What's new

Raising Tuition Fees

Should Tuition Fees Be Raised?

• Yes, bring a higher quality of education

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, it'll ruin campus culture forever and make people think twice about University

• Not particuarly bothered, already graduated/not thinking about it

• Total voters

Dave

CF Legend
This has become the new touchy subject amongst students.

The government have drawn up plans to change the minimum tuition fee to raise from £3.2k a year to around double that of £5-7k and options to increase it to a maximum of £20k per year. This is called for from Universities to 'improve the quality of teaching' and has also had calls from students to demand if this increase happens is to find out where this money goes (I know I would want to know)

Also following these stories is that the campus life of university has totally changed, with more people living at home with parents throughout their degree, taking up one of two jobs just to stay afloat, and people just generally just going to classes and staying in and working, because its simply not enough money to last a term with such high accommodation fees, food, transport etc..
A survey from Swansea University found that during the cold winter snap students lost £20 a day because of cancelled lessons, with some classes cancelled for nearly 2 weeks at the university the students lost £200 on no education which has calls for lessons that are cancelled to be refunded or deducted from the tuition fees.

What do you think of the new rise?
I'm firmly against it, it'll cause a rapid decline in the amount of people wanting to go to university and to get people in high rise jobs, which is kinda what the country needs....

Not really bothered, since I don't go to a University in the UK. The only thing we pay to go to out university is the fee for a student union at the University where we want to study, and it's about £40 a year :)

I already can't afford university as it is....

It's an absoloute joke....

They are pricing people out of their education....

It's going back to how it was...

That's the thing I dislike about Uni is the cost.
It puts most students in debt before they've even left education.

Which is why I'm still undecided if I'm going to Uni or not after College.

I can see why they would want to raise the fees also considering the world financial situation and what not. I was thinking on applying to the UK, but the deadline came to soon, (well I would've made it, but the required English tests are only held like every 6 week), Anyway, say that they raise it to around the double I wouldn't have even considered it, and most importantly I think others might be put off the idea of going to uni as well.

loefet said:
The only thing we pay to go to out university is the fee for a student union at the University where we want to study, and it's about £40 a year Smile
Amen to that, as far as I know it's the same in Denmark and Norway, Scandinavia <3.

However, one thing I don't like is that there is a big increase in students from abroad, coming to study in Finland as the education is free. Sometimes they've taken Finnish students places, so to say, that's wrong imo. Also we could charge something like 200€/year for foreigners which I'm sure almost all could pay. Sorry if I went a bit off-topic.

Ours already has been!

The government or whoever had the choice to raise them anywhere between 1%-8%, and guess what they chose? They decided to pick the highest possible, at an 8% increase, so that sucks.

Right now, I'm going to a community college. I had gotten 2 scholarships that covered tuition and some books. Now, I can't use one of them and might not be able to go bad to college again.

...and it's only $3,000 a year...

The cheapest college after this is around $25,000 a year. Not including books, rents, food, internet, supplies, ect. It's too expensive as is, which is making most people not do it, therefore they have to relay on minimum wage jobs that are already full. I've been wanting to make sure I'm in a better boat then my siblings are, who never had college (Except Jon, and he's doing alright).

The same thing is happening over here with rising tuition fees. When I went to college around 2000 - 2002 my fees were about €300 for the year on my course but now they are probably well over €1000 for the same course. The EU covered most of the cost but I think the colleges make most of their money from students outside the EU who have to pay full fees.

In the UK it might have to go the same route as the US were parents will start saving for their childs education very young and build the money up over time.

I don't know people don't just do a trade instead. You will be getting paid while training and you would probably end up in a much better job than someone who went to uni.

I don't really care... even if they were £10,000 a year i'd still be at uni. You can't put a price on the experience IMO.

They should not be raised. They'll just put more people off.

I'm definitely doing to Uni, regardless of the cost. I won't be put off as I know how much it means, but I know of people that will be put off by the higher prices.

At least it's less that what we pay at the moment. ;)

Is it still all loan based?

If so, balls to it. Only a small percentage of students ever earn enough to pay it back anyway. Let's face it Dave, with your degree, you're either going to be turning over a small amount in a studio in Pompy at Max Speilman, or you're going to be earning millions as a professional artistic photographer.

Either well under or well under the £25k+ you need to earn before you have to start repaying.

I was working five years before I started earning enough to pay back, and at one point, the pay back amount inflated more than my pay - so I almost ended up back under the amount required again. Then again, I only had about £10,000 of student loans which is all paid off now.

Madame_Furie has more and she's never going to pay them back (despite having a first class honours computing degree :lol: ).

Erm, I think that if it's justified, then they should be raised - as long as the students are seeing the benefit. They should have a student council though that keep s an eye on the figures and the way the university is run - much like a PTA. So if they feel students are being ripped off, or teaching levels too low - they should be allowed to ask for an inspection.

After all, you're all adults and should be allowed to have a direct say in the way your education is run if you're paying for it.

This is a sure fire way to raise our national debt even more, and people who go to uni are already in debt for years after uni now there going to be in debt for the rest of there lives trying to pay back, the government want to improve the economy why don't they give Uni's a cash injection like they did with the banks, that way they can improve the quality of teaching and reduce tuition fees so more people can go to uni get degrees and high paying jobs, slowing the growth in national debt and gaining some popularity from the public which I government lost ages ago.

Well there is the (based on my loan) which is £4,800 a year and mounts to £14,400 for the entire degree. On top of this is the tuition fee matinence loan which is £3152 per year which mounts to £9456 in the three years, so adding it together makes it £17,552 to pay back after I leave university.

If tuition fees were raise I'm not sure the tuition matinence loan will cover the rapid rise in this.

furie said:
After all, you're all adults and should be allowed to have a direct say in the way your education is run if you're paying for it.

Not according to some bellend they interviewed. If I recall correctly, he was bitching about how students see themselves more as consumers, because they're paying for a service etc... But then it's a valid point. We ARE consumers. We're paying for a service, and if I were to pay 3k a year for a service, it bloody well better be a top notch one.

3k a year at the moment is ****ing disgraceful, if we were to talk about value for money. Maybe that's just the case with my uni, but it's beyond ridiculous. How on Earth they could justify these changes if they were to raise the fee would be interesting to watch, and I'm sure other people feel the same about the quality of teaching they currently receive. Well. Don't receive. As I'm just told to go look at books rather than actually be taught. I'm paying 3k a year for a poorly stocked library ffs.

I'm paying £3k a year to fund the universities other campus, so they can underfund my campus. Also paying my useless smock wearing monotoned bitch of a History of Art teacher who teaches us **** all!

I'm not too bothered by £3000 a year, because I feel like I get my money's worth. I don't want to sound like an arse, but, I go to a top ten University, in the country's leading department for my speciality. Because of this, I get the finest teaching quality (people who have written libraries of work by themselves, you'll see them on television and in papers if you know where to look!), finest libraries (as I said, for my speciality you won't find a better library in the country, maybe the world!). So, I can't agree that £3000 is too much for me, for me, I feel it's worth every penny of it.

HOWEVER, £10000 is ridiculous. I'd still blatantly pay it though. You'd never pay it back, so :p

And Phil, I'm sure the figure is £17k a year before you have to start paying back, not £25k?

Well yeah of course I'd like it to be low, as hopefully I'll end up in London (if i get my grades next year come August) and living there will be dear enough as it is.

But I'd pay quite a large amount like most here to go to uni, partly for the experience and partly because I wanna learn more about History!