What's new

Universal considering UK theme park in Bedford

Just waiting for someone to find a rare species of spider that no-one has ever heard of to shut down the whole project.

You just know something like that will happen.

Like the planned Therme waterpark in Manchester has just been delayed due to discovery of rare orchids

Context, please?
It's common for theme parks and other large infrastructure projects to be stalled in the UK by the presence of a rare species of wildlife being discovered on the site.

For example, the ill-fated London Resort project in Kent was stymied by the presence of a rare species of jumping spider on the site. This led to the site eventually being designated a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI), which basically put an end to any hopes of ever building on the site.

Universal's earlier attempt at a park in the UK 30-35 years ago, due to be located in Rainham in Essex, was stymied for similar reasons. The RSPB had profound concerns about the land being built on, and the proposal was cancelled and we now have a nature reserve, RSPB Rainham Marshes, there as a result.

Context, please?
Lookup the London Resort

Another interesting article about how the theme park could lower local house prices £50k!
Well I know where NOT to go for property advice now.

Not a chance in hell this lowers prices in the long run. During construction, maybe, but in the long run no chance at all. In fact, I'd give it 10 years before locals are complaining that property prices are too high for locals to buy homes, due to holiday rentals buying up all of the properties, and inflating prices.

I’m a massive wildlife nerd and normally support that kind of stuff. But stopping construction for a spider? Really? Nobody cares about some spider

Universal's earlier attempt at a park in the UK 30-35 years ago, due to be located in Rainham in Essex, was stymied for similar reasons. The RSPB had profound concerns about the land being built on, and the proposal was cancelled and we now have a nature reserve, RSPB Rainham Marshes, there as a result.
This isn’t why the previous Universal attempt was canned, though. They’d basically been given the go-ahead to use the site, but Universal saw a location in Paris as more attractive instead due to more favorable tax incentives. Then the whole thing was dropped because Euro Disney vastly underperformed and MCA feared a Euro Universal built from the ground up would face the same fate, especially after the Orlando resort already got off to a rough start. Rainham Marshes later became a test firing range for the Ministry of Defence and wasn’t turned into a nature reserve until 2006.

Last edited:
And then years later Disney said they regretted not building the resort in the UK or Spain. Seems to be Disney’s loss is Universal’s gain.

On Universal, you have a Govt in desperate need of cash. The tax implications of this alone would be a strong enough argument to back it.

On Universal, you have a Govt in desperate need of cash. The tax implications of this alone would be a strong enough argument to back it.
Would that not be negated somewhat by the government needing to invest into elements of the infrastructure improvement necessary to make the Universal park a reality?

In theory they should be investing into infrastructure anyway, so this just lets them prioritise something they'll get a better return on.

Not sure if I read it here or elsewhere, but I've heard it's possible Universal are waiting until D23 in August to announce some new investments worldwide to draw the spotlight away from the mouse? I imagine if that were the case (not proven of course), this would be announced as going ahead perhaps?

Last edited:
This will be tax breaks, I assume. I don't mind that per-say if we can get them to hand over some significant cash for EWR.

Tenders are starting to come out for early site works, with more coming over the next few weeks.

Not necessarily a sign this is definitely happening (similar things happened with The London Resort) but things are moving.
Do you have a link for any of these? Curious to have a look at what's being done!