Is Hyperia your top UK coaster?

• Yes

Votes: 40 55.6%
  • No

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • Undecided/Haven’t ridden yet

Votes: 24 33.3%

• Total voters
I was meant to ride Hyperia tomorrow, but this coaster does not cooperate.

My thoughts going in is that it will be probably my favourite in the UK, at least top three. The ride looks forceful and really fun. As someone who rode Voltron already, I actually don’t know if Hyperia can really beat it. I found Voltron pretty smooth (maybe they sorted the wheels by the time I rode it).

The reason I doubt it’s better than Voltron for me is the airtime moments Vs Voltron. Voltron has two very aggressive camelbacks that feel violent, and I feel Hyperia will be very floatjector? Voltron has so many airtime moments that Hyperia just can’t compete.

The inversions, launches, theming, throughput, and even the musical coils! I think this will make me prefer Voltron. I doubt Hyperia is gonnna hitting that 1000+ throughput that I want it to when I visit. But yeah Voltron is like double the length with a relentless layout. Hyperia looks amazing, but I do not expect it to be the best thing ever.

Tbf I feel like we had similar hype when Swarm was built. Everyone was proclaiming it was the best coaster in Europe, which I couldn’t disagree more personally Tbf (it’s my 5th favourite coaster in the park). So I hope it lives up to the hype.

Last edited:
Oh and for anyone complaining it's too short, I timed both rides based on POVs from the point they leave the lift hill to the brake runs, and I think Nemesis was about 3 seconds longer. Nobody ever moaned about Nemesis being too short did they?
But is this a fair comparison? I've not ridden both rides, but I know Nemesis is a low to the ground short but action packed ride. Hyperia is a Hyper coaster with big elements and drops. I still think you could make a statement about the ride being short for a ride of it's size.

But is this a fair comparison? I've not ridden both rides, but I know Nemesis is a low to the ground short but action packed ride. Hyperia is a Hyper coaster with big elements and drops. I still think you could make a statement about the ride being short for a ride of it's size.
Maybe not, but the point I was trying to make was that both rides do everything they need to without any dead spots. No doubt, Hyperia is short for a hyper coaster. You could add more length but would it make the ride any better after those huge, unique elements or would it just be filler? Realistically it would just have been a smaller banked turn and a couple of small airtime hills - nothing you'd really be impressed by after what preceded them.

Maybe not, but the point I was trying to make was that both rides do everything they need to without any dead spots. No doubt, Hyperia is short for a hyper coaster. You could add more length but would it make the ride any better after those huge, unique elements or would it just be filler? Realistically it would just have been a smaller banked turn and a couple of small airtime hills - nothing you'd really be impressed by after what preceded them.
I’ve always thought that something along the lines of this layout proposal from an NL2 YouTuber would have been absolutely perfect to extend it slightly:
This layout proposal isn’t too much longer than the current ride, but it adds a couple of really impactful-looking moments of good, straight airtime, it negates the need for the giant set of trim brakes after the dive loop, and it also just generally looks like a marginally more complete ride.

Granted, I haven’t yet ridden Hyperia, but while I don’t think its length looks to be a major issue or like it majorly impacts the ride, it would be nice if they had been able to build a bit more to negate the need for that giant set of trims. That is a quibble rather than a deal breaker, though; Hyperia as is looks phenomenal, and I can’t wait to ride it!

You could add more length but would it make the ride any better after those huge, unique elements or would it just be filler?

I don't see how adding to the length would ultimately hurt the ride experience. But I found that, by the end of the ride, I'd had a full experience and was almost grateful to catch my breath from it. The trim does make for a bit of a lull in the rides pacing, but it still felt like a complete ride when going through it element by element and what you get out of it.

I’m undecided.

Nemesis, which I was very fond of, has definitely dropped in my rankings under its new iteration. Hyperia will probably still be sitting higher by the time I post them in the ‘rankings’ thread (by a few positions).

… but it’s the same ballpark and definitely subject to swing. Maybe my criticisms of Nemesis Reborn will soften as I let go of my fondness for the original. Maybe Hyperia will continue to give me a headache or get even worse in that regard… but I’m hoping that it will only improve.

A ‘smooth’ version of Hyperia would definitely outclass Nemesis, but that’s not what I’ve experienced to date unfortunately. I’m a sensitive sausage.

Let’s see!

I don't see how adding to the length would ultimately hurt the ride experience. But I found that, by the end of the ride, I'd had a full experience and was almost grateful to catch my breath from it. The trim does make for a bit of a lull in the rides pacing, but it still felt like a complete ride when going through it element by element and what you get out of it.
Would it be safe to assume that adding more elements at the end would mean there could be no trim on the splashdown? If so, I think a bit more length could definitely help. But they would have to maintain the sense of pace, otherwise I think they could make it a worse experience.

Would it be safe to assume that adding more elements at the end would mean there could be no trim on the splashdown? If so, I think a bit more length could definitely help. But they would have to maintain the sense of pace, otherwise I think they could make it a worse experience.

Just my opinion, but to me it looks like it should rise up about 120ft after the dive stall and go through a mid-course brake, then drop down and do five or six hills after that. That would give riders a bit of a breather and create another block zone. Four enormous elements, then a trim and two small ones... I'm not saying it's short or not long enough as a ride experience; it just looks like it's missing the middle portion of the ride.

To me there is a huge difference between short term and long term.
Because Hyperia is something new, so now many people find it the best there is. But what will happen over 5 years?
And still the overall length of the ride is my main problem

Just my opinion, but to me it looks like it should rise up about 120ft after the dive stall and go through a mid-course brake, then drop down and do five or six hills after that. That would give riders a bit of a breather and create another block zone. Four enormous elements, then a trim and two small ones... I'm not saying it's short or not long enough as a ride experience; it just looks like it's missing the middle portion of the ride.
One of the things I think it does really well is that it manages to have great airtime while not being a sequence of hills. I do enjoy that style of coaster, but I find it a bit repetitive. I think I'd like a bit more element variety than what you propose. I've never gotten into the layout design part of the hobby with NL2 and the like so I don't really know what I'd do instead.

To me there is a huge difference between short term and long term.
Because Hyperia is something new, so now many people find it the best there is. But what will happen over 5 years?
The storms come and go, the big fish eat the little fish and Nemesis keeps on paddling.

I'm not old enough to remember, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if there'd been people lauding Air and Oblivion like this when they first opened.

Nemesis probably has the biggest nostalgic following among UK enthusiasts, deservedly so as it's still a great ride. It doesn't surprise me Hyperia doesn't top it for some people. Does anyone have any really weird takes though? Is there anyone who thinks the Big One or Sik or the Runaway Mine Train is better than Hyperia?

The storms come and go, the big fish eat the little fish and Nemesis keeps on paddling.

I'm not old enough to remember, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if there'd been people lauding Air and Oblivion like this when they first opened.
None that I knew.

Air was recognised immediately as being much less thrilling. (And had a pretty disastrous launch, with a lot of down time. It was one of the biggest sources of complaints for us in Guest Services.)

Oblivion, whilst celebrated as being unique, and genuinely terrifying, was always 'way too short' to be considered better than Nemesis.

I do remember there were people who still preferred Corkscrew though, said Nemesis was 'too intense,' too short (even though it's like 10 - 15 seconds shorter) and that, as Corkscrew had been their numero uno for 14 years, no new shiny tech was going to sway them. 😂

Does anyone have any really weird takes though? Is there anyone who thinks the Big One or Sik or the Runaway Mine Train is better than Hyperia?
Admittedly geography is part of this, but I'm in more of a hurry to ride Gold Rush than Rhyperia. They've finished painting it and everything.

I did consider dragging myself to Thorpe on Friday as I was staying the night near Stansted, but the idea of going from Europa to Thorpe in the space of 24 hours had me wondering which vein would be easiest to nick...

So I went walking instead.

Just in case my review in the Hyperia thread left you in any doubt. In my opinion Hyperia is in no way the best coaster in the country.

Coaster wise what's there is pretty great but it's half a great experience. An astonishing drop and 3 great elements then it just ends. It's just leaves me feeling so unfulfilled and short changed in comparison to rides like Kondaa, Mako and Taron.

I get that in comparison to nemesis its probably not that much different ride time wise but Nemesis feels like it uses it's potential energy to the full and gets the most out of its layout. There's no way you could ever say that about Hyperia. It's just doesn't satisfy me and I got off feeling like it could and should have been so much more.

And it's themeing if you want to call it that is honestly a joke. I feel that aspect of the ride is getting a lot of leeway just because it's in the UK and we haven't had such a big ride in a very long time. But the whole area feels like opening the box of a knock off expensive watch from Temu.

It tries to look fancy and authentic but if you scratch the surface it's just gold paint and very little substance.

I don't actually mind the lack of themeing on the main layout. Kondaa and Mako show you don't need that. And arguably at the speed these rides travel it doesn't add as much as other rides.

Thorpe park isn't known for it's immersive themeing but Hyperia is a step back from things like Amity Beach. The themeing on Tidal Wave may not be the best in the world but I feel it does a lot with very little. The amusing radio chatter and things like the collapsed roof in the KFC (is it still like that? Not been in for years) are lovely little details that sell the area.

Fearless Valley (it's not a valley for one 😅) feels sterile and forced in comparison and I'm not really sure what the theme is actually supposed to be beyond "cool looking"

Anyway enough ranting. 🤣 I think people get my opinion on Hyperia by now.

TLDR - not the best in the UK, poorly themed and half a great ride. Nemesis does it better on all accounts.

Last edited:
Not sure if this has been shared anywhere recently (Or since it first entered the rankings.)

But now that more reviews have come in, Hyperia (World #35) sits decisively above Nemesis (World #52) in the Captain Coaster UK and World rankings.

Has anything ever managed that before? I've certainly never seen it if it has. (Obviously talking about other ranking systems here, Golden Ticket etc, since CapCo hasn't been around that long.)

Screenshot 2024-07-14 085346.jpg