What's new
FORUMS - COASTERFORCE

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Glenwood Caverns Incident

Such a terrible reading report do feel for the family, wouldn't be the first time overridding the panel has caused injury's/death.
Wonder what the repercussions for the park will be
 
I wonder how many accidents we have to experience that revolve around ride operators overriding a safety warning before parks start to take it seriously and only allow technical services to override such warnings.
 
It’s tragic, but I have to ask how the family didn’t realise the child wasn’t wearing a seatbelt? Like how did the parents put two separate seat belts on themselves without thinking to check on their 6 year old?
 
^ Don't think they have said who the other riders were (possibly deliberately) ; it was a big family group at the park, so I kinda though it might just have been a load of kids on the ride.

Which makes it even grimmer.
 
Hate to bump the thread but the Haunted Mine Drop appears to be missing completely from the website. There’s nothing on their main attractions pages and it’s not listed among the seasonal/summertime attraction operation list. Looks to have been wiped, hope that it’s not gone permanently.

 
I keep thinking about whether it has something to do with the restrictions, or deficiency in that department? I feel like something will undoubtedly turn out badly eventually; maybe the visitor got out? In any case I shouldn't actually guess, we will discover every one of the subtleties soon once the examination happens I'm certain. Musings and supplications go to the group obviously.
@Pokemaniac been a while 🤔
 
Yeah, this looks fishy as all heck. Apologise to James if you're real and can read this, but your behaviour is awfully consistent with that of a spambot and I'd rather press the nuke button now than keeping an eye on the thread and going through all the hassle of cleaning up later. Please try again with more credibility.
 
^Some good news for a change. 😁
So very, very happy about this. I make no secret of the fact that I love that park and I loved the Haunted Mine Drop (even though it scared seven shades of sh*te outta me).
Would have been a great shame if it closed for good, such a unique (and terrifying) attraction (and no, Nemesis Sub Terra does not count. Not even close).
I'm fairly confident that seat belts, a cage and a more rigorous safety procedure will not detract from the experience in any tangible way. In fact, if done right, it could even enhance the tension and claustrophobia somewhat.
Big smiles. 😁😁
 
Excellent. I've been in two minds whether to make the effort for this place next month, but this is swinging it in the right direction.
 
Excellent. I've been in two minds whether to make the effort for this place next month, but this is swinging it in the right direction.

Mate, if you're even remotely in that area then GC is absolutely worth a visit, even more so now.
Some good alpine coasters nearby too (Vail, Breckenridge, Copper Mountain etc...) plus Cave of the Winds Mountain Park where they've got that Stan Checketts canyon swing. Oh, and the scenery is not too shabby round there either.
Do it, bruv. You'll thank me for it, honest. You'll say to yourself 'Gav, Howie was right, I must thank him for it'. 😉
 
Last edited:
Mate, if you're even remotely in that area then GC is absolutely worth a visit, even more so now.
Some good alpine coasters nearby too (Vail, Breckenridge, Copper Mountain etc...) plus Cave of the Winds Mountain Park where they've got that Stan Checketts canyon swing. Oh, and the scenery is not too shabby round there either.
Do it, bruv. You'll thank me for it, honest. You'll say to yourself 'Gav, Howie was right, I must thank him for it'.
It'll be a day trip from Denver, taking a bus, so it'll be just the park without any extras. I can look at the scenery and call it a cultural experience though.
 
According to Glenwood Caverns (official statement on their Instagram page), Soaring Eagle knew of two prior ejections from their rides with the same restraint systems that they didn't disclose before building the Haunted Mine Drop ride, and that the verdict puts the parks existence at risk.

1758498016813.png

If what they're saying about Soaring Eagle is true, that's horrifying. This statement does kind of put a surprisingly large amount of blame on Soaring Eagle and doesn't take much responsibility themselves, but if it's true that Soaring Eagle provided a faulty product they knew was faulty and Glenwood had to modify it with external companies after the fact to make it safe to operate, they are right to call out the company but I'm pretty sure they don't exist anymore, so it's kind of cheap. EDIT: But going back to the old reports from the time this happened, Glenwood has their hand in the incident as well and ought to take responsibility in this statement for their part.

Edit edit: Also; painting the victim's family as unwilling to negotiate a solution like this is gross.
 
Last edited:
A jury has this week found the park negligent of the death and awarded a whooping $205 million payout to the family... I'm not sure how much of that they'll receive or if the park can/will even cough it up, but yeah; https://www.cbsnews.com/colorado/ne...rk-colorado-negligent-death-wongel-estifanos/

The place (unsurprisingly given that lawsuit) filed for bankruptcy;


Glenwood Caverns Holdings LLC, the operator of Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park in Glenwood Springs, Colorado, has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. The decision follows another lawsuit whose September 2025 verdict required the adventure park operator to pay nearly $205 million.
 
I highly highly recommend the recent Coaster College video about this. After so much speculation and misinformation, I found it super interesting to see a thorough breakdown of all the events leading up to the accident.

The video doesn't shy away from the park's responsibility in causing the accident, but it's quite damning on the manufacturer Soaring Eagle — including some fundamentally flawed design decisions and details about previous similar incidents on their other rides.

 
Last edited:
Bump.
The park has been sold for $14.8 million after a judge ruled in favor of the sale, with the Canadian company Gondola Ventures controlling 80%. Steve Beckley, the founder of Glenwood Caverns, will hold a 20% stake. The family of the girl who fell will only receive $5 million from the sale of the park, in addition to $7 million from its insurance company. That's far less than the $205 million the jury awarded. Source
 
Back
Top