What's new

Overly trimmed Coasters

spacebum

Roller Poster
What coasters are the worst offenders for being trimmed to death. Or that has alot of breaking zones before the station.

I know that the Big One is a bit of harsh trimmer at times.

Silver Star had a reputation as being trimmed on the hills previously, but the only one I've ever felt as being on was the mcbr trim.

Thirteen's trim destroys the first half of the ride, apparently this is needed to stop the timing issues which was resulting in all the estops on the 2nd lift I believe. If I'm right then Intamin should have designed it better.

A lot of others may disagree but I really dislike the trims/slows on the larger dive machines with 2 drops, Sheikra and Griffon, as not only would there be some killer ejector on the 2nd drop but the rest of the ride wouldn't be such a slow snoozefest.

There will probably be a few Voyage lovers popping in regarding the stop on the mcbr as well.

Raging Bull. It only has 2 trims, with only 1 really affecting the ride. If the first one would be on, it'd make for a much better ride.

Thunderhawk's bunny hills:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5MhEuKZ6gA[/youtube]

And that damn first drop trim on Mean Streak:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPQ4AusAgqU[/youtube]

CanobieFan said:
I'm pretty sure Beast at Kings Island is nothing but trims....

Fact. Thats why it's only good at night. It's worthless during the day.

The utter disgrace that is the defacement of a wonderful coaster like Voyage. Back in 2015 it should absolutely haul **** back down the hill, growing in aggression as it lost elevation and that triple down would absolutely chuck you in the back. Now, it's still insane, but the first dip of the triple down is worthless and I can almost survive three rides on it now. :p Honestly, had they not buffed that mid course it probably wouldn't have lost my number one spot to Fury. :?

Th13teen immediately springs to mind. The first drop is just totally ruined by the trim; it almost feels as though someone is trying to pull the train back it's that noticeable.

Gutted that I couldn't have tried it out before the trims were added, as it would have made the outside the section so, so much better.

I was going to mention 13 too - when were the trims added?

Also - there's I305 (at least on uslive in 2012)

Hopefully the trim guys will get nowhere near Skyrush!

^I do know there are trims on SkyRush, though they just barely shave a fraction of a single mile an hour. It was to keep the max speed within the envelope of the marketed speed(though I'd say the faster the better. :p ). But in the context of trimming off to the point of a crawl isn't likely, as the main brakes used appear to be tiny magnets.

^^The trims currently on Skyrush are so small you hardly know they are there, so they would need to install new trims if they wanted to kill the pacing.

caffeine_demon said:
I was going to mention 13 too - when were the trims added?

I think they were added in about June/July 2010; I seem to remember the ride having a lot of downtime just before the summer whilst they added them in.

Rutschebanen at Bakken with the modern breaks and trims instead of a brakeman seems like it has neutered the ride. I never got to ride it with brakeman, but the curent ride has pretty much zero airtime as a result.
I agree Raging Bull's trim on the first airtime hill is pretty disappointing.

Also I wonder what the Nickelodeon streak would be like at BPB without the trims on every hill - I reckon it could deliver some nice airtime.

Did nic streak have trims on before the retheme ?

If not then it was if i remember right a mid range with air time. Though I found it depended on where you sat and when you rode and the weather conditions. Some times good some bad.

Nick Streak doesn't have any trims apart from just before the final corner.

Thirteen's main coaster section is completely ruined by the trims IMO.

TH13TEEN is ridiculous, you actually get pushed forward into the restraint! I don't know why they didn't just make it a bit shorter and not bother? It's news to me that they were added later, always thought they were there from the start.

Formula Rossa deserves a mention, but you're still going like 100mph after it so it's not as bad.

The first time I did Silver Star I didn't notice them, but later in the day the second trim definitely stood out.

I wouldn't count MCBRs as I expect them to slow you down a bit.

The woodie at Bakken was awful as well - absolutely pants, gutted I never rode it before it was ruined as the one at Tivoli was fab.

Oh and Big Apples <3.

The trims on Th13teen were there when it opened, the only people that I know of in the public that rode it without are the competition winners - and it was apparently great.

But yeah Formula Rossa must have one of the biggest speed reductions from and trims, it's needed though.

But yeah Bakken's Scenic is the worst.