What's new

Near Death Experience at Alton Towers!!!!!!

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Personally I'm OUTRAGED that a ride clearly as unsafe as Air is allowed to operate:

The Sun said:
DOZENS of thrill-seekers were left hanging 80ft in the air yesterday for 14 minutes when a ride broke down at Alton Towers.

They were left in a “Superman-like” flying position as the Air roller-coaster came to a halt at its highest point.

One onlooker said: “It was terrifying. People were just left hanging upside down for ages.

“They looked really frightened. There were people screaming and crying.

“Two members of staff had to go up there and try to calm everyone down. But people were in hysterics.

“It took ages to get the ride going again.

“When the passengers got off they looked really pale and shaken. There certainly wasn’t anyone smiling.

“They re-opened the ride eventually but it put people off going on it. I certainly didn’t fancy it after witnessing that.”

A spokeswoman for the theme park confirmed the ride had broken down.

She said: “The Air ride places people in a flying position, like Superman.

“So when you’re going up the lift hill, you are facing the ground, rather than looking straight ahead. You’re not actually upside down.

“We have very well-rehearsed procedures for any issues with any of the rides and in this particular instance, Air was non-operational for 14 minutes.

“Staff were on hand to talk to guests and the ride didn’t need to be evacuated.

“But we’re of course sorry if any of the guests on board were distressed by the temporary delay.”

Last month almost 40 people had to be cut free from a ride at Chessington World of Adventures, in Surrey, three hours after it had broken down.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...Towers-Air-ride-breaks-down-people-stuck.html

Fourteen whole minutes stuck on the lift hill!!!!!

I hope they all got compensation for the life-altering trauma they had to go through. I for one won't be visiting one of these so-called "amusement" parks again!

Worst thing about getting stuck on a lift hill on a sunny day is having to stare into the sun for 10 or even 15 minutes. So the riders of Air should consider themselves bloody lucky ;)

Obvious slow news day is obvious... :roll:

I like how at the end they still tried to tie a mundane 15 minute breakdown into the incident at Chessington.

This seems bizzare given Smiler broke down for an hour the other day on the vertical lift?

We got stuck for 15 mins on the final brake run once.

We got soaked as it was raining and had to look at all the chewing gum on the floor.

Smithy said:
This seems bizzare given Smiler broke down for an hour the other day on the vertical lift?
The newspaper's line "there certainly wasn't anyone smiling" would work better with that ride.

People were literally threatening to start a mob in guest services today... It was HILARIOUS!

I also spited the woman sitting next to me on Smiler after she told me she had been waiting 2 and a half hours for the ride, to which I replied I had only waited 40 minutes in the single rider queue. :p

I think that I've spent longer than that waiting on Tatsu's brake run waiting for ops to finish checking restraints from the train in the station.

I heard that if you text AIR to 475623 you can send $10 to the victims and their families. Its truly awe-inspiring how generous people are acting in the wake of this disaster.

Bottom_Feeder_13 said:
I think that I've spent longer than that waiting on Tatsu's brake run waiting for ops to finish checking restraints from the train in the station.

Hahahaha...so true!

I visited AT 3 weeks ago, I had the back row & the 1st train of the day, it was returning to the right hand side of the station and got stuck from row 4 onwards, took them 25 mins to free us & we all got a VIP day pass.

The worst place to get stuck on "Air" is either "on your back" section of track or going through the barrel roll.

I had a chat with one of the AT employees while waiting for "Air" to open at 10am, he said most of the wheels on "Air" are a mixture of hard n soft compound.

He also said AT may install something new every year for the next 10 years, there maybe a chance of a woodie to replace the log flume, one of the old car parks will be turned into a new area with coaster installs.

Goes to show how it really depends what kind of guest gets stuck on a ride.

I can see how Air's lift is perhaps more distressing than most, but, like... For god sake.

Sending staff up for something as little as 15 mins is pretty damn good though. Seems Alton did the right thing, it's just an unfortunately collection of guests.

sparky2u said:
The worst place to get stuck on "Air" is either "on your back" section of track or going through the barrel roll.

As it's never happened, I don't think it's a concern for the future ;)

I'll be OUTRAGEd about the the fact it would be though ;)