netherlands (which has its own group organisation) will fight this.

Last edited:

I think this is an overreaction if this is not going to be revisited over the next few months. As pointed out, parks can organise relatively quickly to open and if the virus can no longer spread to vulnerable people this type of decision is not necessary at all at this stage.
I get where you're coming from here but I don't think you'd be saying that if you had a loved one affected by this, or seen the horrors that others in the front line see! Again, I know this is a theme park forum, and we love to discuss said theme parks, but attractions like these should be among the last thing to open.

The consequences of what the government has decided in The Netherlands is becoming a bit clearer with the scrapping of all major events over the summer including the large yearly funfair in Tilburg and all football matches. Several people are discussing on Loopings.nl in the comments that since cinemas are going to be closed (confirmed by the Dutch prime minister) theme parks most likely will be closed as well.

I'm sure Theme Parks in the Netherlands (which has its own group organisation) will fight this.
I honestly think their decisions are perfectly reasonable. No cinemas, theme parks etc. over this summer should be expected as even with social distancing measures in place these are high risk places!

Anyone would be lucky to get on a rollercoaster this summer. The government are doing it to protect their vulnerable citizens. Even if the vulnerable aren’t the ones going to the places of leisure, people can still pass it to them.

As I’ve said before, theme parks and also cinemas are in a great position where they can open up at short notice. Therefore if the government have placed a ban on theme parks and cinemas until say September, this can be brought forward at short notice if the situation allows to do so.

It is better to lower people’s expectations and give people the most negative outlook rather than let them hope for the best scenario.

I think their government has made a good decision to keep their citizens safe, and I hope we do the same. I would rather less people die than be able to go to a theme park this summer.

I would be perfectly happy not having a theme park season until 2021 if it saves lives.

I get where you're coming from here but I don't think you'd be saying that if you had a loved one affected by this, or seen the horrors that others in the front line see! Again, I know this is a theme park forum, and we love to discuss said theme parks, but attractions like these should be among the last thing to open.

I know relatives who have been infected, one of them seriously, two of them mildly and I also know of someone else hospitalised, and another two who died from this virus.

It is to be taken seriously, and too many people are taking it lightheartedly.

Different people react differently to this virus, potentially 50% of people infected don’t know they’ve had it, then there’s others who will react badly no matter if you have a good immune system and could be hospitalised or die. As we’ve seen people of all ages and all levels of health can die from this.

At this stage even considering reopening leisure activities is pretty inconsiderate in my opinion. You have to think about the economy to some extent, and when these places do open I’m sure we will put stringent measures in place to decrease transmission as much as possible, but I think that it is too soon at this point.

Some positive news, oxford university are starting to trial the vaccine within days. Let’s hope it’s successful as then we could potentially? Have a widespread vaccine by the end of the year!

In The Netherlands they are calling this "intelligent lockdown". I don't think this is intelligent at all. As the consequences of what is being suggested isn't clear either. Will people consider suicide rates, domestic abuse and perhaps crime several months from now?

There are no guarantees that 2021 will magically bring a vaccine or a smaller wave of Covid 19.

Definitely worth the watch to challenge opinions:

Of course I agree with governments keeping citizens safe but they have not necessarily proven that that has worked well with ANY execution so far. Ie experts are not at all sure how much influence social distancing or lockdown has had.

Care homes in the UK are only NOW getting some support from the government. THUS last on the list.
People there were the most vulnerable from the start.

but attractions like these should be among the last thing to open.
There are several much more dangerous activities... Pubs (sadly for me,) Restaurants, Cinemas, Gyms, Concerts and many more things carry far more risk and should be the last to open.

Any activity that involves being ‘indoors’ for extended periods of time exposed to large numbers of the same people.

Last edited:
There are several much more dangerous activities... Pubs (sadly for me,) Restaurants, Cinemas, Gyms, Concerts and many more things carry far more risk and should be the last to open.

Any activity that involves being ‘indoors’ for extended periods of time exposed large numbers of the same people.
And I'm sure fitness fanatics will say that theme parks are more dangerous than gyms. I'm sure pub owners will say theme parks are more dangerous than pubs. I'm sure restaurant chains will say theme parks, pubs and gyms are more dangerous than restaurants etc. I could go on.

Opening theme parks anything soon is a bad idea, Period. It doesn't matter which activity you think is the worse.

(inb4 you accuse me of fEaR mOnGeRiNg again...)

Of course I agree with governments keeping citizens safe but they have not necessarily proven that that has worked well with ANY execution so far. Ie experts are not at all sure how much influence social distancing or lockdown has had.

If you look at the app developed by KCL, covid 19 symptom tracker, lockdown and social distancing is having a MASSIVE effect on reduction of transmission.

Please feel free to take a look.

On the 1st of april we experienced the peak of the first wave, a total of over 2 million estimated active cases at that one time.

Today is the 21 April. We now only have an estimated less than 500,000 people with symptomatic covid between age 20-69. This shows the lockdown measures have reduced the number of active cases by 1/4. The deaths are yet to reduce as there is a 2-3 week lag between active cases and deaths.

This data is taken based on 2.5 million people daily reporting their symptoms and whether they have had a covid test etc and then scaled up to the entire population.

It evidences social distancing and lockdown does work!

Any activity that involves being ‘indoors’ for extended periods of time exposed large numbers of the same people.

Yes, I agree. Concerts, restaurants and cinemas are higher risk than theme parks. Anywhere indoors is higher risk than an outdoor space. However then you reach issues within the parks such as can you open indoor attractions, indoor queuelines etc. For some parks, e.g. Efteling, half the park would have to be shut if indoor attractions, shows etc aren’t allowed to operate. And then what’s the point of opening altogether?

Last edited:
And I'm sure fitness fanatics will say that theme parks are more dangerous than gyms. I'm sure pub owners will say theme parks are more dangerous than pubs. I'm sure restaurant chains will say theme parks, pubs and gyms are more dangerous than restaurants etc. I could go on.

Opening theme parks anything soon is a bad idea, Period. It doesn't matter which activity you think is the worse.

(inb4 you accuse me of fEaR mOnGeRiNg again...)
Ethan I own a pub company and have 2 different gym memberships... Anytime and Puregym ??

This isn’t about politics, loyalty or personal wishes, it’s science... Indoors is more dangerous than outdoors... More densely populated spaces worse than wide open spaces and length of exposure to an infected person increases the risk... It’s really all very obvious stuff.

Edited to add: Sorry for calling you a fear monger... I meant no personal offence, I’m just getting really fed up with people suggesting we should shut down everything for a year or more when there is more evidence to suggest this is a bad and unnecessary idea than a good one.

Last edited:
Ethan I own a pub company and have 2 different gym memberships... Anytime and Puregym ??

This isn’t about politics, loyalty or personal wishes, it’s science... Indoors is more dangerous than outdoors... More densely populated spaces worse than wide open spaces and length of exposure to an infected person increases the risk... It’s really all very obvious stuff.
Wow I bet that business is going great for you. Good luck!
But why open something that's totally unessential if it's going to cause more risk, when you could just wait? It's really all very obvious stuff. I know indoor attractions are worse, but if there's still a large risk, why take it? I stand with those who are against mass gatherings, which theme parks are, until far later this year. It's really very obvious stuff tbh.

Besides, I imagine the public are going far crazier over the pubs being shut than a few lacklustre theme parks.

I was reading on Phantafriends that apparently the shops have been jam packed today in Germany and people haven't been keeping their distance. The German government are constantly reviewing case numbers with high vol tests so if this initial relaxing proves to escalate the situation too much, they will go back into a stricter lockdown again. In which case, there's no chance of the theme parks being open this summer.

Pützchen's Markt in Bonn in september has just been cancelled as well.

We could really see a game of ping pong in a sense with countries lifting restrictions only to lock them down again with spike in case numbers. Lifting restrictions has to be done super carefully and doesn't mean we can all just plunge back into every day life.

Wow I bet that business is going great for you. Good luck!
But why open something that's totally unessential if it's going to cause more risk, when you could just wait? It's really all very obvious stuff. I know indoor attractions are worse, but if there's still a large risk, why take it? I stand with those who are against mass gatherings, which theme parks are, until far later this year. It's really very obvious stuff tbh.

Besides, I imagine the public are going far crazier over the pubs being shut than a few lacklustre theme parks.
What is essential about cinemas, pubs, restaurants, most none food stores and so on? By that standard you are saying it would be best to keep everything closed???

As for your opening swipe... Meh, it’s never the most profitable business anyway ? We’ve had enough support from the government to see us through their predicted “12 weeks” so fingers crossed you don’t get your wish and it turns out to be much longer... ;)

To me the decisions have mostly been reactionary and there simply isn't the financial support to keep lockdown going forever or a guarantee there will be less Covid in the future. There is already massive resistance in the USA and I can understand why.

I'm not saying stop all lockdown tomorrow but I think it would be wise to implement the sort of stop light system we saw posted, perhaps over a longer period and see if it works rather than blanket suggesting no fun at all this summer.

A quote from Jurassic Park just seems quite apt to me listening to a lot of politicians....

John Hammond:
When we have control—

Ellie Sattler:
You never had control! That's the illusion!

What is essential about cinemas, pubs, restaurants, most none food stores and so on? By that standard you are saying it would be best to keep everything closed???

As for your opening swipe... Meh, it’s never the most profitable business anyway ? We’ve had enough support from the government to see us through their predicted “12 weeks” so fingers crossed you don’t get your wish and it turns out to be much longer... ;)
I don't like lockdown. I don't think anyone does, with the exception of the people at Netflix. But I'm more than happy to endure it for as long as it takes if it means less families are devastated. My family has already had members affected by all this, and quite frankly, it's ****. Really ****.

I literally love pubs and theme parks but to me it seems selfish to whine about the parks being closed when most of us on this site don't have any financial stake in them, we just enjoy them in our free time. So yeah, you can continue being childish, but I don't really care what you (a stranger online) thinks. Theme Parks should not open anytime soon, not unless a miracle happens. The lockdown is obviously working, looking at the numbers. I'm not in the majority as I have a secure, full-time job as a "key worker", meaning I still leave the house every day etc, so perhaps I'm not an expert on what true lockdown is like. But no matter how much people miss their Wetherspoons visits (me included) and theme park holidays, they can both wait.

Republic of Ireland have announced ban on gatherings of more than 5000 till 1st of September too.

This 1st of September thing is probably going to be common I guess.

Will be interesting to know what the daily visitor numbers of Tayto Park are but it's probably around that figure.