What's new

Six Flags in China

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I haven't seen a topic for this (but I have been away for a while).

The Shanghai Disney Resort, the first Disney park in the Chinese mainland, is slated to open at the end of 2015. And sometime in the next decade Disney is going to find it has competition from another US-based company, Six Flags theme parks.

Six Flags Entertainment Corp and Riverside Investment Group Co Ltd, a leading real estate developer in China, announced on Tuesday that it had formed a partnership to build multiple Six Flags-branded theme parks in China over the next decade. Terms of the arrangement were not disclosed. Six Flags could not be reached for comment on the location of the proposed theme parks.

"China is without a question the hottest spot on the planet," said Dennis Speigel, president of International Theme Park Services in Cincinnati, Ohio. "Where there's smoke there's fire."

In the 1990s, according to Speigel, Six Flags'foray into the European market did not work out, but now under different management with President and CEO Jim Reid-Anderson, "Six Flags is spreading global wings," said Speigel, a veteran consultant in the theme park industry for 50 years. "If I were him, I'd do the same."

Speigel said China, the Middle East, specifically the United Arab Emirates and Russia are currently the top three countries for investing in theme parks.

Texas-based Six Flags — with $1.1 billion in revenue and 18 parks across the United States, Mexico and Canada —announced in April it would expand in Dubai.

"Our international expansion strategy is focused on finding the right partners in the right markets, and Riverside Investment Group will be the perfect strategic partner for us in China," said Reid-Anderson.

In addition to Disney's new park in Shanghai, there is the Hong Kong Disneyland. The company has invested $5.5 billion in the Shanghai project, according to the International Business Times.

In 2012, DreamWorks announced plans for a Shanghai Entertainment District, and in 2013 an indoor theme park to be built in a major city in the Yangtze River Delta.

In the past, China's amusement-park business was a "boom and bust" situation and the parks that currently operate in China are not earning a lot of money, Speigel said. The biggest Chinese theme park companies like OCT and Wanda are trying to expand their projects too, he said.

Speigel said 59 theme parks are being planned throughout China by companies, including Warner Bros, Paramount and Sea World. "They can't all really develop, some of them won't happen," he said.

Ian Corydon, an analyst at Los Angeles-based brokerage firm B. Riley & Co, who follows Six Flags, said: "There is room for destination theme parks in China like Disney, but also room for regional theme parks like Six Flags." He added that Six Flags'expansion might not be on the same scale as Disney's.
http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/2014-06/25 ... 613149.htm

It will be interesting yo see how this takes off, as the likes of Disney, Universal and other western companies that have attempted to 'crack' Asia have had the benefit of characters already established in that psyche. We were discussing this on the trip to America recently, but Six Flags haven't used a superhero to theme a coaster in absolute ages and seem to be moving in different directions in terms of theme, made us wonder if a contract with DC has expired or something similar? If so it will be interesting to see what angle Six Flags take their parks in terms of establishing their brand in Asian territory.

That superhero thing could link into the universal story that in 2017 they will lose marvel and get dc.

This is good news though that more companies are looking to go to china.

Let's be honest the USA has so many parks they really don't need anymore parks by Universal, Disney, six flags.

China is a fast developing country and will be welcomed by the Chinese government who can move people out the way to get these parks built.

^Please elaborate.

nadroJ said:
It will be interesting yo see how this takes off, as the likes of Disney, Universal and other western companies that have attempted to 'crack' Asia have had the benefit of characters already established in that psyche. We were discussing this on the trip to America recently, but Six Flags haven't used a superhero to theme a coaster in absolute ages and seem to be moving in different directions in terms of theme, made us wonder if a contract with DC has expired or something similar? If so it will be interesting to see what angle Six Flags take their parks in terms of establishing their brand in Asian territory.

China cares a lot less about Western characters than, say, Japan - the de-Disneyfying of Shanghai Disney is evidence of this, and the local parks, including the giants like Happy Valley and Chimelong, don't use characters beyond a couple of crappy mascots who are practically invisible outside of the gift shops.

Six Flags is a perfect fit in that respect.

^I'm sure it was an attempt to reference the perceived lack of quality Six Flags provides combined with the perceived lack of quality China provides.

The last major Six Flag ride with a DC tag happened just 2-3 years ago (when Six Flags named like 14 rides Green Lantern). Wouldn't really call that ages ago. Hell, Magic Mountain refreshed their Gotham City into a DC area what 2 years ago?

Not saying that Universal wouldn't be interested in an easy transition from Marvel to DC, but I disagree that Six Flags is avoiding DC brands.

2012 - Superman: Ultimate Flight at Discovery Kingdom.

Considering we all skipped completely to Green Lantern I am very worried about BGW's 2015 addition since it's basically an identical clone...

gavin said:
^Please elaborate.

nadroJ said:

China cares a lot less about Western characters than, say, Japan - the de-Disneyfying of Shanghai Disney is evidence of this, and the local parks, including the giants like Happy Valley and Chimelong, don't use characters beyond a couple of crappy mascots who are practically invisible outside of the gift shops.

Six Flags is a perfect fit in that respect.
When you put it like that, I completly agree! But I was refering to the fact that this could mean a worse Six Flags than the ones already made. Thats just my opinion.

Big news today as Six Flags have signed a deal to work on a second park in China. Following on from the already confirmed Tianjin park a new park will be built in Haiyan between the cities of Hangzhou and Ningbo and a short train ride south of Shanghai.

John Odum the Senior Vice President of Six Flags was there to sign a cooperation framework with the intention of opening a park with partners from Riverside Investment Group and local government officials.

It's still early days but this is an interesting move for Six Flags moving in to an area which already has Happy Valley and up and coming Disney and Fantawild projects within easy reach.

12072729_1477050709266989_3912349078545590152_n.jpg

12042668_1477050682600325_3626788812123913795_n.jpg

Source News Sina (Chinese) Via VHCoasters

^It's Six Flags building a new park. With the way they've been spending the past few years, I thought it'd never get off the drawing board.

^ Speculation on my part, but I'd be very surprised if the majority of the financing wasn't coming from elsewhere.

Yeah I belive Gavin is correct and Riverside Group are financing the project and pretty much just licensing the six flags name. Their logo is plastered all over the website too.

Copied & pasted form here + translated

Zhejiang Six Flags International Resort Six Flags total area of about 53.9 hectares, is divided into four Area. Among them, the early development of three Area, a total of six different theme areas, each theme area for visitors to provide a distinct theme of the unique experience.

Theme Zone 01 Adventure Discovery Square

Throughout the Six Flags pedestrian trail throughout the surprising elements will induce tourists more interest to explore, to understand the Six Flags theme park interesting history.

Theme Zone 02 Texas Carnival

Carnival Texas has the flavor of the southwestern United States, from the original western architecture, messy barn, disordered silver mine, to the noisy bar, all of these structural facilities reflect a noisy town style.

Theme Zone 03 Super Adventure

Spring and Autumn period, the more countries and Wu launched an epic tug of war, super adventure shows the incredible era of shipbuilding technology, love story.

Theme Zone 04 Magic Mountain

This area is a fun experience laboratory, similar to the World Expo, every device in the limit speed, height and excitement to bring challenges to visitors.

Theme Zone 05 Explore the Kingdom

This area is located in the center of the park, giving visitors the impression of being sandcastled by gorgeous shells, colorful barrels, shovels, beach toys, umbrellas and beach balls. The colorful kites provide shade for the beach area.

Theme area 06 big escape

The Great Escape Zone will immerse visitors in an era full of joy and nostalgia. The area's riding equipment gives visitors the opportunity to challenge, spin, lift and accelerate.

'Sandcastled' should be used as a verb more often :p Looking at the map there a lot of similarities with the Dubai park. The coaster that flies over the entrance plaza looks the same and there is also another Goliath RMC clone, S&S free spin and Mack PowerSplash. There looks like 4 more visible creds (or 3 as I think the light blue one at the bottom right hand corner is a log flume) plus any indoor ones...

Last edited:
I like the way they've seemingly named some of the areas after other Six Flags parks e.g. Magic Mountain and Great Escape! I guess Carnival Texas and Super Adventure could be interpreted as Fiesta Texas and Great Adventure too... :)

Those certainly don't look anything like the renderings on the "official" website and this layout makes more sense IMO.

The use of other SF park names as areas is almost identical to the already under construction Dubai park. In fact the entire park layout is fairly similar. Looks good.