What's new

Weird, Wacky & Strange Coaster Bits

Well, yeah, but I think we all know that "running" in Asia is much different from elsewhere. I guess all I was trying to say was that I found it odd for that reason as well. But of course I figured it was fine as it seems to be running fine and the layout isn't anything extreme. So in a sense I wasn't being totally serious, but it also wasn't a joke.

reddude333 said:
Well, unless I am just being a complete idiot, I would assume that the forces experienced on coasters differ with stand-ups...at least I can feel a significant difference. I would just guess that turns and inversions are tailored for the specific train type that will be riding on the track (due to the different heartline of riders). So no, it wasn't a joke...it may have been a naive comment but I wasn't kidding. Please enlighten me.
If it was a major danger, they wouldn't do it. Yes people are going to say all the **** like, "But it's in Asia" and stuff, but when it comes down to it, if it was THAT dangerous, they wouldn't open or operate it.

roomraider said:
That park also has this
b7l0b6400005bfjchhgemu.jpg

Like the one at Yomouri Land this ride has 1 stand-up and one sitdown train (although here the sitdown is backwards). You can see the standup train in the background above.

The one at YomiuriLand uses a transfer table and separate loading / unloading platforms. This one has one loading position, and lines up both the standup and sit down riders on the same side.

Yeah the difference being this was built as a Stand-Up only at Tsukuba Expo and Washuzan Highland added the sitdown car later. I think Yomouri Lands was planned as a duel type coaster to start with.

Furie said:
I think Gavin may have been on it.

I haven't been on the one in the picture above, but I have been on Momonga at Yomiuriland. When Momonga first opened in 1979, it was a regular sit-down coaster. The standing train was opened in 1982, the day after the exact same thing happened to another Togo coaster, Dangai, making them the first stand-up coasters.

Although I think Star Jet - the stand-up/sit-down combo in the picture earlier - was actually designed with a stand-up train in mind (the date 1986 would suggest so), the first stand-up coasters weren't designed like that at all, so reddude333 actually had a valid question.

However, the layouts for those coasters were incredibly simple (drop, loop, helix) meaning that adding a stand-up train wouldn't change the dynamics of the ride that much. It would clearly never happen with a modern looper.

Anyway, back to Momonga. When you join the queue you make the choice of stand-up or sit-down train, and that will inform which side of the platform you end up on. The tracks in the station slides from one side of the platform to the centre, originally for dual loading presumably. Some pictures:

DSC07754.jpg

DSC07709.jpg

DSC07702.jpg

DSC07849.jpg

DSC07727.jpg

DSC07850-1.jpg

DSC07706.jpg

kcnr4cc485858600006qrs.jpg

cc3d3348h.jpg

Just to continue on with Gavins post (sorry Nic) theres some shots of the other ride he mentioned Dangai. A real pain in the arse to find pictures of.

Nic that ride no only has weird trains it seems damn right weird all over.

Lofty said:
Nic said:
Has this been posted yet?

Boogie-Woogie Space Coaster at Space World, Japan

get03h3o4lm0019haode3a.jpg

Yup, the last 2 cars in the train randomly face backwards.

http://rcdb.com/1197.htm
El Diablo used to have this up until maybe 2007 or so. The back 2 cars randomly faced backwards. It was so much fun.

4e807843fmijm0s8k15d00.jpg

We are all going to ignore that really cheap and strange pyramid thing?

stingraya.jpg
Not sure if anyone is familiar with this Vekoma 1-off. I just saw it on rcdb for the first time and I had never seen it before. It looks cool, that's for sure. It's called the Stingray and I think it's in China?????

^Yes, it's in China. Here's the RCDB page:

http://rcdb.com/4124.htm

I believe Ben and Jake have been on this? One of them will have to correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure one of them mentioned how it wasn't quite as vile as you'd expect. :lol:

Speaking of China...

You know that crazy Looping Toboggan in Shanghai that looks evil?

turns out its not the only one

At Chuanlord Holiday Manor.

jrmchhh2jn2dho000rlbfj.jpg

6ip0016uarsr4ce8ku4jcf.jpg

And at Phoenix Island Playground

hogcca4gckk30016uqrsr4.jpg

I can't believe the amount of effort that went into theming THAT!

Hixee said:
^Yes, it's in China. Here's the RCDB page:

http://rcdb.com/4124.htm

I believe Ben and Jake have been on this? One of them will have to correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure one of them mentioned how it wasn't quite as vile as you'd expect. :lol:
I thought The Ninja at SFOG looked really cool. After I rode, I thought, that sucked donkey balls.

Ashstrodamus said:
stingraya.jpg
Not sure if anyone is familiar with this Vekoma 1-off. I just saw it on rcdb for the first time and I had never seen it before. It looks cool, that's for sure. It's called the Stingray and I think it's in China?????

I don't think it's going to remain a one-off, Vekoma I believe plans to sell that as a new model of ride.

Re: Weird, Wacky & Strange Coaster Bits

Thats been open for what, 3 years now? Stingray I believe is what it is called.

Yea, nobody else wants one. Why get that when you can get a flyer (which have pretty much stopped selling with the last B&M installation being Starry Night Ripper and last Vekoma was X-Flight (beyond stingray)).

Its basically a curvier, non-spinning zac-spin

It is short and gimmicky, but it actually looks like it could be fun! Put it this way, it looks a lot better than a Volare!