What's new

Six Flags Magic Mountain | "Full Throttle" | multi launch

Re: Six Flags Magic Mountain | "Full Throttle" | multi launc

Uncle Arly said:
Also, isn't one train usually kept back for parts?

I was always under the impression that that only happens because a park gets cheap/lazy with buying new parts. Like, didn't FlamingoLand used to run 2 on Kumali and then spite one for parts? Pretty sure the same thing happened with Oblivion too. They've never used all of them at once, but ripping restraints and stuff off one of the cars only started a few years ago.

Jake said:
Uncle Arly said:
Also, isn't one train usually kept back for parts?

I was always under the impression that that only happens because a park gets cheap/lazy with buying new parts. Like, didn't FlamingoLand used to run 2 on Kumali and then spite one for parts? Pretty sure the same thing happened with Oblivion too. They've never used all of them at once, but ripping restraints and stuff off one of the cars only started a few years ago.

That makes sense!

Just watched the video of this it looks awesome! The backwards launch will be interesting.

After getting over my initial reactions and taking some time away from this ride. Having viewed the video again just now I have to say that for what it is, it doesn't look bad. Getting over the YOLO bit and the disappointment of it not being the extremely long terrain coaster of the rumors it looks like a fun little ride. Is it anything spectacular? No but it's not as horrible as I initially thought.

^ I agree with you.

I was hoping for more, but it does look fun and I LOVE Premier launches.

It also looks very re-ridable, and the backwards launch will be fun to experience with the GP.

It also looks like they won't be chopping down a bunch of trees for this project, so that should give some nice visuals as well.

UC said:
Getting over the YOLO bit and the disappointment of it not being the extremely long terrain coaster of the rumors it looks like a fun little ride.

I don't really understand how people are harboring any kind of animosity towards this ride based on the fact "YOLO" appeared in the beginning of the pitch video for less than two seconds. I understand that some people are disappointed that it's not what they expected, but is picking on the YOLO piece (as opposed to concerns about the layout, ride type, etc.) really the appropriate outlet? It's not even mentioned anywhere (correct me if I'm wrong) other than this 2< second blurb in the video.

As for the clientele concerns, SFMM is going to be loaded with the type of people who love the YOLO stuff regardless of whether or not it's in the video. In fact, I'll bet the majority of them will never see the video anyway.

I have multiple friends who end every sentence with yolo and it drives me crazy. Which for me outs means anything with Yolo is immediately off putting. So for me its not animosity over the use of Yoko but the "word" yolo

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

The park is playing off of a pop culture in order to generate hype so they can get people to visit the park. As far as the GP is concerned this coaster is going to be the most amazing thing since sliced bread. Now this YOLOcoaster definitely could be amazing for an enthusiasts standpoint if that top hat has some good air all the way over it, with lap bars and a Kingda Ka braking hill it'll be <3.

The YOLO thing is bad for the reason Joey mentioned it, the people who say it are obnoxious, which is the same clientele that SFMM attracts. In that case, I understand the use of it, but for a ride promotion video that isn't going to be seen by many YOLO lovers, I don't understand the point. The entire catch phrase of the ride, YOLO, live it ride it beat it, or whatever it is feels very Scream-ish with the "Ride out Loud" crap, and we all know how well that ride has done for the park. Even in its first season it only had about a 45 minute wait and it is now essentially walk on every time.

I still am frustrated over the lack of a true good layout. Launch giant loop, turn, hill, dive loop/extreme overbank turn, brakes, launch back, forward, hill, brakes. Nothing about that is revolutionary, especially for a park that hasn't had a huge addition since 2006 with Tatsu and has been revamping rides or adding filler attractions since then. Maybe this ride wouldn't have been as disappointing if some of the rumors of a long multi launcher never existed, actually I'm sure it wouldn't be, but it feels like they opted to go the cheap way out and are just throwing in another forgettable attraction that will be down to one train operation by the end of the first year.

tomahawKSU said:
I still am frustrated over the lack of a true good layout. Launch giant loop, turn, hill, dive loop/extreme overbank turn, brakes, launch back, forward, hill, brakes. Nothing about that is revolutionary, especially for a park that hasn't had a huge addition since 2006 with Tatsu and has been revamping rides or adding filler attractions since then. Maybe this ride wouldn't have been as disappointing if some of the rumors of a long multi launcher never existed, actually I'm sure it wouldn't be, but it feels like they opted to go the cheap way out and are just throwing in another forgettable attraction that will be down to one train operation by the end of the first year.

I'm not sure why people are surprised the layout is short. Other than Maverick and Cheetah Hunt (both built by companies willing to shell out $25 million on one coaster), aren't 90 percent of launch coasters a variation on the launch, element, back to the brakes theory? Including TTD, KK, Xcelerator and the Mr Freeze rides (all still great rides imo).

These types of rides are not cheap, and Six Flags isn't spending that kind of money on one coaster any longer. For what it is, the ride serves it's purpose, a second launch coaster for a park that only has Superman up to now.

I wouldnt say 90%, but I will agree that it USED to be the norm in regards to launch coasters. I would say about 50-60%

Don't forget the smaller launchers like Sky Rocket and Manta, along with Verbolten, Flight of Fears, Backlot Stunt Coasters, Volcano, the Vertical Velocity cousins (Wicked Twister included), and the Rock n' Rollercoasters.

UC said:
So if Phoenix, which I assume from your signature, had the word "YOLO" on its sign, you'd immediately be put off by it? Enough that you'd have to "get over it" in order to like Phoenix again?

My point is that on a coaster forum, I feel this is something that should be looked over. I understand that hobbyists of any kind will pick apart anything having to do with their interests, but...this isn't even that. It's so insignificant. It has nothing to do with the ride experience, which is ultimately what everything is about.

Just a thought.

OK, yes, you are correct that the use of YOLO in the promotional video has no bearing on an objective assessment of the ride's layout. However - and I'm not trying to speak for Joey, but I believe we are of the same mindset - it's a terribly annoying phrase, used often by annoying people in the context of justifying poor life decisions: "Ohmahgawd I got so drunk last night I threw up on a cop & woke up in jail.... whatevs let's do some shotsss #YOLO XD" and so forth. So yeah, when Six Flags decides to open their promo video by throwing that up there, the gut reaction for those of us who can't stand the phrase is to dislike whatever comes next. My first opinion was thus that the ride was massively underwhelming, and there was, in fact, a "getting over it" process where I just had to force myself to look at the ride objectively. When all's said and done, I've decided that it's probably a little better than I initially thought, and to its credit, it does do some unique things.

I didn't know what YOLO meant. I had to look it up on urban dictionary.
Maybe I've never made any poor life decisions?
...hang on, it's 5.20 and instead of leaving the office, I'm writing about slang words on a coaster forum
...YOLO!

Sure is funky, but not by the smell definition!

UC said:
So, essentially, what you're telling me is that you're judging a ride based on something which has nothing to do with it?

Off the cuff, yes. It's not logical, but that was my initial reaction. As I said, my opinion on the actual ride itself has come to change.

UC said:
What about you? What if I305 or El Toro had a sign that read "YOLO!" near it? Such as "YOLO - Ride the raging bull!" - Would you inherently dislike it suddenly, and need to "get over it" before liking it again?

No, since I've already ridden those rides and have fully formed opinions as to their quality. I would be disappointed by such signage, though.

UC said:
Just for the record, this is exactly my point. You ultimately judge a ride based on the physical ride itself - the design, layout, the experience - yet you allow something such a four-letter acronym on a quick video to sway your perception to begin with, even though it has nothing to do with how you ultimately judge the ride itself. I'm not pointing at you specifically, just the attitude in general.

I understand that, and I acknowledge that it doesn't make rational sense. People are irrational creatures, though. There will be people who react to seeing YOLO in that video with as much excitement and enthusiasm as I have distaste for it. Why else would Six Flags include that bit other than to potentially hype up the ride in the minds of some viewers? The graphics, the text, the music... anything in addition to the simple animation of the ride's motion is designed to increase the ride's appeal beyond its inherent level. So just as I initially undervalued the ride based on one portion of the video which I found objectionable, I'm sure there will be others who will overvalue it based on the same kinds of characteristics of the video.

UC said:
There will be people who react to seeing YOLO in that video with as much excitement and enthusiasm as I have distaste for it. Why else would Six Flags include that bit other than to potentially hype up the ride in the minds of some viewers? The graphics, the text, the music... anything in addition to the simple animation of the ride's motion is designed to increase the ride's appeal beyond its inherent level. So just as I initially undervalued the ride based on one portion of the video which I found objectionable, I'm sure there will be others who will overvalue it based on the same kinds of characteristics of the video.

Absolutely - no argument here with regards to why they did it. It surprises me you'd liken your anti-YOLO reaction to a pro-YOLO reaction, though...

There's a difference between you and a random YOLO-er - you know why these things exist, and you look at them from the perspective of someone with a hobby, as opposed to someone who is getting excited over this in the same way they would over anything that isn't a hobby.

You know it's all just hype over a new ride, designed to catch attention and speak to what they feel is the current market - you know it's just marketing. You also know, as an enthusiast, that such things mean little in terms of the actual ride experience. You - for the purposes of this Full Throttle example - know better.

So I find it interesting that you equate your hobbyist knowledge (i.e. you understand the marketing parks use and why they use them, and how little it means for the actual ride) and the resulting reaction with that of any individual, be they pro- or anti-YOLO.

Again, not pointing fingers - it just seems to me that enthusiasts, given their hobbies, should be able to see beyond something like this to get to the core ride itself...and thus, it surprised me quite a bit to learn of how many were seemingly quite incapable of doing that.

I think its' less about ability of ignoring it and more about human nature. As humans we react to every little thing and one seemingly minute detail can change an opinion drastically.

That said for me personally i feel it's not incompatibility its disappointment. I just took out my frustration on the thing I personally despised and made it an easy scapegoat. After taking some time away from it and looking at the coaster and only the coaster my opinion has changed.

Feel free (and I'm sure you will) to dispute anything you'd like to