What's new

Shanghai, China | Shanghai Disneyland | Theme Park

Re: Disneyland Shanghai China

^I think the most interesting part of that article is about how much Disney will be involved and the co-operation between them and the Chinese company. If only that was how Paris was run.

Anyway the more we learn about this park the more I feel this could be one of the best Disney parks. That castle just looks amazing and I love the sound of it being 'interactive'. This is definitely a project I'll be following.

Could not agree with you more Peep, maybe soon as well they will step in more with DLP and sort things out better.

I still think the park might be lacking in rides when it opens, but I have a feeling it will be the best looking park taking that title away from Paris.

The plans certainly suggest that the park is going to be stunning. Usually Disney are pretty good when it comes to transferring the concept designs into real life and I daresay this will be no exception.

I am glad to see that Disney are possibly (since it was not confirmed) keeping a large stake in the operating and management of the park. To me this is always a crucial element in ensuring that certain company standards are maintained - The one area that DLP does sometimes lack.

It does seem that Disney like to open parks with fewer attractions, possibly so that any expansions and additions become instant marketing tools too. If everything is already there on opening day each attraction would have less of an impact then if they are the new thing 12 months down the line.

Well last weekend was D23 so some form of announcement was going to be made about Shanghai and it was awesome. They went into detail as to what the castle will contain and the scale of it is just incredible. It'll have 4 floors, a massive spiral staircase down the centre of it with effects, a restaurant, a massive shop, an interactive walk-through telling the stories of all the Disney princesses and the icing on the cake, a boat ride that goes round the entirety of Fantasyland having it's finale under the castle. It's going to be rather epic, shame the exterior doesn't look as good as say the Paris one. Still it's all rather exciting.

You can read more details plus see some pics and youtube video from the conference on the Disneyandmore blog

Now that it's getting relatively close to opening - a little over two years - we'll probably start to see a bit more news/construction and the like.

A while ago Screamscape posted this image, which is believed to be the layout for the Tron coaster. The green arrow is the launch track, while the red arrows show the block sections, which will allow multiple trains into the game grid at the same time.

TRON_LAYOUT1.jpg

http://www.screamscape.com/html/shanghai_disneyland.htm

I'm really liking the look of this park it's just so different from the rest.

Looking forward to seeing that coaster, just hope it does not go at 5mph lol.

^Speeds of around 50mph apparently, which is pretty much what the existing motorbike coasters do. That's a lot faster than Space Mountain in Florida and a bit faster than the version in Paris. It will drop off after the launch though obviously.

I don't think the speed will matter anyway, as with the other Disney coasters. It will be themed brilliantly, and the fact that you'll be interacting with the other trains will really add something to it.

According to Screamscape it'll be 3050 feet long, which is a bit shorter the Space Mountain coasters. I just think it's good that they're not just shoving another Space Mountain in, even though I really like the California/Tokyo/Hong Kong model.

All sounds good, it's a coaster I've been waiting for for years now :)

Get the tickets booked for 2 years after it opens lol.

Tron coaster <3. I wonder if each alternating train will be orange and blue, to give the light cruiser battle a stronger effect or how they will do it.

Hoping in like 4 or 5 years I will be able to afford a China trip of some length. With the Marvel land in Hong Kong, and then this, it definitely makes me anxious to get there.

Screamscape said:
Today I’ve got the unofficial final “land” list to share for Shanghai Disneyland. Yesterday we talked about how the ‘hub’ area will be called Gardens of Imagination, but before you enter the Garden you will pass down Mickey Avenue, the name of the official entryway portion of the park taking the place of Main Street USA. Going left to right around the ‘hub’ will be Tomorrowland (yes, they are keeping the name), Toy Story Land, Fantasyland, Treasure Cove and Adventure Isle. The later two will take the place of a traditional “Adventureland” and as previously discussed there will be no Frontierland in this park either.
I’m still working on narrowing down the list of attractions, but I’m told that everything I mentioned yesteday will be in the park, including an all new version of Soarin’. Tomorrowland will will feature a version of the Astro Orbiter / Rocket Jets ride along with the new Tron coaster and Buzz Lightyear ride. Fantasyland is rumored to have some kind of unique replacement for the traditional Tea Cups style ride, and according to the early rumors the Peter Pan’s Flight ride going into Shanghai will be bigger and better than the previous versions to date. The park will also still feature that rumored River Rapids ride (in the Adventure Isle area I believe)… but the Lost World Dinosaurs theme has been dropped in favor of something entirely new it seems. Oh… and there will be no It’s A Small World in the park either, as they are leaving that one to be unique to Hong Kong Disneyland in the region for now.

I totally understand the logic behind not having a Frontierland in an Asian Disney park. Completely makes sense to me. What doesn't make sense is that they don't replace it with something related to Shanghai folklore that would act as a fitting replacement.

Also, Toy Story Land can go and burn.

^Something related to Chinese folklore would just take it too far beyond being "Disney" I think. There needs to be a balance of recognisable Disneyland in there with enough of a twist to give it some originality, which I think they're doing well so far.

Treasure Cove sounds promising. There have been rumours of a brand new Pirates of the Caribbean ride to make its debut here after it was shelved for Hong Kong, and the confirmation of this land definitely points towards quite a bit of truth to the rumour.

I haven't been to a Toy Story Land yet, but I HATE what I've seen of them. However, from a marketing perspective they're a very, very good idea. Unfortunately.

Agree about Toy Story Land but as you say it's a very strong brand that so many know.

Never know they might get different rides from the rest.

But, with something Chinese. surely they could 'Disnify' it? Like, you know how they're done Mystic Point or whatever, and it's vaguely linked to something South American inspired, surely they could have done something like that? I dunno, wishful thinking, but it would have been awesome.

Seeing they have Mulan maybe they could base something on that. Don't know how well the film done in China tbh.

marc said:
Don't know how well the film done in China tbh.
Not brilliantly, it didn't get much of a release (though I guess it's reputation could have grown in the years since).

They don't even have to base it off of a film, just do something original. They're definitely capable of it, and the fact that they've chosen Toy Story land as a staple of the main park just doesn't sit right with me. I guess it's because it's breaking away from the mould, and that's weird, but still <//3