What's new

Euthanasia coaster

Thats silly. But I suppose if I had to die, it would either be in bed... ;) Or on that thing!

The layout could be better though, I'd much rather be exerted to extreme negative G's than constant positives.

But either way, as cool find as it is, it's stupid :)

I would ride that, and i would survive. And then i would buy an on ride photo.

I think it would just be cheaper to send people off cliffs in lorries.

Sorry to bring this topic "back from the dead" (hahahaha), but this got a mention (the coaster, not this topic) on QI on Saturday night on BBC2.

Also a tiny bit of "coaster banter" if anyone needs to feel justification for their hobby through intellectual/comedic discussion on TV. Plus Ross Noble was on it too so it's worth watching anyway. You should be able to grab it on iPlayer :)

It was the XL version, I don't know if it was in the normal short version.

Think they said the speed would be something like 200mph+, so the g-forces would.

Not quite sure I understand how it would be painless though.

caffeine_demon said:
Seriously - I don't think the coaster on http://www.di.research.rca.ac.uk/content/home# would actually kill you...
*DING DING DING!* We have a winner!

I knew it'd only be a matter of a page or two for someone to question the layout's ability to kill. :roll:

euthanasia_coaster_front.jpg

^^I suppose it depends on how small those inversions are towards the end. I was just discussing how many Gs the human body can take in the lab for my intermediate dynamics class today. Some guy (John Stapp) withstood a maximum of 46g forces during a rocket sled test. Of course these weren't sustained Gs but the article also says that he was subjected to 25g for 1.1 seconds. Mind you he was probably trained for this, but I figure the number of sustained g-forces by the end of the circuit would probably kill most but it's hard to say for sure. Check out the Wikipedia article to see more info on g-forces:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-force

Here's a photo of John Stapp during the test, taken from Wikipedia

StappSled.jpg

I've never .... got this?

I think it's fairly obvious that layout probably wouldn't kill anyone.

I don't think it was ..."designed" by anyone with a single **** clue about roller coasters. Look it it. That's what the uncreative would draw if you asked them to design a roller coaster.

Read the company's about page...

What happens when you decouple design from the marketplace, when rather than making technology sexy, easy to use and more consumable, designers use the language of design to pose questions, inspire, and provoke — to transport our imaginations into parallel but possible worlds?
Our research explores new ways design can make technology more meaningful and relevant to our lives, both now, and in the future, by thinking not only about new applications but implications as well.
It focusses on exploring interactions between people, science and technology on many different levels. We’re concerned not only with the expressive, functional and communicative possibilities of new technologies but also with the social, cultural and ethical consequences of living within an increasingly technologically mediated society.
We do this through design-led research projects which are disseminated internationally through exhibitions, publications and conferences. Our research is funded through a mixture of research council, European Union, cultural, academic and industrial organisations.
As well as working on applied research exploring themes and topics developed with external partners, we are working towards establishing a theoretical framework for conceptual, critical and speculative design practices in relation to science and technology.
If you would like to discuss possibilities for working together, please contact us.

And look at their other projects http://www.di.research.rca.ac.uk/content/projects

It's just fine art conceptual bollocks.

Yeah, it's just stupid artistic conceptual bollocks, but it would kill you.

If you watch the episode of QI, it states the forces you'd go through and it was sustained high-g. The coaster is over 1,000ft tall (if you needed any confirmation it'll never be built) and I can't remember the details, but you hit ridiculously high g forces as you go hundreds of miles an hour into inversions that are simply too small. The first loop is only a third the total height of the coaster. We know that a comfortable inversion needs to be close the height of the drop which gives the potential energy. The progressively smaller loops retain a lot of the potential energy and you'd still be going hundreds of miles per hour in the final, 60 foot high loop.

So yeah, definitely a killer and will definitely never be built :)

^^I'm not saying the people proposing this are legitimate, but the concept could be. Don't get me wrong, I'm taking this all in good fun and don't think any of it would ever happen...but that doesn't mean it's not feasible.

[Edit]: I pretty much agree with furie

Surely a centrifuge would be better to kill people than a Roller Coaster.

It would be cheaper and you would be able to control the amount of force more accurately.

I don't like the idea that its about 30 consecutive loops one after another, I think it should have a really exciting first half, with stupid amounts of airtime, and then decide deprive the brain of oxygen. I'd want my final coaster to be one I'd enjoy, I wouldn't want to go on knowing it's going to be **** and then I'll just die, whats the fun in that?

^OMG, I totally hadn't thought about it like that, but you're right.

I had a daft conversation on a similar note with Neal at Thorpe the other week. We were in the queue under Stealth's launch, and were discussing our potential impending death from exploding Intamin launch cable. As I said, people at my funeral would blatantly use the phrase "at least she died doing what she loved" Erm, I'm sorry, but there's nothing I "love" about queuing for coasters. If I died whilst actually on Stealth, that'd be a different matter entirely.

There's nothing I "love" about SLCs for example, so if I died on one of those, please don't let anyone say that at my funeral. Same goes for Furius Baco, or KlonDYKE at Hayling Island, or Whirlwind (if some idiot does resurrect it. Eugh.)

Same goes for this. If it was an outdoor Vekoma, with that layout, I'm not going to "love" it. Also, if there's a good bit, you could have an ORP for your loved ones to remember you by - genuinely doing something you LOVE. Yes, THAT'd be fab.

Let B&M make it by just tagging a load of loops onto the end of a fabulous Hyper, then we'll talk.