What's new

Six Flags Magic Mountain | "Full Throttle" | multi launch

Re: Six Flags Magic Mountain | "Full Throttle" | multi launc

It's been so many years since I rode the monorail at MM, I cannot for the life of me remember how long the tunnel is.

I didn't think it was all that long, though. Besides, there's no way to have two trains in the tunnel. The first train in the tunnel is supposed to leave backwards before accelerating out forwards.

Good point, though they could still have two trains in the tunnel, but they would have to evac.

Yeah, the capacity of this is going to be a joke!

I said it weeks ago that there'd be absolutely no point to have three trains.

Unless there's dual loading or separate load and unload, that is.

The block sections are pretty clear: Station, first launch to tunnel, tunnel to end course brakes, transfer, and that's it. Four blocks is ineffective for three train ops unless you're planning to intentionally keep one train parked waiting to enter the station on every cycle of operations. Any train on the first launch cannot proceed until the previous train is entering the end course brakes, because if that previous train rolls back into the tunnel, there's no place to stop on the way to the tunnel. If this is a rolling first launch, then the train cannot even be dispatched from the station until the previous train has cleared the top hat. Which means there's now TWO trains on the brake run waiting to enter the station while the next train is rolling out of the station.

^ Indeed. And about the launch, if the video is accurate, it's not a rolling launch!

rollermonkey said:
I said it weeks ago that there'd be absolutely no point to have three trains.

Unless there's dual loading or separate load and unload, that is.

The block sections are pretty clear: Station, first launch to tunnel, tunnel to end course brakes, transfer, and that's it. Four blocks is ineffective for three train ops unless you're planning to intentionally keep one train parked waiting to enter the station on every cycle of operations. Any train on the first launch cannot proceed until the previous train is entering the end course brakes, because if that previous train rolls back into the tunnel, there's no place to stop on the way to the tunnel. If this is a rolling first launch, then the train cannot even be dispatched from the station until the previous train has cleared the top hat. Which means there's now TWO trains on the brake run waiting to enter the station while the next train is rolling out of the station.

There are only 2 trains.

They will run this ride similar to Xcellerator. 2 trains, train will launch as the the returning train turns into the station. The only time both trains will be on the loop/top hat at the same time will be on media day, for photo ops purposes only.

^ Pretty sure they can't run it like that at all, ever. Just because it's media day doesn't mean the cars can't roll back.

That's what was explained to us during a construction tour a few months ago. By the way, yes both trains can occupy the tunnel at once. Ever notice how short they are?

But ultimately, who cares? It doesn't help capacity and the ride is so short that like Xcellerator, it wouldn't makes sense anyway. It makes a cool photo op for the press, which is why it will be done for it's intial launch only.

Newtrek5 said:
That's what was explained to us during a construction tour a few months ago. By the way, yes both trains can occupy the tunnel at once. Ever notice how short they are?

Perhaps you haven't noticed the backwards launch?

^ I'm not sure what you mean? Have you seen the launch track that leads from the tunnel to the top hat? There aren't going to be any roll backs unless the launch misfires, in which case the computer sensors will not allow the train in the station to launch.

Will there be a staging area before the launch, or will trains launch directly from the station?

If there is a staging area, 3 train operation would definitely work. You could have a train ready to launch, a train in the station, and a train in the brake run.

Regardless however, I believe that based on the ride's design (especially the backwards launch), there will only be one train traveling the circuit for normal operation.

If it doesn't launch out of the station, then it'll move to an actual launch section. If that's the case, that's a pretty short area for a launch.

img_4207__copy__1.jpg

(From TPR)

It's such a.. 'pretty' element. Shame the actual ride does jack ****.

The ride is going to launch right out of the station as evidenced by the launch fins in the station.
SFMM_FTUpdate_20130412_05.jpg

(From thecoasterguy.com)

it is possible for 2 trains to be out of the station in the same time only if a train can be stopped by a brake run less than half as long as the tunnel.
which I doubt, seeing the length of the final brake run.

NegativeG said:
If it doesn't launch out of the station, then it'll move to an actual launch section. If that's the case, that's a pretty short area for a launch.

img_4207__copy__1.jpg

(From TPR)

Everything about this picture screams "WTF?" to me.

The length of the launch seems ridiculously short for LSMs. The brake runs seems ridiculously short considering the height the track drops into them from. The tightness of the hairpin between the brake run and station. How on earth is that reusing Log Jammer's station?

Apparently they won't be using Log Jammers station, they will be demolishing it and are only using it for part of the fencing (for now)
When the time comes, they will demolish the station and complete the 'Full Throttle themed area'

I agree that the launch is very short, but yet it has to get up to 70 mph to not only get through the loop, but also up and ove the plaza. It must have amazing acceleration!

I think I remember seeing fromt the animation that the LSM's go slightly up the pull-in to the loop, which would certainly help the getting up to speed thing. Also, don't forget that the brakes start halfway down the tophat.

Using a former log flume as station element for a 70 mph launched coaster with 2 inversions. Where have I heard of this before? :p

^ Not sure if you mean Cheetah Hunt, but if you did, that has one loop!