What's new

Name a Park, What You Think it Needs to Do, and How To Do It

Re: Name a Park, What You Think it Needs to Do, and How To D

^Thanks once again for the very well delivered response. However, as I've already stated I won't join in discussion with you again. It seems like the sensible approach. But please continue to enjoy your time on the forums. :)

Now let's allow this topic to get back on track so others can enjoy it. Thanks.

Darren B said:
^Thanks once again for the very well delivered response. However, as I've already stated I won't join in discussion with you again. It seems like the sensible approach. But please continue to enjoy your time on the forums. :)

All I want from you is an explanation as to why you think I should treat others differently to how I have been treated. This is what you demanded from me in your last post and I would like to know why.

And an apology for your personal attacks, then you can go and pretend I don't exist and I will gladly reciprocate.

joshuadrooney said:
Darren B said:

All I want from you is an explanation as to why you think I should treat others differently to how I have been treated. This is what you demanded from me in your last post and I would like to know why.

And an apology for your personal attacks, then you can go and pretend I don't exist and I will gladly reciprocate.

I fail to see how you could have come to the conclusion that I was hoping for debate on this matter.

Darren B said:
joshuadrooney said:
Darren B said:

I fail to see how you could have come to the conclusion that I was hoping for debate on this matter.

No doubt you felt all warm and fuzzy when you came up with that idea. As a result of your attitude, I will cease all attempts to integrate further.

Ethan said:
Can I just say, feeding the troll is not going to help, although I do agree with you on that one.
Can I just remind everyone that you all have a "goons" list in your profile. I suggest people start making use of it instead of causing the forums to degenerate into endless back and forth trolling. Trolls aren't a problem when you don't see any of their posts.

Now back to the main event...

My local park is Lightwater Valley, and they're in desperate need of a mid-level coaster. They've got plenty for the younger crowd, a nice selection of thrilling flat rides and a "somehow great, although it really shouldn't be" flagship coaster in the form of The Ultimate, but then nothing else in terms of roller coasters that can back it up. Sure, Raptor Attack is a pretty good experience, and I always did like the ride even back when it was The Rat, but there's a huge gap in the line-up between what The Ultimate offers and pretty much every other coaster in the park.

Something family friendly with a couple of inversions and some floaty airtime in places would be absolutely perfect for the place, and round out the park as a complete package.

MouseAT said:
Ethan said:
Can I just say, feeding the troll is not going to help, although I do agree with you on that one.
Can I just remind everyone that you all have a "goons" list in your profile. I suggest people start making use of it instead of causing the forums to degenerate into endless back and forth trolling. Trolls aren't a problem when you don't see any of their posts.

Lots of people talking about trolls, yet I can't seem to find any.

Oh wait, yet another personal attack. Guess who's getting reported? You!

Thorpe Park, Paultons Park, Lightwater Valley, Drayton & Flamingoland could do with building a wooden coaster, be it a
Pre-fabricated, Hybrid or normal woodie.

If I won the Euro Lottery i'll give em £3 million towards a woodie and get Gravity Group or GCI to build it (certain imputs from me like LED lit tunnels, dry ice & a vertical loop (this is possible today)).

Nah, they just need a Mega-lite.
Everywhere needs a Mega-lite...
;)

I agree with Thorpe needing some sort of CityWalk style entertainment complex. It just makes sense in every way, especially with the addition of the Crash Pad or whatever they're calling it now.

With me going to Canada's Wonderland...

Canada's Wonderland
In the interest of nostalgia I'd like to see the Frontier Canada area finally become a thing. Put in the typical Cedar Fair Flying Scooters/Disk 'O Coaster and add a nice classy lighting package, maybe some string lights shaped like constellations over the midways and upgrade the signage on Mighty Canadian Minebuster and White Water Canyon. Not been there but I thought I'd throw this out there since I've had this park on my mind lately.

Cedar Point
There are two car rides RIGHT next to each other at the entrance. There's one that actually fits by Maverick. Rip these two car rides right out and BAM!!!! Space for a new GCI that can go over an upgraded marina entrance! Give the coaster a nautical theme and theme the newly created path to the marina similar to KBF's Boardwalk and they have a nice new coaster. The main entrance is guarded by GateKeeper, the Hotel Breakers entrance is guarded by Magnum, this would give the marina entrance something to guard it. Bonus points if they move the weird naked statue elsewhere. Preferably to that museum in Town Hall or the bottom of Lake Erie :p Not sure of the significance of the statue but if it's important, I totally think it should stay but otherwise, I'd just ditch it and upgrade the marina entrance to go along with a new GCI coaster.

Thorpe Park: Intamin pre fabricated woodie like T Express and El Toro

Drayton Manor: Sell G Force for some £££ and maybe get a B&M batman clone. It would do well at Drayton because they are fairly compact and not too tall.

Basing my opinion purely on the parks I've visited on multiple occasions here's my recommendation;

Thorpe Park - B&M hyper. They need a high capacity thrill machine, something that delivers airtime and most importantly, something reliable.

Alton Towers - Terrain woodie. I know this gets talked about a lot and it's every enthusiasts wet dream, but, It generally would make a great location for a wooden coaster. I feel a more traditional manufacturer would fit best (GCI or Gravity Group), however, RMC could also do a fantastic job in my opinion.

Drayton Manor Park - Gravity Group. Quassy and Story Land have both spent $2,000,000 on a compact Gravity Group woodie and they're fantastic little coasters. The price tag fits well within DMP's budget and it offers something that nowhere else in the UK can.

Pleasure Beach, Blackpool - Big Dipper Iron Horse. Nickelodeon streak has it's place in Nickelodeon land and has become quite popular since it's rebrand. Grand National is probably the most sought after woodie in England and is still popular due to the racing element. Big Dipper, however, doesn't have that much of an identity anymore. Why not take a historically significant ride that has dwindled in popularity and give it a re-birth. It makes financial sense, it wouldn't take up valuable space the park dearly lacks, and most importantly - it gives the park a world class coaster. The biggest issue, however, is the traditionalists would never allow such a huge modification to happen to such a historic coaster.

I think it will be a while before the U.K gets another major coaster because they cost significantly more to build here than in North America. Fun fact: The Smiler cost over 2 million US dollars MORE than Leviathan, the B&M giga coaster at Canada's Wonderland.

Based on the whole 5 year plan model, Thorpe should really do something along the lines of this

2015: Start replacing some of the older/less popular thrill flats with new family friendly flats. If I were Thorpe I'd sell on Vortex and replace it with a Gerstlauer Sky Fly. They look like fantastic family rides, that would also appeal to thrill seekers. I know there's issues with Gerst what with The Smilers problems, but this ride just seems like a no brainer.

2016: Invest in a big-ish airtime machine. I could really see them going for a Mack mega coaster, at something like 140ft (though probably smaller) and possibly with an inversion at the end. (Think Storm at Etnaland)

2017: As it would be a small investment year I'd spend time sprucing up the entire park, possibly replacing some of the older kids flats (Mr Monkey I am looking at you)

2018: Like everyone else I can really see them investing in an entertainment complex with a cinema and a couple of restaurants. I would probably say these would be franchises rather than merlin's own brand, to cut down on their investment costs.

2019: If they're still going for the family market at this point I would really expect a decent dark ride to be put in at some point. Where I don't know, possibly in the arena space? Or they may finally give up on X. Anyway I'd expect something along the lines of Arthur at Europa, and I would almost guarantee it would be based on a IP.

But anyway, that's what I'd do if I owned Thorpe!

^You've just made me want to think of an Alton plan, so here it is:

2015: 2 new flats, one where Submission was and one is Dark Forest. Maybe a small S&S launchy-up and down one, for X-Sector? And then for Dark Forest, a Mondial Top Scan or an Afterburner in a hole, obviously. :wink: Paint Air.

2016: A major coaster. I know that 2016 will probably be Thorpe's year now, but following the successes of their 2010 and 2013 coasters, having another one at the expected time in 2016, wouldn't seem like a bad idea. I can see something either in the Air car park, or the elusively-hypothetical cross-valley ride, probably being an RMC woodie, or a B&M 4D debut, because they seem like Alton's sort of thing. Paint Air.

2017: Time for an area retheme. Keeping with kiddie areas, relocate Spinball somewhere (maybe the big field in the middle of the park, or, again, the Air car park) and put a nice Vekoma/Zierer family coaster in, with maybe a Disko, or something. Paint Air.

2018: Another big flat ride somewhere, maybe Katanga Canyon? Good time for a retheme/refurb. Also, refurbish Forbidden Valley and PAINT AIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2019: Major coaster time. If a cross-valley coaster wasn't installed last time, it'll be this time. It's hard to tell what kind of coaster it would be, as ride technology progresses a lot in 5 years.....oh and paint air. :wink:

Since I was just at Dollywood and they've announced that 10-year plan thing they're doing, I'll take a gander at it. The lady working Q2Q said that they were probably getting another big coaster in a few years when I didn't even ask her about such a subject, and while she might make weekend trips to Vegas with the Dippin' Dots Guy and Lemon Chill Guy, I wouldn't be surprised if this turned out to be true. This is going on the grounds that the 10-year plan was designed to make the park a bit more family friendly than it is at the moment.

2014- FireChaser Express
2015- DreamMore Resort
2016- Add a major restaurant to the park as they really need one. Maybe a large mountain lodge just uphill from FireChaser Express accessed by wide stairs up the mountain.Give it large windows overlooking FireChaser and Wild Eagle.
2017- Add a train station at the top of the train loop that connects to the mountain lodge, allowing people to get from one end of the park to the other via train.
2018- Add a new area behind Showstreet home to a terrain RMC that takes up the Western part of Wild Eagle's mountain. Theme the area like a secret moonshine distillery and theme the RMC trains like moonshining cars.
2019- New show of sorts in the motion theater, maybe add another new show.
2020- Tsunami Soaker (or other water flat ride) in Rivertown Junction, theme the coaches to barrels.
2021- Add a Halloween Haunt event to the park at night. Keep the harvest thing in the older family section of the park, but put the Halloween stuff in the newer enthusiast part of the park. The area has a lot of haunted attractions as it is, but Dollywood throwing their hat into the ring could get them serious dough. They could easily do a haunt themed to lumberjacks by Thunderhead, a haunt themed to werewolves, turn the hill climb back to Thunderhead into a scare zone that builds on the graveyard theming back there, do a few themed to Appalachian ghost stories, I'm sure Mystery Mine has a few backstage areas that could be roped off to create a tie-in haunt.
2022- Add a small Gravity Group Timberliner woodie wrapping around County Fair themed like a classic out-and-back woodie complete with chaser lights and maybe American Flag trains.
2023- Add a small upcharge Sling Shot attraction on the old Timber Tower structure.
2024- Finish the plan out by adding a giant High Roller-esque observation wheel to Showstreet. Paint the wheel itself a light yellow color and put a large butterfly prop on the face in full color that can twinkle with LEDs, and put pastel colored music notes on the white supports. Add a similar lighting package that High Roller has but with LEDs on the spokes and put binoculars in it for the kids and you'd have a great family attraction that gives Dollywood something large at the front of their park that serves as a cynosure for the park. Like Kings Island sells those little Eiffel Towers, Dollywood could sell these little Ferris wheels. Imagine walking up Craftsman's Valley and seeing that thing dominating in front of you! Maybe build it over Middle Creek and have it on a stone foundation with a little arch for the creek to continue through, and have the wheel start and end over a mountain stream. This would give you some gorgeous views of the region in which the park was built and it would be impossible to miss the park driving by.

Epcot - Maelstrom - Needs Live Polar Bears!

Alton Towers. Get rid of Smiler and replace it with an indoor haunt themed log flume ready for when flume is taken out and replaced by a terrain hugging RMC woodie that breaks the record for most inversions on a wooden coaster :--D :--D

Cedar Point is my absolute favorite park, but what it really needs is a top-notch wooden coaster. You would think a park as famous for coasters as Cedar Point would have at least one excellent woodie. Mean Streak just throws you around, and Blue Streak is fun, could probably make my top 40 wood, but the park lacks a superior one. What Cedar Point could do is give Mean Streak the Rocky Mountain Construction treatment, and I think this is very likely as Cedar Fair is yet to build an RCM. Not only should they do that, but also add a fun, solid, GCI woodie like Thunderhead, Lightning Racer, or Shivering Timbers. However Cedar Fair is tight on land, especially Cedar Point, so I'm thinking they could take out Mantis, because that ride doesn't do much for anyone anymore, and place their GCI there. This would make Cedar Point even more fun to visit.

^I previously stated that removing two of the three car rides in the park would give them enough space to put a GCI over by Raptor and the marina entrance. Plenty of room over there, and it could fly over the new marina entrance like GateKeeper or Fury 325. :)