What's new

Shooting A Dream Down In Flames...

^I'm not going to copy and paste the kind of things that people have said in various topics just to try and prove my point (even I'm not that big of a bitch), but I honestly think you might have missed some of the kinds of things we're talking about here?

Maybe we're seeing "dream" as something completely different. I'm reading it as some kind of goal, which is how the vast majority of the people we're talking about here present it (with no actual clue of what that goal entails, hence my first post in this topic), and you're seeing it as some kind of American Idol, X-Factor, Oprah Winfrey, Tyra Banks bull ****.

gavin said:
you're seeing it as some kind of American Idol, X-Factor, Oprah Winfrey, Tyra Banks bull ****.

hahah I hope not, I've seen Trya Banks' show!! Once was enough!
I didn't mean to get all hippy on you. I'm sure we're arguing the same point really

I know that people do ask for advice sometimes with lame ideas and just expect everyone else to tell them the answers...but I'm sure I've also seen people just mentioning their dream job and being heckled for it. That's all I meant. I assure you I don't watch reality TV at all ;)

Would it not be beneficial to use the A levels he's got to get onto a degree course, and work at the park during holidays? That way he's getting the qualifications and the experience at the same time.
I disagree. Especially with the cost of uni having just shot up. Uni is a waste of time in this country for creatives. You aren't taught anything, just self set projects. He can do that at home.

Working at Thorpe isn't necessarily going to get him anywhere though, I agree. But it might. But just working there isn't enough. Need to talk to everyone, find out if there is a creative department on site, talk to them. Let everyone know what you want to do and don't be afraid to be cheeky and ask for things.

After spending 3 years doing a creative course I came out more disgruntled then anything. Because people who may of not worked as hard of you can often come off much better and get more praise, it happened with a few people in my class and has been somewhat hard to take.

I've had many different ideas in my life in terms of career changes but I've often had my parents and friends often laugh at my suggestions which hasn't exactly instilled me with confidence, hence why I'm not utterly confused what to do next. I'd love to work in the theme park industry or something similar as opposed to be working in a shop/cafe.

Dave said:
After spending 3 years doing a creative course I came out more disgruntled then anything. Because people who may of not worked as hard of you can often come off much better and get more praise, it happened with a few people in my class and has been somewhat hard to take.
+1

Exactly.

Do note though, this is a phenomenon of UK courses. In the US at least creative courses are nothing like they are here.

Totally worth spending the time you would be wasting at uni actually getting somewhere. Going to uni is like signing up for the "easy opinion", but really it makes it even harder as you need to be doing all the stuff you wouldn't be doing PLUS concerning yourself with jumping through the course's hoops and most people end up not doing all that other stuff you should be doing on top. Searching for work placements and foot-in-the-door jobs, teaching yourself, meeting people, traveling, etc is a far better time and energy investment. And damn it's a lot cheaper.

I've had many different ideas in my life in terms of career changes but I've often had my parents and friends often laugh at my suggestions which hasn't exactly instilled me with confidence, hence why I'm not utterly confused what to do next. I'd love to work in the theme park industry or something similar as opposed to be working in a shop/cafe.
One benefit I had of doing uni is I found out what I didn't want to do and I think that helped me. But I felt like you describe here until like 8 months ago.

I feel like you shouldn't get a degree in engineering JUST because you want to be a roller coaster designer. Job openings in the industry are, as we all know, very slim. You don't want to get stuck with an engineering job you hate because it was your dream to be a roller coaster designer, especially as your first job after graduating is more than likely not going to be a coaster designer.

^ That's a good point.

My dream job is to work for B&M. Obviously, there's a very slim chance of that ever happening haha. However, I love Math and Physics and the Engineering classes I'm taking, and although I'm working in school and such with the end goal of working in the industry, I would be happy with most professions dealing with Mechanical Engineering. I just have that sort of mindset and such, Math has always been my best subject.

That being said, I'm still going to work towards a job in the coaster industry. Whether that involves internships, working at parks, talking to anybody even slightly involved, whatever, that will always be my goal.

As so many people have said, it is all about getting your foot in the door, and I think at this point, my big toe may be in the door, and I am trying to get the rest of my foot in there. You realistically can't expect to start your experience at the top, you have to do the dirty work. Read the stories about park GM's and executives who worked at parks for years before they got anywhere. I know Cedar Fair is full of them. That's why I am doing what I am right now, took a significant pay drop, actually gained hours, but had to move for the summer and in my eyes, it is a great stepping stone. If anything comes from it? That is the real question, but if it doesn't, I know how competitive it is to get in, and it may just be one of those things where it is not meant to be and I have to focus on something else. Thankfully, over time, I have gathered enough "dream jobs" that is one doesn't pan out, well I still have about 5 more in the tank. Realism isn't fun, but you have to be able to accept failure and then grow from it. I mean, for example first I wanted to design roller coasters (like all of us do at some point) but my sheer hatred for anything related to math or science quickly eliminated that possibility, then I decided I would fit more on the business side of things, but that took a major hit when I changed to a history major, and especially with the job market now, it makes it hard to get a job even WITH the correct major. But, by making the connections I have this year, and working my ass off, things may have become a reality. We all want to do something with amusement parks, but the **** that comes with it is what no one wants to deal with, and that is pretty much the case for anything.

tomahawKSU said:
We all want to do something with amusement parks

No. No we don't. We all enjoy amusement parks. I'd say that the majority of us (the adults on the site at least) have little to no interest in working in them.

gavin said:
tomahawKSU said:
We all want to do something with amusement parks

No. No we don't. We all enjoy amusement parks. I'd say that the majority of us (the adults on the site at least) have little to no interest in working in them.

I'd like to, but doing what I'm doing now. Simply because I'd be more interested in creating an SQL report based on ride throughput than the amount of salt-ash that gets put into a big mixer to produce a ceiling tile. Or installing a network run across a themed ride area rather than across a filthy, dusty, nasty, smelly manufacturing plant.

I'd still be doing the same stuff, just in an environment that interested me. Though I didn't go for the CIO job at Tussauds that came up a few years back, so I can't want it that much :lol:

But yeah, I have zero interest in actually working "in park" as a designer, op, engineer, manager, etc.

I think I would hate working in a park for a big company, especially Merlin (Erugh) and putting someone else's dreams into reality. I would only really enjoy such a thing if I owned the park, and managed it to my own design - but that's obviously just a daydream. I just couldn't get passionate about a management position otherwise.

(If it helps at all, I have a friend who did a leisure and tourism degree at uni and someone from his course went to work for Merlin's management team and has apparently just landed a job at Disney. So I guess tourism/hospitality is another way to get into the industry)

Joey said:
Would it not be beneficial to use the A levels he's got to get onto a degree course, and work at the park during holidays? That way he's getting the qualifications and the experience at the same time.
I disagree. Especially with the cost of uni having just shot up. Uni is a waste of time in this country for creatives. You aren't taught anything, just self set projects. He can do that at home.
So why not do architecture? It's creative, but at least it's a pretty practical course at the same time too, and gives you pretty useful skills.

My goal is to be an structural engineer. I would be happy doing any type of job involving this because I like math and science. If I had the chance, I would definitely go into the roller coaster field.

Gazza said:
Joey said:
So why not do architecture? It's creative, but at least it's a pretty practical course at the same time too, and gives you pretty useful skills.
I wouldn't consider that a "creative" course. It is however a really, like you say, practical and useful skills. I have no idea how the course is actually run, but I'd assume there's a lot of scary maths and specific detailed planning involved there.

I didn't take a course like that because I'm no way smart enough to, and it would have bored me senseless. For me, a better option would have been to not do uni. At the time I didn't know what I wanted to do, I just did what I was good at and enjoyed.

In Leigh's case, his talents and interests lie with subjects that are completely useless at degree level also, imo.

MOST people in the creative side of the theme park industry study theatre and set design, or museum design, etc. But I still think having experience, a good portfolio, contacts, etc is worth way more than a degree in these fields. No one is going to hire you until you have experience, so spend the time you would be wasting at uni getting experience by working for free if you need to or working up the ladder.

About the Uni degree, there might be some areas of the industry where you don't need one but in engineering, you will really struggle to get anywhere without a degree. It will be one of the first things employers will look for I'm afraid and the same is true when you are seeking promotion. I can't speak for the creative side of the industry, that might be more about lucky breaks.. but if you want to go technical, you'll need a degree. End of.

Having said all that, one way to get into the industry (degree or not) might be inspection. I know this site (below) talks about experience etc but I'm sure you could start on any weld inspection or structures etc and you'd be fine.

Take a look:

http://www.ltci.co.uk/LTC_Job_Opportunities.htm

Costar - I think they were really talking about the creative side. As you say, you wouldn't get anywhere in engineering without a degree.

But just in case anyone reading this is silly enough to base their entire future on this thread, I'd like to make a case for the usefulness of a university education, even for creatives.

If you don't go to uni, you would miss out on the supportive structure and encouragement from staff and classmates to actually get things done. I guess it depends on the person and their individual willpower.

There are other benefits too. For me, uni was so much more than just my course. It's about the people you meet, who stay with you for the rest of your life, broadening your horizons and meeting people from places and with opinions you'd never have considered before. The skills you learn (essay-writing, oral exams, how to communicate with people) are things that you can use in any job environment. Uni also lets you try a huge range of sports and activities that you wouldn't have such easy or cheap access to in the outside world, so the social aspect is fantastic.

I know it's a lot of money (and increasing every year so it seems - I personally think everyone who got a grant in the past should be made to pay it back - that'd make those in power suddenly drop the fees), but I just wanted to make sure people didn't discredit going to uni just because they can 'paint at home'.

Uni is tough if your family aren't rich. Lots of us worked to pay for our fees as well as coping with all our coursework - and although I don't think you should have to - that sort of stuff is character-building. I would recommend to anyone to go to uni if they can. I wouldn't swap that experience for the world!