What's new

"Now Showing"

"Now Showing"

I'm just finding it really boring tbh.

Put it this way I'm posting with the film on that's how bored I am.

Re:

marc said:

Ah right ha ha

Not for everyone then I guess. I saw it at the cinema and absolutely loved it but I'm a massive fan of the marvel franchise as a whole

"Now Showing"

Yeah tbh I did not like any of the films they done until I saw them a second time.

Then I really liked the iron man films.

Re:

marc said:
Yeah tbh I did not like any of the films they done until I saw them a second time.

Then I really liked the iron man films.

It's impossible not to like RDJ lol

I really liked guardians mainly for the introduction of thanos and how they're heading towards the movies intersecting and one big avengers vs thanos like the comics

"Now Showing"

Yeah liked him.

For me all the films are just fight after fight the first time.

When you watch them a second time you see more.

tomahawk said:
Big Hero 6

Good but disappointing. Compared to Wreck it Ralph, it's dog ****. Was hoping for better but I was still entertained. The San Fransicyoko bugged me.

Really? I actually found it a tad better than Wreck it Ralph. The only problem I had with the movie was that it wasn't close to the comic but it really wan't that significant.

^ Wreck it Ralph is best Disney movie in past 15 years.

Mockingjay Part Yawn

If any book didn't need the split, it was Hobbit. Then this. SNOOZE FEST! Nothing happens, just all lead up to the next one. Boring and was wishing I had that time back.

Re: "Now Showing"

I'm pretty sure it was done on purpose, but Philip Seymour Hoffman's last words in his last movie were "I'm optimistic".

The movie was eh. Part 2 will be much better.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

Re: Re:

mcgoughchris said:
marc said:

Ah right ha ha

Not for everyone then I guess. I saw it at the cinema and absolutely loved it but I'm a massive fan of the marvel franchise as a whole

On a film by film basis, I find them hit and miss. I've never rated the Iron Man films (the first was great at the cinema, but I found it tedious on second watching, two and three I found just a bit crap), The Avengers was "okay", I liked the two Thor films and found the Captain Americas good action flicks too.

I really enjoyed GotG at the cinema though. It's just a no-brains action film with some decent humour to break it up.

My problem though is that because they're all action, every film then has to out-do the previous ones in terms of how big and ridiculous the fights have to be. If they don't, then the films get labelled as being slow and dull. They're essentially painting themselves into a corner. That's why I prefer some of them where the characters have a bit more to them (Loki in Thor for example I think is superb).

For me though, it's not about the individual films, it's about the way they're all linked together in a fantastic, massive, plan. Agents of Shield tends to be mostly poor, but as part of the whole thing it adds in a vital element. I think it's very clever, very brave and very compelling. If you look at the thing as a book and each film/series is a chapter then it's great as a whole, even though some chapters may be worse than others.

When you then compare it to the DC world - who are now trying the same thing - it's sparkling. I find that on a film by film-series by series view that I enjoy them more. They're generally insular though. I enjoy Arrow (and The Flash is okay), but they're the only two that link. The new DC films will ignore the series. Gotham is great, but it's never going to become part of the new DC film canon. Okay, the films are going to link, but I don't get the feeling it's going to be quite to the same epic scale Marvel are working on. We'll see I guess...

Anyway, I watched the most depressing, bleak film ever last night The Rover. It's a guy (literally a Guy :p ) who has his car stolen in a post economic crash Australia. He then goes across the deserts of an Australia where society has broken down to get his car back.

It's very slow (but not quite good enough in terms of cinematography to justify it and it's not clever like No Country For Old Men), then it just gets gradually bleaker and bleaker as "stuff happens".

It never really gets exciting, but there are some great tense moments. I'm glad people are making films that are away from the norm, it's just a shame that in this case it falls a little bit short. Worth a watch if you ever want to despair for humanity! 7/10

"Now Showing"

Yeah Furie I like all the link in to each other as well.

The Thor films I really enjoyed yet a lot of marvel fans don't like them.

Captain America 2 I thought was rubbish, too long and drawn out. Yet I liked the first one.

Avengers had grown on me and the 2nd one looks great, but it's as clear as day what the main robot is and when you see who is doing the voice.

Guardians I did not even find funny apart from the dancing tree at the end. As said the effects were some of the best I've seen and I'm hopeful for Star Wars now.

Dc tend to go for character development so you don't need to know the comics, marvel expect you to have read the comics and know who is who and what they do.

Dc is more grown up, marvel is more how many toys can they sell.

Re:

marc said:
Yeah Furie I like all the link in to each other as well.

The Thor films I really enjoyed yet a lot of marvel fans don't like them.

Captain America 2 I thought was rubbish, too long and drawn out. Yet I liked the first one.

Avengers had grown on me and the 2nd one looks great, but it's as clear as day what the main robot is and when you see who is doing the voice.

Guardians I did not even find funny apart from the dancing tree at the end. As said the effects were some of the best I've seen and I'm hopeful for Star Wars now.

Dc tend to go for character development so you don't need to know the comics, marvel expect you to have read the comics and know who is who and what they do.

Dc is more grown up, marvel is more how many toys can they sell.

DC is trash at the minute.

Man of steel was the most drawn out rubbish I've seen. The character development made me hate superman.

Also the fact that they're solely building this series of movies to rush to compete with marvel means that they'll make a batman film so close to the dark knight trilogy that 99 percent of the audience is going to be disappointed.

Plus the DC casting so far has been pretty bad. One thing with the MCU is that they always seem to cast well.

Henry Cavill just looks like superman, he's a terrible actor. Affleck as batman, Jesse eisenberg as Luthor? Jeremy Irons as Alfred? Seems very odd to me.

Plus the main problem is that they're expecting the audience to believe that batman can hold up with superman? After Man of steel superman has been built up as a character that has every single power and infinite amounts of strength. New universe batman has had no build up at all so I'm just expecting it to go back to the days where he's got an kryptonite powered gun on his utility belt

mcgoughchris said:

I don't think you can say that based on one film? Until they've released more, we just don't know. Arrow and Gotham though I think are much better than Agents of Shield. It's a shame that they're disconnected.

mcgoughchris said:
Man of steel was the most drawn out rubbish I've seen. The character development made me hate superman.

I thought it was okay. It has some great moments and I loved the design and scale of the film. However, it suffered badly from "every battle has to go bigger" syndrome until it got silly. I watched it with Max-Minor_Furie who I use as my yardstick for keeping measure on films. With a nine year old, you know if a film is slow or not hitting the right spots. He also thought it was "okay" :)

mcgoughchris said:
Also the fact that they're solely building this series of movies to rush to compete with marvel means that they'll make a batman film so close to the dark knight trilogy that 99 percent of the audience is going to be disappointed.

Absolutely agree though. It's a definite case of "wannabe". They want a slice of the super hero pie and they have rushed into it not only to compete with Marvel, but to try and play their own game too. The difference is that Marvel have a very clear line of comics to follow the story with. They can use them as a base as it's already been written down - they're just tweaking it for a visual audience.

mcgoughchris said:
Plus the DC casting so far has been pretty bad. One thing with the MCU is that they always seem to cast well.

Henry Cavill just looks like superman, he's a terrible actor. Affleck as batman, Jesse eisenberg as Luthor? Jeremy Irons as Alfred? Seems very odd to me.

To be fair, I do agree. However, you never know - it may work.

mcgoughchris said:
Plus the main problem is that they're expecting the audience to believe that batman can hold up with superman? After Man of steel superman has been built up as a character that has every single power and infinite amounts of strength. New universe batman has had no build up at all so I'm just expecting it to go back to the days where he's got an kryptonite powered gun on his utility belt

I'm not entirely sure what to expect and if I keep it that way it may surprise me :lol: Don't get me wrong, I have exactly the same reservations as you, I just don't want to pre-judge and potentially ruin it for myself. I'll have my young film buddy with me to keep me in the real world anyway ;)

"Now Showing"

I don't like the direction dc are now going, they are going the marvel route and I don't think they can pull it off. Next film will have superman, batman, wonder Women, lex and dooms day. It's too much.

I'm not trashing marvel I think they make good action films.

I know it's all split up all over the place but the new spider man films are good, not so much the latest one as they had too many characters and it felt rushed

X men is brilliant the latest film was just perfect.

I'm not a comic fan and from an outsider guardians just had no character development at all. I just felt lost and and it lost my interest. Same happened the first time I saw Iron Man.

Captain America had more but the 2nd film just dragged on.

Thor liked both films.

I enjoyed superman but liked the one years ago as well. My only problem was they should have built up rather than kill his main rival in the 1st film.

furie said:
mcgoughchris said:

I don't think you can say that based on one film? Until they've released more, we just don't know. Arrow and Gotham though I think are much better than Agents of Shield. It's a shame that they're disconnected.

mcgoughchris said:

I thought it was okay. It has some great moments and I loved the design and scale of the film. However, it suffered badly from "every battle has to go bigger" syndrome until it got silly. I watched it with Max-Minor_Furie who I use as my yardstick for keeping measure on films. With a nine year old, you know if a film is slow or not hitting the right spots. He also thought it was "okay" :)

mcgoughchris said:

Absolutely agree though. It's a definite case of "wannabe". They want a slice of the super hero pie and they have rushed into it not only to compete with Marvel, but to try and play their own game too. The difference is that Marvel have a very clear line of comics to follow the story with. They can use them as a base as it's already been written down - they're just tweaking it for a visual audience.

mcgoughchris said:

To be fair, I do agree. However, you never know - it may work.

mcgoughchris said:

I'm not entirely sure what to expect and if I keep it that way it may surprise me :lol: Don't get me wrong, I have exactly the same reservations as you, I just don't want to pre-judge and potentially ruin it for myself. I'll have my young film buddy with me to keep me in the real world anyway ;)

I love how well written you bring your points across.

I'm at work so can't have a full blown discussion but just quickly saying that it's not just the one movie I'm basing it on.

Most of DC's characters have lost credibility in my opinion

If you take the justice league alone.

The flash has currently on a TV show.

Batman had to be stripped back by Nolan to the point where it could barely be classed as a superhero movie.

Green lantern has been annihilated. They need to completely scrap Hal Jordan and go with John Stewart to disassociate the character from that movie.

Then superman is superman. He only reason you'd ever need the other characters in the justice league is if the bad guy had kryptonite... effectively making every other character useless anyway

Manhunter could be interesting though

Another huge issue though is that other than the batman villains and lex Luthor there's very few interesting DC villains. Not to mention that this DC series has got a feel of Marvel did it first about it.

If I had 50 pounds to take my family to see IMAX avengers 2 or batman vs superman I'd choose avengers. Similarly if I had the choice between an infinity wars movie, in which the avengers all get together to stop thanos, or a justice league movie I'm afraid I'd go for the avengers again. So much time invested on story and character development.

Thing is, the Justice League film is a complete refresh. The Flash TV show isn't linked, DC have written off the Green Lantern film as "never existed" and Green Arrow also isn't linked. The Nolan Batman is also getting written off as not part of this canon. So it's a complete reboot of the entire thing - even though lots of the stuff is new or is actually contracted to run concurrently.

Like you and Marc, this really concerns me as it's not at all planned properly, just chucked together. I think they're seeing it as a chance for a clean slate... Only it isn't really is it? :lol:

Beyond Batman, I don't know anything about the DC universe. It's never interested me as by the time I'd grown out of Marvel comics, I was then interested in the darker adult comic world - so it passed me by. So I'm interested/curious because I've always loved Batman (I grew up with the Adam West series and cartoons, saw Burton's reboot at the cinema and loved it, etc.), I used to love Wonder Woman on the TV and other than Star Wars, the Christopher Reeve Superman films (saw them all at the cinema on initial release) were may favourite films for ages. So I'm kind of a fan of the universe in it's visual format, but know nothing of the extended universe or comics (okay, I've read a handful of Batman comics).

I prefer the darker tone of DC and the more complex characters they seem to represent. You're right though, the Marvel film you know exactly what you're getting. DC, it's a complete unknown - until they're done though, I have to reserve judgement.

"Now Showing"

Furie that's the same with me.

I grow up with west as batman, wonder women, the hulk, Spider-Man and superman all on tv as made for tv.

This is why I find it hard to get my head round some of it as it's totally different now.

I am worried about the direction dc are taking as it's too soon after the Nolan films to write them off. Far to many people have seen them and will expect the same type of thing.

Penguins of Madagascar

I love being home and parents paying for movies, so nice. My wife, sister, and mother all went shopping tonight, so I took my niece and nephew to a movie. Great excuse as I wanted to see it, but was not expecting much. Pretty late showing for a kids film, and it was very empty.

Absolutely loved it and laughed my ass off the entire time. Plenty of adult humor, kid humor, sexual innuendos, and fart jokes. Plus you have the cutesy message involved. The penguins were the best part of the Madagascar films, and the writers did a fantastic job with this movie.

It goes in line with my feeling of Pixar being unable to wipe the ass of Dreamworks animation. Yeah, there are some bad ones, but overall, the quality is so much better.

Re: "Now Showing"

^ I agree, the penguins are the best part of the movies. I've been really skeptical with this movie considering that the 3rd Madagascar ruined it for me. DreamWorks always finds a way to sneak a bit of adult humor in all their films, especially Shrek. Now, I have good hopes for this film.

Mockingjay Part I

Yeah wasn't great. A lot different from the first two, with a lot less action and nothing really going on. It could've been a lot better if there was actually more stuff going on in the first half (or just make it one longer movie). As it's been already said the "two part" thing just ruined it, and the next part should be a lot better, as there's actually some action that goes on in the second half of the book. The previous two films were a lot better.

Paddington

Loved this film from beginning to end. The beginning was almost too similar to Up but the animation throughout was excellent the cast were amazing and the script was very well written. I was amused and thoroughly entertained. The screening I went to was full of kids and all of them were quiet the whole time! Pretty sure it was a miracle, the film made them all laugh and there was a very audible gasp towards the end which added to my experience of seeing it. When it was first announced I thought it was going to be awful, I was so wrong.

Mr Turner

This film features an incredible performance by Timothy Spall and the cinematography is outstanding. However there was something about it which was a little dull and I can't quite put my finger on it. Still it is an extremely well made film and I wouldn't be surprised if we see it at least nominated for a few awards in the new year.