What's new

Diamondback - B&M Hyper for Kings Island

^4th
Kawasemi
Piraten (It has air. Lots of it.)
Chengdu 2008
Sheshan 2009

But no matter how great the Lite version is, I miss the full-sized, spread-out, airtime-packed Intamin Megas.

[nooby dream]As for Diamondback, I really hope it will boost the park's attendance so much that they can afford a new coaster in no time, and so much that Cedar Point and all the other Ohio/Midlands/East coast/US parks will have to build more coasters to compete. [/nooby dream]

And anyone knowing how steep this thing will be?

^I'm willing to bet the same angle as Behemoth.. as they are similar in age and design (to a point, of course).

^ First drop will be 74 degrees.

Kings Island will now have 14 roller coasters, creating a tie with Kings Dominion for 3rd place in most coasters at one park.

Diamondback will undoubtedly boost Kings Island's attendance.

As for being the envy of America, there is still a lot of ground to cover.

Though Kings Island is the second largest amusement park in the Midwest next to Cedar Point, it will take a lot to dethrone such parks as CP, SFGAdv, etc.

Not to mention Cedar Fair owns KI and is not looking to dethrone it's flagship park any time soon. :razz:

^ This is true, KI has a great collection of coasters, but the atmosphere is still lacking.

Diamondback will be a great moral booster simply because of its location, smack dab in the middle of the park, easy for everyone to see and get to.

MF was a dynamic changing coaster for CP, and I feel Diamondback will have the same effect with KI.

^ Definitely not, but for Kings Island I would say this is a coaster that will really dominate the park.

That's one of the main things I noticed when I compared CW to KI was the lack of atmosphere at KI. Canada's Wonderland had quite a bit more.

Kings Island has mounted the first piece of track as seen on the webcam.

Picture1-10.png

As much as Diamondback will be a good addition to Kings Island, it will not make it a world famous park, or like UC said, gain the amount of popularity than Millennium Force had. It will be the most popular in the park I'm sure, except for maybe Italian Job which for some reason gets humongous queues at least over at Wonderland, so it will get long lines, just not as popular worldwide as Millennium.

Yay for track being.. Erected :lol:

Taylor...no...go with your stuffed animals!

It seems like this construction is going really slow. I know they just started, but still. Usually it's like once a ride goes vertical, the ride goes up quickly. I was expecting that turn into the station to be done by now.

You have a point. It still seems like they started early, maybe because they plan on working slower...Who knows...

Track construction has been on a steady roll in the station area, the brake run turn and a portion of the station track now erect.

Picture1-12.png

As UC mentioned, you need to use the pedestrian walkways in order to move the equipment and track. The track you now see erect has been slowly trickling to the construction area during the parks' closed hours at night.

Also, again as Steve pointed out, all that is going on in the back portion is continuous site prep and laying of footers.

Picture2-4.png

I'm excited by what I've seen of the CG pics and videos of the ride, but find it interesting that KI is just now getting its first B & M coaster. I can sort of see why they'd hesitate to put in a B & M inverted or stand-up - not wanting to look like a copycat with another park just a few hours away that has both - and maybe they didn't want to put something in that many other parks already have. Even with a B & M hyper, they'll have a new style of train that none of the others have. Of course, KI has traditionally been more of a woodie park, at least whenever they're out to set a record, and with different management companies over the years, they've probably had different ideas as to the best way to spend $15-20 million, or maybe a little more in this case.

At the risk of starting another useless debate, does anybody have a set way of defining an out & back as opposed to a twister - number of times it has to cross over & under itself to be a twister, anything like that? You take SFOG's Goliath and SFGAM's Raging Bull, and there's no question as to which kinds they are, but I think DB could be argued either way, at least on the return part of the ride. Maybe it could even be a sort of "roundabout & back!"

To sum this up, the ride looks, and s going to be ****ing ace! :--D

Well, I would have hesitated to spend $20 mil to bump the tallest drop in the park from 214 ft. to 215 ft. :wink:

Seriously though, they should have gotten a B&M years ago.