What's new

Intamin prefab noise

jjjjustin

Hyper Poster
I went to Great Adventure recently and rode El toro like always. But when I was waiting in line, for 2 hours, I thought what made that noise as it went over the hills?

Skip to 0:45 in this video
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPktxGsoEHk&feature=related[/youtube]

It's the sound of the train running on the upstop wheels as the force tries to lift it off the track.

Because of the material I'm guessing.

And don't say that like you knew what I just told you, ingrate.

You um, just asked what made that noise.

It's the upstops.

If you'd known about upstops, you'd have said, "why do upstops make that noise?"

My guess is going to be that it's due to the smaller wheels. Up-stop wheels are generally smaller (I assume they are on El Toro too) so they have to turn faster than the normal, larger, running wheels. I assume the increased speed would cause the wheels (or the bearings I guess) make a louder/different noise. That's my best guess anyway! :p

Hixee's got it right, the smaller diameter wheel must rotate faster which makes for this higher pitched sound. In addition to that they might be all made of steel, which not have a damping layer of polyurethane that the other ones have, which increases the noise even more.

I remember hearing that and thought they had those roll back looking things ontop of every hill. Got told later it has been nicknamed the Intamin Fart apparently (cause truth be told, it does sound like it is farting)...

God that ride spited every person over 175 pounds it seemed. Never seen so many walk of shames in my life.

Switching between the hideouts'...

Hixee said:
My guess is going to be that it's due to the smaller wheels. Up-stop wheels are generally smaller (I assume they are on El Toro too) so they have to turn faster than the normal, larger, running wheels. I assume the increased speed would cause the wheels (or the bearings I guess) make a louder/different noise. That's my best guess anyway! :p

I would think on a major airtime coaster that the up stops would be quite large

^I think you'd be surprised actually. I can't actually find a picture of the upstops directly (don't know if someone knows if there's one online somewhere?), but this picture might have to do:

816fg007paqoer1621ho33.jpg

You can't see the upstop wheels directly, but there doesn't look like there's a lot of room down there. They're definitely smaller than the normal running wheels as you'd be able to see them sticking out from underneath the train.

It sounds like when you spin cheap Skateboard wheels really fast. They seem to vibrate left and right and make a crunchy noise similar to these Intamin things.