What's new

Parks without coasters

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Mysterious Sue's topic about listed rides made me realise how many parks there are in the county that I've yet to visit mainly because they don't have a roller coaster.

For me, a roller coaster (or several) defines a park and it means I can increase my coaster count. I wouldn't want to spend £10-£20 entering a park without riding a coaster, regardless of other rides.

Do you think a roller coaster is the biggest draw to a theme park? Would you visit a theme park if it didn't have a coaster and why? Have you been to a coasterless park and enjoyed it?

I wouldn't go to a park without a coaster. For the most part I'll visit a park for a coaster, and ride the flats on the side. If a park is all flat rides than I dont think it's worth the money.

If you count fairs though, i've been to a couple crappy fairs without a coaster yet still enjoyed myself.

I've been to parks with coasters, not been on the coasters and enjoyed them... Though that's not quite the question really is it, but it's an interesting aside :)

The answer for me though is yes I guess. I often nip to these odd places with the family_furie while we're out and about. However, it's a difficult thing to define. The "Shire Horse Centre" outside of Newquay, Wales is allegedly primarily a place about carthorses. However, once inside it's all rides and trampolines and things. Likewise "Wonderland" in Telford has a lot of rides, and it IS in essence a Theme Park. I wouldn't enjoy them without the family though.

A park like Twin Lakes though I enjoy everything BUT the coasters, and couldn't care less if they were there or not.

It's a difficult one really, and it's where you sit in the whole "park" thing?

I always decide whether a park is worth going to (or not) based on the amount and quality of the coasters. However distance has to be factored into it as well.

I can't think of anything more pointless than a park without coasters. It's like a hooker without a ****.

I wouldn't go to one. I'm not really a big one for flat-rides, even though there are some that I really enjoy. I'd rather have at least a coaster or two in the park as a 'pull-factor'.

To be honest though, there are plenty of great parks with great coasters that I've yet to visit. I'm sure I'll always be able to find a park/coaster that can go to.

A hooker without a hook surely cool)

I wouldn't go to one on my own inclination, but I sure as hell wouldn't turn it down if I got invited by friends/family. Of course we all prefer parks with coasters, but then (and just a guess here) we may all be a bit bias.

I still enjoy many of the flats, and still go on them even if I don't enjoy them that much. It's against my religion to sit out a ride (as you may have noticed at the lives).

divvie_dave said:
Its like a hooker without a what?! I have no idea what your into, and that could be anything...

Without a Centralised Unitary Negotiation Treaty...

Which Ben has no use for either, so it rather negates his point... ;)

Oh, just remembered, the family had a great time at Butlins Minehead on the fair there. It's simple, but free and fun. No coaster at all :)

For a fair or small park I don't mind. Our local fairs only have cheap flat rides like Rock 'o' Planes, Ferris Wheels and a Paratrooper.

It would seem wierd though for a Theme Park as Coasters are like the centre-piece of the park. They almost seem to set the division between Fair Grounds and Amusement/Theme Parks if that makes sense? Picture any park without their coasters and they all look like fancy fairs rather than parks.

Futuroscope doesn't really have a coaster (well, it has one of those Butterfly coasters, but it was closed when I went and I didn't even know it existed anyway), and that was a pretty decent day out when I went a few years ago with Peep and Patrick (despite getting motion sick on pretty much EVERYTHING there! :p).

Lots of motion simulators, a room of Robocoasters, a decent looking Splash Battle (which was also closed when we went) and lots of other things to do. Highly recommended.

Disney's Epcot also doesn't have any coasters, and that's good as well!

So, no, a park doesn't necessarily have to have a coaster to be good, but in most cases it helps!

Ohh I went to Futurscope for an A-level physics trip when CERN was closed. Not bad actually, but then its niche and doesn't have normal flats, but lots of weird 3D stuff from what I remember

I don't think I ever have, and I doubt I ever will do. I suppose being a rollercoaster enthusiast means I probables won't visit a theme park if there isn't a cred to be had.

Perhaps when I have kids I may go to one, you know, for the kids...

Dude Epcot has test track which while it might not be a coaster is pretty close. Actually now that I think of it Epcot doesn't really have to many rides at all.

A park without A roller coaster would indeed suck. I don't foresee mine person visiting any of the listed coaster-less parks anytime soon, due to the fact that they are infact, coaster-less.

I haven't a care for what size it is, IT HAS TO HAVE A COASTER, at least one that I can fit in and won't cause a roll-back :p

it would depend on a combination of other rides and location. If a par appeared within, say fifty miles of me with a couple of nice flats - I'd probably go, but I wouldn't travel 200+ miles for it.

However - a ride like test track, tower of terror or spiderman would be worth traveling for.

conversely - if a big apple or go gator opened opposite me, I wouldn't be rushing there for the credit

You can definitely have fun at a park without coasters. Sorry to sound like a broken record/advert but I've been to the Kent Diggerland (in both is previous carpark-based incarnation, and its current purpose built site) a few times and really enjoyed it. That said, I've always had other reasons for being there, and have never actually paid for it. Would I pay to go back? No. Would I pay to go back if they got a coaster? Yes (even though it'd probably be something they knocked together themselves in their workshop and would blates be a deathtrap! <3) So I guess that answers the question. (for what its worth, I do keep suggesting that they get one....)