What's new

Reprofiled Steel Coasters

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
After remembering Volcano's refurbishment that apparently never happened, I started to think about other roller coasters getting refurbished and reprofiled. We know that it's commonplace for wooden coasters to get retracked and reprofiled, but what steel coasters undergo this maintenance practice?

I remember seeing a post on here about the SLC in Heide Park getting a track refurbishment.

Anaconda at Kings Dominion got some track work in its figure 8 section during the off season, which didn't help at all.

That's really all I can come up with that involves the track, I don't really think the trains qualify for a "refurbishment" but if they're counted SooperDooperLooper is the first on the list.

I305's first turn, Magnum's second air hill had a slight reprofile so the transition between negative and positive force wasn't so abrupt, Steel Phantom/Phantom's Revenge for obvious reasons and Zonga was butchered when they raised the bottom of the drop by 15 feet.

Bottom_Feeder_13 said:
Magnum's second air hill had a slight reprofile so the transition between negative and positive force wasn't so abrupt

So you're telling me the second hill was worse than the bunny hills in the tunnels?

The unmentioned ones that stick out for me are Texas Tornado at Wonderland

hq5ca9s740fs000ios72s8.jpg

The reprofiling is obvious there :p

And Drachen Fire at Busch Gardens Williamsburg where they removed the corkscrew here
bushdra.jpg

And an after shot
22318171.jpg

FaceYourNemesis said:
rollermonkey said:
The Big One's first drop.

Over and over and over again.

Yep, and I believe the turnaround was also reprofiled at one point, due to severe banking?

That turn used to be absolutely terrifying. You would hang out like nothing on earth. The first drop used to be unreal too, so scary. It's far too tame these days :p

Was writing the Jubilee Odyssey page yesterday [/plug] and remembered that had major reprofiling in the closed season at the end of the first year. Lots of the ride was lowered as the train couldn't make it through the circuit... and that's changed how? ;)

V2: Vertical Velocity was modified in 2002 to meet the city's 150 ft. height ordinance. The result was a front spike at a 45 degree angle and a back spike that was lowered from 186 ft. to 150 ft.

vfiles35378.jpg

Don't start that argument again or I'll have to get "the diagram" out :p

*shudder* The Diagram... *shudder*