What's new
FORUMS - COASTERFORCE

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does Your Favorite Coaster Suck? Wood coaster poll!

But wood is still on the inner structure of the track. I get the why, but I've always found the question of how much steel/wood blend in the track makes a track steel-or-wood pretty subjective.

FWIW, you do let Wolverine Wildcat through, which also has Titan track. ;)
Yes, we’ve come into the nerdy debate lol. So you are correct about titan track which is 100% steel which is why we decided that if a ride has more than 50% titan track, it is considered steel (same as RCDB). Which, if you apply that same rule to topper track, it checks as the coasters that feature topper track runs 100% topper track 😂

Gosh I hope I’m not sounding like Bernie now haha

I suppose I would personally consider the topper track coasters “hybrid” but with that specific category (hybrid by track construction not by track/supports) being so narrow, the limited amount of them need to end up as either wood or steel. I’m sure I’m being a purist, but it seemed fairer to draw the line at “wood coasters are majority wood stack track only.” Maybe it’s more like “traditional” wood coasters and “hybrid” wood coasters. Idk but I’m certainly open to changing that, or really any, rule if it makes the poll better.

I appreciate your support and questioning the ruleset, the discussion is what makes all of this fun 👍
 
Well, you crazy CF folks really did it. Balder has taken the provisional #1 spot. Phoenix fans, somebody awake over there?


But Sweden, you’ve got some homework: that #1 currently comes with an asterisk.


To lose the asterisk, Balder needs riders on at least 25% of all counting ballots, plus the required head-to-head comparisons meeting the 10% voter threshold. And it still has to hold onto the highest calculated placement. More riders don’t automatically mean more love.


So if you’ve ridden Balder, GET YOUR BALLOT IN. Bring your coaster friends. Give it enough rider coverage to put an unasterisked #1 where your mouth is.


Phoenix fans: you’re going to let this happen?


Rate the wood coasters you’ve actually ridden and VOTE:


These standings are provisional. There’s still time to make this everyone else’s problem.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6179.jpeg
    IMG_6179.jpeg
    138.5 KB · Views: 1
Yes, we’ve come into the nerdy debate lol. So you are correct about titan track which is 100% steel which is why we decided that if a ride has more than 50% titan track, it is considered steel (same as RCDB). Which, if you apply that same rule to topper track, it checks as the coasters that feature topper track runs 100% topper track 😂

Gosh I hope I’m not sounding like Bernie now haha

I suppose I would personally consider the topper track coasters “hybrid” but with that specific category (hybrid by track construction not by track/supports) being so narrow, the limited amount of them need to end up as either wood or steel. I’m sure I’m being a purist, but it seemed fairer to draw the line at “wood coasters are majority wood stack track only.” Maybe it’s more like “traditional” wood coasters and “hybrid” wood coasters. Idk but I’m certainly open to changing that, or really any, rule if it makes the poll better.

I appreciate your support and questioning the ruleset, the discussion is what makes all of this fun 👍
Well Wildfire certainly feels more like a steel hybrid than a traditional wooden coaster so I kind of agree not putting it in with the wooden poll. However the lines between steel and wood are getting so blurry now that I feel like it makes more sense just to have a single poll/rankings.
 
Well Wildfire certainly feels more like a steel hybrid than a traditional wooden coaster so I kind of agree not putting it in with the wooden poll. However the lines between steel and wood are getting so blurry now that I feel like it makes more sense just to have a single poll/rankings.
That’s fair, we may change this poll going forward based on feedback, we just figured the classic Mitch Hawker approach was a good starting spot. Plus, I don’t want to rank every coaster I’ve been on in one sitting lol.
 
Plus, I don’t want to rank every coaster I’ve been on in one sitting lol.
yeah, that’s what @coasterbot’s survey is for! 😝

Well Wildfire certainly feels more like a steel hybrid than a traditional wooden coaster so I kind of agree not putting it in with the wooden poll. However the lines between steel and wood are getting so blurry now that I feel like it makes more sense just to have a single poll/rankings.
I’ve also ridden steel coasters far rougher than majority wooden coasters!

Where I get stuck on the hybrid classification is where do we insert those coasters if they aren’t counted as wood nor counted as steel? What’s more - they are some damn good, top 10 rides that create skew when not included.

My personal druthers are to do the straight wood-and-steel poll to make sure everything gets counted. And in moments of determining what’s wood and steel, I go off of RCDB categorization for some level of consistency. Yes I have some Topper Track coasters high in my mix… but you know the traditionally-built Voyage still takes the cake. 😅
 
IMG_6206.jpeg
Well, apparently Balder being on top wasn’t confusing enough. Denmark has entered the chat.


Rutschebanen at Tivoli Gardens is now sitting at number 1 in the provisional standings. Phoenix, The Voyage and El Toro have all been dethroned.


Temporarily? Who the hell knows. That’s why we’re still voting.


There is an asterisk attached: fewer than 25% of counting voters have ridden Rutschebanen. To hold an unasterisked top spot, it needs to meet both the 25% rider-coverage requirement and the 10% mutual-rider head-to-head threshold—and still lead the calculated standings. More riders could strengthen its position or knock it down.


So, Tivoli fans: get your ballots in. Phoenix, Voyage and El Toro fans: are you really going to let this thread turn into a Danish victory parade?


Vote honestly. Rate the wood coasters you’ve actually ridden. An angry reply is welcome, but unfortunately it does not count as a ballot.




Nothing here is final. Give us more data to argue about.
 
IMG_6241.jpeg
Well, you crazy CFers are still causing problems. Troy is now ahead of Phoenix—and neither is number one.


Knoebels fans, please remain seated until the discourse comes to a complete stop.


Before Toverland declares an international holiday: Troy has an asterisk because fewer than 25% of counting voters have ridden it. Its calculated placement is retained, but an unasterisked Top 10 spot requires both the 25% ridership threshold and the 10% mutual-rider head-to-head threshold.


So yes, Troy is ahead in this snapshot. No, the asterisk isn’t decorative. And these standings can still move as more ballots arrive.


Ridden both? We could especially use your ballot. Ridden neither? Rank the wood coasters you HAVE ridden. You don’t need a passport or 200 credits to participate.


Paste your list, import a spreadsheet, or select from the roster, then rank your rides and finish submitting your ballot. A forum reply explaining why everyone else is wrong unfortunately does not count as a vote.


Give your terrible opinions actual consequences:
 
Well, CFers, apparently taking over the conversation wasn’t enough. You had to take over the standings too. Balder is back at number one.


Meanwhile, RAMPAGE has wandered into tenth. Alabama would like a word with everybody who keeps recycling the same top ten.


Both placements carry an asterisk: fewer than 25% of counting voters have ridden each coaster. To clear the top-ten requirements, a coaster needs that 25% rider threshold AND the required head-to-head coverage. So Balder has the calculated lead, but there’s still work to do before anyone starts a victory lap.


The CF influence is showing. If you’ve ridden Balder, get your ballot in. If you’ve ridden Rampage, we apparently need to hear from you too. And if this screenshot offends your entire coaster worldview, excellent. Submit a ballot and do something about it.


Paste your ridden wood coaster list, rank the rides, and finish submitting. You don’t need to have ridden everything to have a say.


 

Attachments

  • IMG_6264.jpeg
    IMG_6264.jpeg
    167.3 KB · Views: 0
Back
Top