What's new

Raptor - B&M 'Wing-Rider' - Gardaland

I think he's referring to the colour...

They're both a charcoal colour. I'm looking forward to seeing construction of this baby!!

^^It is indeed a little bit strange to have two new B&M's the same year with the exact same color scheme. Maybe they sent some pieces to the wrong address...? :p

I know. To me it could just say they they both follow a similar theme. Run down/grungy type of theme to them?

Or the fact that the parks are both owned by Merlin has to do with it? Look at what Cedar Fair just did and what Six Flags has been doing for years. Even Busch does the same general thing.

Yes but difference is that each park has their own art department that works individually with the rides. Hence why Alton Towers has awesome themeing, so does Chessie in areas. Where as Thorpe, dosen't really.

NewsPlusNotes said:
Gardaland, located in Italy, has announced X-Raptor - a new B&M prototype coaster to be added to the theme park in 2011.

As made clear by the art above, the coaster will be similar in design to Intamin's Wing Rider design, where riders sit in pairs of two on 'wings' with no track above or below them. The B&M prototype of a similar ride has been rumored for some time now, but Gardaland has confirmed they will receive the first installation.

X-Raptor will feature some interesting elements. The station will be underground, and the lift will top out at about 98 feet. The coaster will have 2,624 feet of track, and will feature two zero-g spins. The path will also have 90 degree banks, and will be close to the ground and water to enhance the sensation of speed.
I neither know of this has been posted before, nor do I know if it's a reliable source. But if it's true, then it's confirmed that X-Raptor will have a lift hill and not be launched. Further interesting information is that the station will be underground much like Black Mamba.

A few more close ups:

p30077.jpg

p30078.jpg

p30079.jpg

Hell yeah, I live in Milan, so Gardaland is 2 hours of train away from me. Finally it gets something new, i was bored of the old Blue Tornado and Magic Mountain, lol.

Ok, may not be as exciting as the track photos above, but the first stone was laid for the coaster yesterday (Monday)...

garda1small.JPG

And more interestingly, the theme and story of the ride deepends... A giant "egg" has been discovered and is now undergoing tests...
garda2small.JPG

Full Press Release:
First stone of the new breathtaking attraction for 2011 being placed yesterday at Gardaland: The most extreme and imposing rollercoaster ever to be built in Italy boasting already record-breaking “figures”

An important event took place yesterday at Gardaland where the first stone of the new incredible attraction, to be inaugurated in season 2011, has been placed. The landmark, with its strong significance value, was placed in the middle of the building site by the Amministratore Delegato (CEO) Aldo Maria Vigevani and by the Direttore Generale Parchi (GM of Parks), Danilo Santi.

And it is precisely on this spot that the most imposing and extreme rollercoaster ever to be built in an Italian amusement park will see the light, for what is going to be one of the most adrenaline-filled tracks in the world.

The area dedicated to the new attraction boasts already record-breaking figures: the surface involved will be of over 16 thousand square metres, equivalent to 60 tennis courts. To carry out the demolition of existing buildings and to level out the ground, over 3 thousand hours of self-propelled mechanic machines have been utilised. Very soon over 200 anchorages will be fixed to the soil, nailing to the ground this super structure which will arrive in Gardaland, directly from the United States, transported in more than 80 gigantic containers shipped via sea.

Visitors and fans of the Park are already abuzz due to the air of mystery surrounding the new attraction. Apparently mysterious physical anomalies have been spotted within the building site: temperature variations, unusual magnetic fields, alterations of the environmental radioactivity... It looks like, in other words, something unexplainable is moving in the centre of earth. For this reason a task-force, equipped with the most advanced technologies available on the planet, has been deployed, along with its own scientific base positioned inside the Park, busy sampling and measuring everything, including some very puzzled visitors.

Only a few hours ago a mysterious egg of enormous proportions was found; thorough test are currently being carried out to establish if this finding can be put in relation to the strange environmental phenomena. The egg appears to belong to a gigantic creature, definitely much bigger than any creature whose existence has been proven.

A surveillance webcam is already active at www.gardaland.it, allowing online visitors to monitor periodically the building site area and keep track of how works are progressing. Also to be found online the countdown marking the time left before the inauguration of this highly anticipated rollercoaster, something people are already talking about.

Right, just back from Gardaland and I feel any plans I had as a journalist should be cut short, as I only managed to get to the site of x-raptor after dark due mainly to theme park hating friends dragging feet :(
(although they did let me get all my creds so I guess I can forgive them).

The site looks v. Jurassic Park, quite exciting with loads of dense jungle-like trees. Should be good if the coaster ends up winding through it to some extent.

Couldn't see any of the track by then through the fence, but I did take some pictures of the hype they are trying to make outside the main entrance. Apologies as it's dark and my camera is crap, so I'll only put up photos of things I haven't seen already on Screamscape.

IMAG0739.jpg

Geography is not Gardaland's best quality:

IMAG0746.jpg

IMAG0747.jpg

And in Italian...

IMAG0748.jpg

IMAG0750.jpg

This translates roughly as:

This is the site of a new attraction 2011:
The most important and extreme roller coaster in of Italy
Attention: mysterious phenomena have been found

...although the direct translation of 'montagne russe' from Babel fish is 'Russian mountains', I’m kinda guessing it means roller coaster :--D

Sue Shaw said:
This translates roughly as:

This is the site of a new attraction 2011:
The most important and extreme roller coaster in of Italy
Attention: mysterious phenomena have been found

...although the direct translation of 'montagne russe' from Babel fish is 'Russian mountains', I’m kinda guessing it means roller coaster :--D

Yes, Montagne Russe means roller coaster.

The exact translation is : This is the entrance of the building site of the new 2011 attraction
The biggest and most extreme roller coaster in italy

And the last one is how you said it :)

^^ Thanks very much for the proper translation! :--D

^Wow fact of the day! How amazing. Know what I'm going to be researching for the rest of the day :roll:

This looks so sick, I wish I could go to Italy next year just to ride this...and iSpeed doesnt look too bad either.

^iSpeed is nothing compared to Katun. Now that coaster would be worth the trip over the atlantic ocean itself!