What's new

How to persuade the nervous and scared

Kebab

Giga Poster
In the past, I've needed to persuade friends to come on certain rides. Whether it be their first 'upside-down' experience, accelerator or conquering the mighty Oblivion, this wouldn't have happened without a bit of 'oh it's nothing' or 'its not that big'. Sure I maybe lying, but there's nothing more rewarding than getting your **** scared friends to go on something there **** scared of. Then there's the best part, going up the lift hearing 'I want to get off!' and 'why am I doing this?'.

Am I the only sick person who finds satisfaction in doing this? What are your experiences? Ever had to be persuaded to go on something your scared of? What are your ways of persuading?

Discuss!

Doesn't happen to me much now.. in fact I can't think of the last time I went to a park with a group that included people my age who were scared to ride anything.

In the family, I used to have to coax my younger brother into getting on some of the bigger rides, and usually I'd just do that by riding them with my dad once or twice to show him how much fun we were having. I don't think I really made a habit of telling white lies like "oh it's really not that tall or that fast."

Once, when we were both much younger & were waiting together to ride Kumba on our first family trip to Busch Gardens Tampa, I gave him the choice of waiting for first row or not, and he chose to wait the extra 30 minutes for that. Then when our turn to board came up, he couldn't go through with it so he walked across to the unloading platform while I rode solo. I had a blast, & came off with a huge smile on my face, so he was really frustrated at himself for wimping out after seeing that. That was all the motivation he needed to get back in line and get on the ride.

I usually try and point out any small kids that are on a ride that look as though they're having the time of their life.

Then its "If they can do it, you can".

Force them on the tallest and fastest coaster in the park, so when they whine about riding something smaller I point out they already did worse.

Then they just accept defeat and I get to listen to their girly screams of terror!

Im such an amazing friend >:3

I just always talk them through it, what to expect and am sure to compare to previous rides they have ridden.

I didn't truly begin riding roller coasters until I was 15, so I am familiar with the uncertainty.

^Me to. I became a coaster lover in 2010. I was always nervous then I went on Bizarro and felt like I could do anything after that. I think if you are nervous you just need to do it. When I was younger I use to be terrified climbing the lifthill on Canobie Corkscrew and I even missed out on Space Mountain because I was scared. I've felt as the more coasters I've ridden it makes me feel even more comfortable and totally fine. I have never been in a situation where I've had to convince others because I come from a family of thrill seekers but I can understand the POV from the person being uneasy about going on.

Force them on and tell them 'if I can do it, then they can most certainly do it.'

Frankly I don't tend to take **** scared friends with me purely because it is too much faff to get them on a ride that they don't want to go on. I try to choose friends who don't mind going on coasters etc. :p

My Bf is completely ignorant of parks and attractions. I wanted to get on a Pirate ship and she sayd: " What's that?" I: Oh only a 3D Cinema, it only move itself like a sheep.

OMG how I laughed :lol: :lol: :lol: . She's afraid of everything. :lol: :lol:

usually if I say "see that little kid?" "if they can ride it without any problems, then so can you......can't you?"
it works and they get on. I don't pressure too much, because personally I don't like to get pressured into stuff so wont do it to others too much.

Tell them they don't have to do anything they don't want to do.

That simple. They almost always decide to do it.

NEVER make a big deal out of it, EVER.

Hyde244 said:
I just always talk them through it, what to expect and am sure to compare to previous rides they have ridden.

I didn't truly begin riding roller coasters until I was 15, so I am familiar with the uncertainty.

This.

Didn't become an enthusiast until Around the same time so I know what's it's like to be scared out of your mind.

Still am sometimes. Just ask Jer when we were in line for Kingda Ka...