What's new
FORUMS - COASTERFORCE

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Throughput Timings Thread

Apologies for being late, but I just remembered that I had a series of throughput timings to share from my trip to Blackpool Pleasure Beach last month. Due to relatively short queues, some of the averages were not as comprehensive as I might usually have liked, but the throughput timings I was able to get were as follows:
  • Avalanche (Theoretical: Unknown on 3 trains) - 266pph (1 train, average of 3, 30th April 2025)
  • Big Dipper (Theoretical: Unknown on 2 trains) - 241pph (1 train, average of 2, 30th April 2025)
  • Big One (Theoretical: 1,700pph on 3 trains) - 361pph (1 train, average of 2, 30th April 2025)
  • Icon (Theoretical: 1,070pph on 3 trains) - 573pph (2 trains, average of 2, 30th April 2025)
  • Steeplechase (Theoretical: Unknown on 3 sides/unknown number of cars per side) - 200pph (2 sides/unknown number of cars, average of 2, 30th April 2025)
If I were to offer a general opinion, operations at Blackpool were definitely somewhat more sluggish than on my last visit in 2019. Every coaster that can run multiple trains was running 1 train with the exception of Icon, which led to some rather slow dispatch times, and even Icon itself was notably slower than in 2019, where I remember it getting 1,000pph on 3 trains.

It wasn’t a major problem for me personally, seeing as I managed 26 rides, but even still, some queues were surprisingly long given that the park wasn’t overly busy; I still waited a solid 30 minutes for an Avalanche reride at one point when the queue was not even out of the station building.
 
I have some throughput timings from my trip to Alton Towers on 26th and 27th July that I’d like to report!

Across the two days, I managed to grab the following throughput timings:
  • Galactica (Theoretical: 1,500pph on 3 trains/2 stations): 1,207pph (3 trains/2 stations, average of 4, 26th July 2025)
  • Nemesis Reborn (Theoretical: 1,400pph on 2 trains): 1,163pph (2 trains, average of 5, 26th July 2025), 1,130pph (2 trains, average of 5, 27th July 2025)
  • Oblivion (Theoretical: 1,900pph on 7 shuttles/2 stations): 787pph (5 shuttles/2 stations, average of 3 dual dispatches, 26th July 2025) (Note: This figure was obtained in a brief moment when the ride did not have a batcher, so the platform staff were having to multitask), 939pph (5 shuttles/2 stations, average of 4 dual dispatches, 26th July 2025), 644pph (4 shuttles/1 station, average of 2, 27th July 2025)
  • Spinball Whizzer (Theoretical: 950pph on 8 cars): 631pph (6 cars, average of 2, 26th July 2025 (Note: While I got relatively few readings for Spinball, I had a longer timing that I accidentally messed up by missing one, and the longer timing had a very similar, if not slightly faster, average; ops seemed pretty consistent on here for the whole time I was in the area)
  • The Smiler (Theoretical: 1,200pph on 5 trains): 882pph (4 trains, average of 10, 26th July 2025), 830pph (4 trains, average of 6, 27th July 2025) (Note: This figure was skewed downwards slightly by one instance of a larger guest who didn’t fit needing to be rechecked and evicted; the average of the other 5 readings was higher)
  • Thirteen (Theoretical: 1,100pph on 3 trains): 1,272pph (3 trains, average of 7, 26th July 2025) (Note: This reading was skewed down by 1 or 2 instances of larger guests needing rechecking, as well as 1 instance where guests lingering from the prior train needed ushering off the exit platform prior to dispatch)
  • Toxicator (Theoretical: 1,200pph): 482pph (average of 3, 27th July 2025)
  • Wicker Man (Theoretical: 952pph on 3 trains): 970pph (3 trains, average of 10, 26th July 2025), 1,080pph (3 trains, average of 6, 26th July 2025), 991pph (3 trains, average of 7, 27th July 2025)
Overall, I thought operations were broadly excellent across the weekend! In terms of a few specific thoughts that stick out to me:
  • After a bit of a slip in efficiency last year, Nemesis seems to have returned to its pre-retrack form in terms of operations; they were brilliant on there all trip, with little to no stacking, and there were staff members hurrying people along on the platform and at batching!
  • It has been a bit inconsistent on some trips in the past, but I have to say that Galactica was doing brilliantly last weekend! They were killing it on 3 trains and 2 stations; I rode it twice and didn’t stack either time, and whenever I was in the station, it seemed very common for there to be a notable gap between a train leaving my station and the train behind re-entering it. The train was frequently slowing down on the lift hill (because the train in front hasn’t cleared the block yet) too. Brilliant!
  • The key throughput highlight of the weekend was probably Thirteen. Given that my 1,272pph average was skewed down by a couple of larger guests needing rechecking, I think it’s fair to say that the Thirteen staff were doing brilliantly! It was on 3 trains, and they were throwing the trains out; when they were on a roll, they were getting dispatch intervals as fast as 50s, and the vast majority of dispatch intervals were under a minute! There was a dispatch where the staff had checked the train so fast that they had to usher the guests still exiting from the previous train off the exit platform to dispatch. Isn’t that awesome? It was like being in Europa Park or Universal! That ride really is a queue muncher when it runs to its full potential!
  • The one bleaker spot on the otherwise excellent throughput picture was Oblivion. When I encountered the ride on Saturday, it was lacking a batcher at one point; that 787pph figure is probably the worst I’ve ever measured on 2 stations, and it was almost solely due to the platform staff having to duck out from the platform to come and batch people at periodic intervals. They did regain a separate batcher later in the day, but even then, the operations were not exactly staggering, with the average still being above 2 minutes between dual dispatches. It was also only running one station on Sunday, which definitely isn’t ideal in the summer holidays. This is the one ride that notably doesn’t quite hit its potential; I think baggage is the key thing that stymies it, as it takes a long time for people to cross those long rows. If it had a baggage hold or fancy cages like Yukon Striker, I think the throughput on Oblivion would go up two-fold.
  • Wicker Man was doing really well as usual, with frequent cases of a train going up the lift hill before the one in front hitting the brake run, but I do think it might now be time to dispense of the compulsory pre-show. I noticed that they were often having to wait for the pre-show to end before they could fill the airgates (the station queue was running out of people before the doors were opening to let a new batch in), which did seem to slow dispatches down in some cases.
Overall, the weekend boasted broadly excellent operations, and no queue was very long at all! It’s weekends like this one that make me disagree with the common consensus that Alton Towers have dreadful operations; I’d argue that figures like these suggest that the park actually do very well on throughputs in general, with most rides running on full capacity and dispatching promptly!
 
I have some more throughput timings from my trip to Thorpe Park yesterday that I’d like to report!

I managed to grab the following timings in the park yesterday:
  • Colossus (Theoretical: 1,300pph on 2 trains): 717pph (unknown number of trains, average of 3, 20th September 2025)
  • Hyperia (Theoretical: 1,050pph on 2 trains): 833pph (2 trains, average of 10, 20th September 2025)
  • Nemesis Inferno (Theoretical: 1,150pph on 2 trains): 977pph (2 trains, average of 5, 20th September 2025), 1,024pph (2 trains, average of 4, 20th September 2025)
  • Saw: The Ride (Theoretical: 1,000pph on 8 cars/2 stations): 742pph (unknown number of trains/2 stations, average of 10 singular cars, 20th September 2025), 788pph (unknown number of trains/2 stations, average of 4 dual dispatches, 20th September 2025)
  • Stealth (Theoretical: 1,000pph on 2 trains): 975pph (2 trains, average of 10, 20th September 2025)
  • The Swarm (Theoretical: 1,100pph on 2 trains): 1,046pph (2 trains, average of 9, 20th September 2025)
In terms of some specific insights:
  • Stealth had possibly the best operations I’ve ever seen on there; these operations were phenomenal! The staff were sprinting down the platform, and they were very frequently outpacing the 40s dispatch timer on the platform, something which I’d largely thought redundant in previous years! 70-75 second dispatch intervals were being hit very consistently, and the slowest I saw was about 80s, which is incredible!
  • The Swarm was also operated very well given that it seems to have been a tad inconsistent as of late. When I was in the area, the ride was consistently achieving minimal to no stacking, the staff were efficient, and I saw some dispatch intervals as quick as 90s or below. Great job!
  • Hyperia was operating well, and seems to have improved compared to its opening year, with 80-90 second dispatch intervals being attained pretty consistently where closer to 100-120 seconds seemed par for the course in 2024. From what I could see, the ride was consistently not stacking and was very often dispatching before the train in front hit the brake run; at its quickest, I saw them dispatch when the train in front was negotiating the final outerbank after the splashdown. I do think the slow brake run on here makes throughputs slower than they could be when the ride isn’t stacking; if the brake run was faster, I think it would shave at least 10 seconds off the dispatch interval!
  • Nemesis Inferno seemed to be operating well, with minimal to no stacking being quite frequent. I noticed the staff were trying to hurry people along on here.
Overall, then, I thought operations were broadly very good at Thorpe yesterday! Stealth was phenomenally operated, I also thought The Swarm was particularly well operated, and overall, most things seemed to be doing well! I’ve given up hope of Colossus ever attaining a particularly decent throughput at this point, but even that didn’t appear too slow by Colossus standards.
 
I have spent the last two days at Alton Towers and resultantly, I have some throughput timings to share for anyone who’s interested! The timings I managed to gather were as follows:
  • Galactica (Theoretical: 1,500pph on 3 trains/2 stations) - 611pph (2 trains/1 station, average of 8, 27th March 2026)
  • Nemesis Reborn (Theoretical: 1,400pph on 2 trains) - 1,183pph (2 trains, average of 10, 27th March 2026), 1,227pph (2 trains, average of 3, 28th March 2026), 1,161pph (2 trains, average of 10, 28th March 2026) Note: The 27th March reading was brought downwards by 1 anomalously slow dispatch, with the average interval being around the 90s mark prior to this.
  • Rita (Theoretical: 1,150pph on 2 trains) - 636pph (2 trains, average of 10, 27th March 2026), 715pph (2 trains, average of 10, 28th March 2026)
  • Spinball Whizzer (Theoretical: 950pph on 8 cars) - 513pph (5 or 6 cars, average of 10, 27th March 2026) Note: This number assumes 4 riders to a car, and the ride was running with 3 riders to a car on my ride, so the actual number would be more like 385pph. It is also worth me noting that this figure was brought down by 1 or 2 particularly slow dispatches, with the average interval sitting at a pretty consistent 23s otherwise.
  • The Smiler (Theoretical: 1,000pph on 5 trains) - 790pph (4 trains, baggage hold closed, average of 10, 27th March 2026)
  • Thirteen (Theoretical: 1,100pph on 3 trains) - 1,025pph (3 trains, baggage hold closed, average of 3, 27th March 2025), 901pph (3 trains, baggage hold closed, average of 10, 27th March 2025), 1,022pph (3 trains, baggage hold open, average of 5, 28th March 2026) Note: The 28th March reading was brought downwards by 1 anomalously slow reading caused by guest faff at the end of the timing period, with the prior readings producing an average dispatch interval of 57s.
  • Wicker Man (Theoretical: 952pph on 3 trains) - 854pph (2 trains, average of 8, 27th March 2025), 901pph (unknown number of trains, average of 8, 28th March 2025)
If I were to offer a few general insights, I would say the following:
  • Operations were overall pretty good, but perhaps a little inconsistent, in my view. There were a couple of areas of weakness.
  • Nemesis Reborn was a consistent area of strength. On the Friday night in particular, they were slamming trains out at a relatively consistent interval of 90s or so, with little to no stacking; the average above was brought downwards by 1 anomalously slow dispatch. Saturday was a little less consistent, maybe averaging around the 100s mark, but even still, the operation was relatively smooth with minimal stacking. The staff were flying on here!
  • Thirteen was another area of strength when the baggage hold was open on Saturday, perhaps proving the impact a baggage hold can have for throughput, in my opinion. My average above caught one particularly anomalous dispatch with some guest faff in the mix, but they were averaging under a minute prior to this and were whacking the trains out at a rate of knots! Other than the one anomaly, 65s was the slowest dispatch while I was in the station earlier today; the operation was very, very slick! Stacking was minimal, and when I was on the ride, our train came out of the crypt to the sight of the train behind going up the lift hill to enter it! Friday was definitely slower on Thirteen when it was closed, with my snapshots showing a throughput more around the 900-1,000pph mark and an audibly slower average dispatch interval of more like 70-80s.
  • Wicker Man was a weird one. On Friday, it was running 2 trains, but was going fast enough that I thought it could have been running a slightly sluggish 3 train service; the staff were flying on there! On Saturday, the ride was running faster again, hitting around 900pph. I think 3 trains was possible based on the speed, but it seemed to run in a clockwork alternating manner of one very quick 80s dispatch interval followed by one slower dispatch interval of 2 minutes or so, which makes me think that it could have been a very fast 2 train service again today. The staff were doing incredibly well on here on Friday, but I think 3 trains would not have gone amiss given the crowd levels.
  • Galactica was a massive stinker compared to the other rides. The staff were trying their hardest, but my goodness, that queue moves slowly when the ride only runs 2 trains and 1 station. 600pph really isn’t ideal when the park is that busy.
  • I do think baggage holds on Smiler and Thirteen may have come in useful on Friday. Thirteen’s was open on Saturday, but I think the throughput boost from them being open could have been of use on Friday too. My readings from Thirteen would show that those holds really do speed things along, in my view!
 
Just before I head out on another trip later this week, I thought I’d post some throughput timings and insights from recent visits Adventure Island and Thorpe Park.

Starting with Adventure Island:
  • Rage (Theoretical: 850pph on 3 cars) - 174pph (1 car, average of 5, 12th April 2026) Note: The ride ran 2 cars earlier in the day, but had dropped to 1 by the time I did a timing.
In terms of general insights, queues were short on the day I visited, so I can’t really complain about operations on my day specifically, but one thing I would say is that most of the rides, with Rage being the only memorable exception, operated with only 1 member of staff running the whole thing, which definitely introduced notable inefficiency. I’m not sure if this is different on busy days, but I can imagine this would have made queues quite slow had the day been busier, and indeed, queues did ramp up a little as the day progressed on my day. I wouldn’t have said Adventure Island’s operations were bad per se, but between this and the pre-ride “pumping up” that the park do, I would say it does not strike me as a park where throughputs are a top priority.

Moving on to Thorpe Park, then:
  • Colossus (Theoretical: 1,300pph on 2 trains) - 786pph (2 trains, average of 4, 13th April 2026)
  • Hyperia (Theoretical: 1,050pph on 2 trains) - 770pph (2 trains, average of 4, 13th April 2026), 763pph (2 trains, average of 10, 13th April 2026)
  • Nemesis Inferno (Theoretical: 1,150pph on 2 trains) - 1,023pph (2 trains, average of 6, 13th April 2026)
  • Saw: The Ride (Theoretical: 1,000pph on 8 cars) - 854pph (unknown number of cars, average of 8, 13th April 2026)
  • Stealth (Theoretical: 1,000pph on 2 trains) - 827pph (2 trains, average of 9, 13th April 2026), 860pph (2 trains, average of 6, 13th April 2026)
  • The Swarm (Theoretical: 1,100pph on 2 trains) - 946pph (2 trains, average of 10, 13th April 2026), 1,022pph (2 trains, average of 5, 13th April 2026)
Overall, then, I would have said ops were pretty good, but perhaps not as high-end as I have seen in a couple of cases. Colossus was doing pretty well in my brief snapshot by that ride’s standards, and Saw was smashing it! Inferno and Hyperia were also doing well.

Some others were still good, but perhaps not as high as I have seen. For example, Stealth, consistently attaining slightly below 90s between dispatches, seemed somewhat slower than on my last visit back in September, where the staff were pumping out trains at a rate of knots and attaining nearly 1,000pph. Swarm also seemed slightly less consistent. That is me being persnickety, though; operations were generally good, and ride availability was also strong throughout the day!

One thing I did notice is that Inferno was batching at the station entrance, which I found a bit odd… I wonder why they’ve changed this for 2026?
 
My friend tracked throughput on our visit to Germany last weekend.

* The queue separates as the ride has multiple experiences.
** Is set up to run 2 vehicles, but is only running 1.

Karls Erlebnis-Dorf Doblen
Erdbeer Raupenbahn - Roller coaster, 1 train, 217pph, 3 dispatches

Belantis
Fahrt des Odysseus - Water ride, unknown vehicles, 576pph, 1 dispatch
Cobra des Amun Ra - Roller coaster, 1 train, 455pph, 2 dispatches
Drachenritt - Roller coaster, 4 cars, 351pph, 11 dispatches
Huracan - Roller coaster, 2 cars, 217pph, 8 dispatches
Fluch des Pharao - Water ride, unknown vehicles, 217pph, 6 dispatches
Fahrschule Frischling - Junior flat ride, 162pph, 1 dispatch
Capt'n Black Bird's Piratentaufe - Family drop tower, 155pph, 2 dispatches
Belanitus Rache (Intense side) - Flat ride, 117pph, 1 dispatch*
Poseidon's Flotte - Flat ride, 94pph, 1 dispatch
Flug des Ikarus - Zip line, 54.1pph, 2 dispatches
Gletscher-Rutscher - Water ride, 43.7pph, 1 dispatch*

Freizeitpark Plohn
El Toro - Roller coaster, 1 train, 287pph, 2 dispatches**
Miniwah - Roller coaster, 1 train, 282pph, 1 dispatch
Thornado - Water ride, 242pph, 17 dispatches
Western Rodeo - Flat ride, 240pph, 1 dispatch
Dynamite - Roller coaster, 1 train, 229pph, 4 dispatches**
Aqualuna - Flat ride, 212pph, 1 dispatch
Drachenwirbel - Roller coaster, 1 train, 189pph, 1 dispatch
Wildwasserbahn - Water ride, 162pph, 2 dispatches
Max & Moritz - Tracked ride, 106pph, 2 dispatches
Dazzling Dan's Fusel Schleuder - 95.1pph, 1 dispatch

Karls Erlebnis-Dorf Elstal
K2 - Roller coaster, 4 trains, 161pph, 10 dispatches
Erdbeer Drop - Water ride, 1 boat, 36.7pph, 2 dispatches**
 
Thanks for the reminder @Rob Coasters; I’ve got a number of throughput timings to report from recent trips!
Alton Towers
  • Nemesis Reborn (Theoretical: 1,400pph on 2 trains) - 1,130pph (2 trains, average of 5, 24th April 2026)
  • The Smiler (Theoretical: 1,200pph on 5 trains) - 722pph (4 trains, baggage hold closed, average of 5, 24th April 2026)
  • Wicker Man (Theoretical: 952pph on 3 trains) - 920pph (3 trains, average of 3, 24th April 2026) Note: The ride briefly went down after this, so this reading might be slightly unreliable.
That was a quiet day at Alton Towers, so I wasn’t overly concerned about timing throughputs and frankly didn’t have the time to on a lot of rides (throughput timing is a secondary priority to riding!), but on the whole, operations seemed strong throughout the day! Oblivion was on 1 station, which was the only minor detractor, but as it was a quiet day, I didn’t think it was massively concerning.

Thorpe Park
  • Hyperia (Theoretical: 1,050pph on 2 trains) - 841pph (2 trains, average of 3, 12th May 2026), 833pph (2 trains, average of 9, 12th May 2026)
  • Nemesis Inferno (Theoretical: 1,150pph on 2 trains) - 1,023pph (2 trains, average of 3, 12th May 2026)
  • Saw: The Ride (Theoretical: 1,000pph on 8 cars/2 stations) - 789pph (unknown number of cars/2 stations, average of 3 dual dispatches, 12th May 2026)
  • Stealth (Theoretical: 1,000pph on 2 trains) - 906pph (2 trains, average of 6, 12th May 2026)
As with Towers above, it was a very quiet day and I wasn’t overly concerned about timing operations, but on the whole, throughputs seemed really strong throughout the day! Hyperia and Stealth in particular seemed to have excellent operations given the low crowd levels!

Paultons Park
  • Drakon (Theoretical: Unknown on 3 cars) - 593pph (3 cars, average of 10, 16th May 2026)
  • Farmyard Flyer (Theoretical: Unknown on 1 train) - 284pph (1 train, average of 2, 16th May 2026)
  • Flight of the Pterosaur (Theoretical: 650pph on 1 train) - 465pph (1 train, average of 3, 16th May 2026)
  • Raven (Theoretical: 720pph on unknown number of cars) - 447pph (3 or 4 (?) cars, average of 10, 16th May 2026)
  • Storm Chaser (Theoretical: 1,000pph on 2 trains) - 886pph (2 trains, average of 2, 16th May 2026), 790pph (2 trains, average of 3, 16th May 2026)
  • Velociraptor (Theoretical: 750pph on 1 train) - 586pph (1 train, average of 4, 16th May 2026)
I’ve often said that Paultons doesn’t have overly strong operations, but this was my first time scrutinising them properly since 2021 (my 2025 visit was so quiet that there was no point even trying!), and I perhaps hadn’t given them enough credit previously, to be fair. Operations across the park were generally very good and prompt, for the most part! Maybe there are areas for improvement, but I thought levels of urgency given the hardware the park are working with were generally strong.
 
I realised that I’ve been on quite a few trips since I last posted any fresh throughput timings, so let me provide some from my trip to France in June and my recent trips to some Merlin parks last week!

Parc Astérix
  • Cétautomatix (Theoretical: Unknown on 9 cars) - 690pph (unknown number of cars, average of 1, 29th June 2026)
  • Goudurix (Theoretical: Unknown on 2 trains) - 797pph (2 trains, average of 3, 29th June 2026)
  • OzIris (Theoretical: 1,600pph on 3 trains) - 1,124pph (2 trains, average of 9, 29th June 2026)
  • Pégase Express (Theoretical: Unknown on 4 trains) - 1,000pph (4 trains, average of 4, 29th June 2026)
  • Tonnerre 2 Zeus (Theoretical: Unknown on 2 trains) - 762pph (2 trains, average of 7, 29th June 2026)
  • Toutatis (Theoretical: 1,260pph on 3 trains) - 1,156pph (2 trains, average of 1, 29th June 2026), 954pph (2 trains, average of 9, 29th June 2026)
  • Trace du Hourra (Theoretical: Unknown on unknown number of trains) - 1,090pph (unknown number of trains, average of 6, 29th June 2026)
  • Vol D’Icare (Theoretical: 1,150pph on 5 trains) - 425pph (unknown number of trains, average of 1, 29th June 2026) (this figure assumes 8 riders per train, which I’m not certain is actually correct)
In terms of some general operational insights:
  • A number of the rides here had a rather peculiar loose article storage situation, wherein riders would stack their bags in a big trolley. It certainly made the platform operations speedy, but there must be a less faffy way to store bags before and after the ride, as getting them out at the end was a right faff! Other rides, curiously including Goudurix, had riders take bags on with them; you certainly wouldn’t be taking bags on a 7-looping Vekoma in Britain!
  • A number of lap bar rides did not do manual restraint checks, which made for very speedy operations. Trace du Hourra in particular was a standout, and I feel like my 1,090pph figure does not do the operations on there justice; it was quite routinely banging out 40-45s dispatches, with the odd one even being under 40s. That’s absolutely obscene, and I dare say puts even Schweizer Bobbahn at Europa Park to shame; on this ride, you would frequently have a train leave the station before the one in front had left the lift hill, and for the most part, the operations on there ran like clockwork!
  • Cétautomatix ran like absolute clockwork; it had a conveyor belt loading system, and they seem to have nailed those consistent 20s or so dispatch intervals down to a fine art!
  • Operations were generally very, very prompt on the larger coasters, with both Toutatis and OzIris seeming pretty well operated. Again, both figures I have, particularly the one for OzIris, seem too low relative to how prompt I seem to remember the ops being; they really were quite fast on there! I seem to remember OzIris most typically managing 90s or so dispatch intervals.
  • The loading process on Pégase Express was quite disorganised, with nobody really knowing where to go and this causing delays on the platform. The platform staff were still very prompt and dispatches were still pretty good on the whole, but it did sometimes cause trains to stack on the brake run.
On the whole, I would say Astérix seemed like a pretty well operated park, with limited downtime and generally fast throughputs! Even though some of the queues were quite long, they mostly seemed to move pretty quickly (with Toutatis being an odd exception; is there a lot of Fastrack on there or something)?

Disneyland Paris
  • Avengers Assemble: Flight Force (Theoretical: 1,800pph on 5 trains) - 1,613pph (unknown number of trains, average of 2, 2nd July 2026)
  • Big Thunder Mountain (Theoretical: 2,424pph on 5 trains/2 stations) - 1,577pph (unknown number of trains/2 stations, average of 6, 2nd July 2026)
  • Indiana Jones et le Temple du Peril (Theoretical: Unknown on unknown number of trains) - 1,073pph (unknown number of trains, average of 2, 2nd July 2026)
  • It’s a Small World (Theoretical: Unknown on unknown number of boats) - 1,155pph (unknown number of boats, average of 1, 2nd July 2026) (I had this down as 1,732pph, but I for some reason put that it had 24 riders per boat while Wikipedia claims 16, so I’ve adjusted the figure downwards to compensate… is Wikipedia correct?)
  • Space Mountain (Theoretical: Unknown on 5 trains/2 stations) - 1,642pph (unknown number of trains/2 stations, average of 6, 2nd July 2026)
In terms of some general operational insights:
  • Things generally operated very, very promptly. Disney parks may not rank as my absolute favourite parks, but the operations are one aspect of them I cannot criticise and generally very much like; similarly to Universal Orlando, the platform staff operate with almost a military degree of precision and speed and queues generally move quickly!
  • They had quite a good common sense policy on restraint checking here that I very much liked and made things move promptly. They had everyone pulling up on their restraint to check that it was locked instead of doing checks up and down the whole train, which made things go quickly; why can’t more parks do that?
  • Like Astérix, Disney seems to have a surprising tolerance for loose articles on intense rides. Both Avengers and Space Mountain have you carrying all loose articles, including bags, on board, which surprised me; is H&S more lax in France or something? I guess I could also ask the same question about the point above, actually, as I feel like the UK wouldn’t let you get away with bags on a looping coaster or no physical restraint checks, as much as I felt no physical restraint checks made sense and made things move more quickly…
  • One exception to the “queues moving quickly” rule was Spider-Man; this seemed like ever such a slow queue, for some reason…
So all in all, then, I was generally very pleased with the operations at DLP; the queues are long, but they move quickly and the park generally operates their rides very well!

Alton Towers
  • Galactica (Theoretical: 1,500pph on 3 trains/2 stations) - 533pph (2 trains/1 station, average of 3, 21st September 2026), 622pph (unknown number of trains, average of 3, 22nd September 2026)
  • Nemesis Reborn (Theoretical: 1,400pph on 2 trains) - 1,141pph (2 trains, average of 4, 21st September 2026) (take this one with a pinch of salt as they began sending every other train around empty, hence I stopped the timing), 566pph (1 train, average of 2, 22nd September 2026)
  • Oblivion (Theoretical: 1,900pph on 7 shuttles/2 stations) - 468pph (3 shuttles/1 station, average of 6, 21st September 2026) (skewed upwards by one 167s dispatch; the other 5 dispatches ranged between 104s and 128s, averaging 114.4s and coming out at around 503pph), 610pph (3 shuttles/1 station, average of 2, 21st September 2026)
  • Rita (Theoretical: 1,150pph on 2 trains) - 392pph (1 train, average of 4, 21st September 2026)
  • Spinball Whizzer (Theoretical: 950pph on 8 cars) - 626pph (5 cars, average of 1, 21st September 2026)
  • The Smiler (Theoretical: 1,000pph on 5 trains) - 734pph (3 trains, no baggage hold, average of 2, 21st September 2026), 706pph (3 trains, no baggage hold, average of 5, 22nd September 2026)
  • Thirteen (Theoretical: 1,100pph on 3 trains) - Didn’t get a timing, but it was definitely only on 2 trains and had no baggage hold operating (22nd September 2026)
  • Wicker Man (Theoretical: 952pph on 3 trains) - 897pph (2 trains, average of 3, 21st September 2026), 978pph (3 trains, average of 3, 22nd September 2026), 728pph (3 trains, average of 10, 22nd September 2026) (this one was skewed down by 3 anomalously long readings of 147s, 192s and 166s; the other 7 ranged between 78s and 114s, averaging 97.3s and coming out at around 888pph)
In terms of some insights, I would say the following:
  • People aren’t going to like me for saying this, but I think that the operation of the pre-show 100% stifled Wicker Man’s throughput last week. The platform staff were as prompt as ever, but so, so often, the train was sitting empty in the station waiting ages for people to be batched into it because the ride was operating more quickly than the pre-show, meaning that quite a few seconds were wasted and the batchers were having to run around like lunatics to batch everyone into an empty train as quickly as possible. It didn’t matter too much, as the ride wasn’t too busy at all, but if this is what happens on a busier day, I think the process needs work. While I acknowledge that there were 3 anomalously long dispatch intervals and the other 7 averaged 97s, having 3/10 dispatch intervals being 2.5+ minutes when the ride is running 3 trains is not great; that’s definitely the worst throughput I’ve ever seen on Wicker Man running 3 trains. I would argue that putting 3 trains on it, while of course welcomed, was possibly not the park’s top priority on the Tuesday when other things were running 1 train and had longer queues; Monday proved that it still does fairly well on 2 and the pains with the pre-show meant that 3 frequently offered little to no benefit in practice on this visit.
  • It was disappointing to see Rita on 1 train for the whole trip. The ride routinely had queues of 30+ minutes going up to 45 minutes, and the cause didn’t even appear to be mechanical; the ride was running a different train each day, with the blue train running on Monday and the purple train running on Tuesday.
  • Oblivion appeared understaffed, with the ride being on 1 station and seemingly having a staff member having to both batch and dispatch simultaneously. This slowed the ride down to an average of under 500pph on one 6-interval reading, which isn’t great even on 1 station; even when I take the anomaly out of the equation, the other 5 readings only narrowly exceeded an average of 500pph.
  • Nemesis was doing quite well on the Monday, but seeing it on 1 train on the Tuesday was disappointing given that the queue still hit 30 minutes. They also appeared to start the practice of only filling every other train on Monday, which seemed odd…
  • Given that the ride wasn’t operating a baggage hold and only ran 3 trains, I thought Smiler’s operations remained impressively prompt, on the whole. They always do pretty well on that ride! I would say the same about Thirteen given it was also only running 2 trains and had no baggage hold; the staff were prompt, the ride pretty consistently didn’t stack and queues remained relatively low!
  • Spinball always remains pretty strong operationally; while I could only time 1 dispatch, they seem to have nailed that consistent 20-25s dispatch interval down to a pretty fine art and have it running like clockwork, to the point where it actually outdid a fair few of the larger coasters on throughput this trip! It certainly runs much better and more consistently than Dragon’s Fury down at Chessington, anyway!
All in all, I wouldn’t say this was my finest trip to Alton operationally speaking. I had a very good visit, getting on lots of rides each day, and in the main, I can’t complain too much, but there were still queues in excess of 30 minutes where I would argue there didn’t need to be and lots of things were running on reduced throughputs. I’ve often said that Alton’s ride throughputs are pretty good and overly criticised, and on the whole, that’s a stance I stand by, but if this visit was my sole experience of Alton Towers operations, I could perhaps empathise with the criticism a little more.

Thorpe Park
  • Colossus (Theoretical: 1,300pph on 2 trains) - 730pph (2 trains, average of 2, 24th September 2026)
  • Hyperia (Theoretical: 1,050pph on 2 trains) - 679pph (2 trains, average of 6, 24th September 2026) (This figure was skewed downwards by 2 much slower dispatches of 118s and 134s, and the other 4 dispatches ranged between 93s and 98s, averaging 96s and resulting in around 750pph)
  • Nemesis Inferno (Theoretical: 1,150pph on 2 trains) - 1,191pph (2 trains, average of 5, 24th September 2026) (this reading was skewed downwards by one anomalously slow dispatch of 100s; the other 4 dispatches ranged between 76s and 85s, averaging 80.8s and resulting in around 1,248pph), 1,090pph (2 trains, average of 4, 24th September 2026)
  • Saw: The Ride (Theoretical: 1,000pph on 8 cars/2 stations) - 837pph (unknown number of cars/2 stations, average of 10, 24th September 2026)
  • Stealth (Theoretical: 1,000pph on 2 trains) - 811pph (2 trains, average of 5, 24th September 2026), 893pph (2 trains, average of 5, 24th September 2026)
  • The Swarm (Theoretical: 1,100pph on 2 trains) - 970pph (2 trains, average of 9, 24th September 2026) (This figure is skewed downwards by one anomalously slow dispatch interval of 122s; the other 8 ranged between 91s and 112s, averaging 101.6s and resulting in around 991pph)
In terms of some general insights, I’d say the following:
  • Nemesis Inferno was operated like I have honestly never seen that ride operated before! The operations were incredible, and minimal to no stacking was par for the course for the entire day, from what I could see! With that morning reading of 1,191pph in particular, I have never seen the ride have dispatch intervals of ~80s or less that consistently before and didn’t even know it was possible, and when I got in the station and saw those ops at work, it was quite something! The staff were brilliantly fast, with them running up and down the train checking bars and the operator coming over the tannoy giving it the whole “this train is ready to leave with or without you”! I’m going out on a limb and saying that it was the best operated Nemesis I rode that week, having been to Alton earlier in the week, and possibly in the running for best operated B&M invert of the year (yes, even including OzIris). Phenomenal work!
  • Swarm was pretty good. I do think the ride could perhaps be enhanced even further operationally if the baggage hold returned, but I thought they were generally doing quite a decent job on there.
  • Stealth was also pretty good in general, even if the ride has never quite matched the “better part of 1,000pph” heights I logged it reaching last year. Oddly, it quite comfortably puts Rita to shame throughputs-wise (even when Rita runs 2 trains) despite supposedly having a lower theoretical! They also had a batcher on here for the first time in a while, which was interesting; it certainly made the platform more organised than usual.
  • Every time I ride Hyperia, I think it’s slowed down so much by that gap in between trains and how slow the brake run is. There’s easily a good 20-30 second gap between trains being in the station when the ride runs well, and if they were able to speed up that brake run a tad, I think it could make the ride gain a fair whack of throughput, as the staff on there are generally very prompt!
Overall, I thought the park was generally quite well operated, and perhaps controversially, I would argue that Thorpe Park presently has the most consistently good ride operations and throughputs of the 4 UK Merlin parks. While I think Alton Towers at their best can still match or exceed Thorpe, I think they’ve proven more inconsistent recently and if I’m comparing like for like based on my visits this week, Thorpe Park had everything running on full capacity this week unlike Alton Towers and also seemed to have generally better staffing and levels of urgency on the platforms. I wouldn’t necessarily have said this a few years ago, but I do think Thorpe has improved quite considerably in terms of throughputs in the last 5 years or so!

Chessington World of Adventures
  • Dragon’s Fury (Theoretical: 950pph on 8 cars) - 443pph (unknown number of cars, average of 10, 25th September 2026) (This reading was skewed downwards by 3 slower readings of 43s, 42s and 40s; the other 7 readings ranged between 23s and 34s, averaging 28.6s and resulting in around 504pph. This reading also assumes full cars of 4, which was not always the case due to the policy of only allowing 3 adults in a car.)
  • Mandrill Mayhem (Theoretical: 840pph on 1 train) - 605pph (1 train, average of 4, 25th September 2026) (This reading was skewed downwards by 1 slower reading of 207s; the other 3 readings ranged between 144s and 166s, averaging 153s and resulting in around 659pph)
  • Vampire (Theoretical: 1,200pph on 3 trains) - 512pph (2 trains, average of 5, 25th September 2026) (This reading was skewed downwards by 1 slower reading of 200s; the other 4 intervals ranged between 154s and 167s, averaging 161s and resulting in around 537pph)
In terms of some general insights:
  • Dragon’s Fury, while they make an earnest effort on there, definitely doesn’t run as consistently well as Spinball at Alton Towers. While you occasionally had those 20-25s glimmers of excellence shining through, the ride is hobbled by the whole procedure of the scales and the weighting faff, and unlike Spinball, they struggle to have it consistently clearing the 500pph mark. This isn’t great when Dragon’s Fury is a headline attraction at Chessington while Spinball is a decidedly peripheral coaster at Alton Towers. And that’s before you consider that Fury frequently doesn’t fill the cars unlike Spinball, which would make the real world throughput even lower than my numbers imply.
  • Mandrill Mayhem continues with the odd charade of not letting you stand in the airgates until the ride has come to a stop, which seems counterintuitive when the ride is already a headline coaster that intrinsically can only run 1 train. The actual platform staff seem quite prompt on there, to be fair, but there’s only so well they can do when the ride only runs 1 train to begin with and the Wing Coaster is intrinsically slightly more difficult to operate quickly.
  • In fairness, Vampire seemed better staffed and operated than last time I came to Chessington, with a dedicated batcher and 2 platform staff, and as a result, the average dispatch interval was a good minute faster (2.5-3 minutes compared to nearly 4 minutes in 2023). The platform staff were prompt and the actual restraint checks were very good and quick! However, the batcher frequently didn’t batch the airgates until the train was in the station with people waiting to board for some reason, which seemed odd and like it was wasting unnecessary seconds. I also never noticed before how the ride has perhaps the slowest train parking known to man, with nearly 50s passing between trains being parked in the station; that certainly can’t help throughputs!
  • While Chessington as a park lacks capacity compared to Towers or Thorpe and many of their rides, particularly more recent ones, have quite low inherent capacities, they have some rides that I feel could and should be relatively high capacity, but aren’t due to procedure, inherent design flaws or a mix of both. Vampire is one example, but the most egregious one is probably Tomb Blaster. A ride with multiple large trains and simple lap bar restraints should attain a pretty good throughput, right? And yet, it doesn’t! One poor man operates it entirely on his own, it takes what feels like forever and a day for one train to leave the station and another to park in it, and when all these things are added together, the ride ends up having a surprisingly slow throughput! ZUFARI is another one where I feel like it should theoretically have high capacity; big safari trucks feel like something you should fairly easily be able to bung people onto and send to get a good capacity, but it seems quite sluggish and has some odd design choices, such as having exiting guests cross directly in front of those who board unnecessarily… what is that about?
All in all, I would say Chessington generally has weaker throughputs than Alton or Thorpe. While the operations themselves aren’t overly terrible by any means and the staff mostly make an earnest effort, I do think the park inherently has a real lack of capacity and is hobbled by some rather odd procedural quirks. I do fear it could really struggle on peak days next season if Minecraft proves popular unless they invest a bit of money into improving throughputs, or at very least put some energy into improving throughputs as Thorpe seemingly did prior to Hyperia opening.
 
Like Astérix, Disney seems to have a surprising tolerance for loose articles on intense rides. Both Avengers and Space Mountain have you carrying all loose articles, including bags, on board, which surprised me; is H&S more lax in France or something?

It's the same at Efteling in the Netherlands. I would say UK H&S is particularly stringent rather than European being lax per se. My favourite is Python at Efteling which has a multi-language sign in the station explaining centrifugal force in relation to bags in the train.

Equally i believe all the rides cited at Disney and Asterix (and even my Efteling example) are made by Vekoma which i think is not a coincidence but a design choice.
 
Back
Top