What's new

Kishkinta (Chennai) : Knock Off Disko Accident

davidm

Strata Poster
Not a good story this, rather nasty accident in a knock-off disko ride in Chennai on Wednesday (11th).

Seems the riders/staff (the guy killed was a park worker) were being forced to "test" the ride after the park was SBNO for a while after the recent floods - and the disko bit appears to have just come off the track / broken up - ugh, pretty horrible. (theres video on these links - not gruesome but pretty unpleasant as you see the disk crashing). Park owner has (no kidding) been arrested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mynb0ohuizM

[ edit : links removed since Nealbie's comments ]

Don't ride the dodgy knock-offs people ; and don't ride them as surrogate test dummies either.

--

and I also note from HERE;

gavin said:
Kishkinta Theme Park

This place was closed.

I couldn’t actually see the park from the entrance area, but the gates were closed and a security told us that it hadn’t been open since the floods. There were only two crappy coasters there anyway, and I’d been pretty lucky that this was the only place closed considering what had happened just a few weeks previously.
Pretty lucky generally.

Zamperla have also released a statement distancing themselves from it:
CiWXH9LW0AAHpGD.jpg:orig

Jesus that's scary. One moment everything seems okay but then the next second the thing snaps. Terrible.

This is why I'd never ride an Asian knock off flat ride. The standards are simply much poorer and they are much more unsafe (although like all rides, they do operate most of the time without incident).

^ There's a HUGE difference between a home-made ride like this and the stuff from the bigger knockoff companies.

The main knockoff manufacturers are mostly pretty safe, and then I'm talking about Golden Horse and Beijing jiuhua amusement rides. But the homemade attractions like this one are indeed dangerous. Why? Because the builders don't know anything about Attractions, this one even ran without upstop wheels

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9301I met Tapatalk

^Exactly.

The bigger Chinese knockoff companies are massive operations churning out more rides than the originals they're knocking off. They're HUGE multi-million dollar companies, staffed by fully-qualified engineers and with hundreds of employees. Their rides have to get signed off just like any originals would. Their rides are, essentially, the same as the originals.

This one-of-a-kind, in-house, behind-closed-doors piece of s**t doesn't fall into that category.

^ you went all the way up to this park, but it was (luckily) closed - obviously if it'd been open you'd have grabbed the dodgy-creds but do you think you would have ridden the dodgy-flats at all?

( I guess if you weren't thinking too hard it could have been one of those "not ridden this particular variety of disko, I'll give it a go" moments )

People keep associating 'knock off' with 'dodgy' when it's basically replicating something belonging to another company without permission and selling it. Because of what they are, these knock off coasters will still go through all the safety regulations and tests that all manufacturers go through in order to get built and opened. This isn't the black market

^ With this thing though, I doubt that's the case. The park owner seems to have forced staff on it to test it, and has been arrested.

^^ Well, I'm assuming this wouldn't have been there even if the park had been open. I'd have obviously got the creds though. With flat rides, I'll try new stuff, but I don't think that would've been "new" enough to warrant bothering to be honest.

I've done maybe 2 or 3 Chinese Diskos. They're exactly the same as the Zamperla ones: crap and not worth bothering with now.

Yeah I forgot about Golden Horse and I know they'd be fine, they're a pretty big company nowadays and are trying some original **** like a duelling tilt coaster. There's a few other big companies in China which have plenty of skilled engineers and designers too. Call me basic but I wouldn't trust some small reclusive company's knock off flat ride as much as the real thing. History tells us that knock offs in general are rarely as good, e.g. the Concorde was a great plane but Russia's knock off, the Tupolev TU 144 was a piece of **** with dozens of part failures every flight!

It doesn't matter what I think anyway, if I went to China I'd only be interested in the biggest parks with coasters I want to ride like Parrot Coaster and that orange Intamin :)