What's new

What is the most overrated and underrated coasters

Do all stand-ups hurt or just Mantis?

How could Mantis hurt and Riddlers and Green Lantern not hurt if they're both the same dynamic of B&M stand-ups with the same trains and similar heartlines?

^
1. Iron Wolf hurts and im assuming the Vortex's hurt (Carowinds and CGAm)

2. I don't get it either but people think their better. Iron Wolf is rough because its old and i don't think it's designed to have B&M harnesses on an Intamin Train on a B&M track

Mantis has a long line because the capacity is about 20pph. ;)

And Iron Wolf, Mantis, and Vortex were the only ones who sucked tbh. Of course.. that's half the B&M Stand Ups that have existed.. so not saying well for the ride type.

The B&M Stand-Up restraint design isn't the most brilliant, but let me be testament that it is possible to have a smooth ride!

... Just be a Cedar Point fanboy for 22 years like me and you eventually get the hang of it. :razz:

Riding a stand up coaster is just... awkward. If you stand in line long enough and your legs hurt its disappointing when you finally get to the ride and you realize you have to do a work out on the ride too! The restraints dont hurt, its the ride design mostly. Ive only been on 2 standups but just from a short experience on vortex at carowinds is that laterals are a big problem. Doing lots of turn changes and even a corkscrew just gives you whiplash. I however really really enjoyed the TOGO stand up experience more than B&M's, and I had a concussion the day before I rode the stand up and already had a massive headache. (car accident, long story)

I think some of the people here dont understand what underrated means. It seems like most people just put coasters in there that they really really love but has already been hyped up. For example, TTD (well, anything a CP really).

A coaster that is actually underrated is Sky Rocket. Its a little coaster, and it has (or at least had) a reliability issue, but that little thing packs a PUNCH!

From the top of my head...

Over-rated:

RITA - I'm not sure if it's because the coaster is in Alton Towers, but it's so well-praised, especially by non-enthusiasts. RITA just isn't a good rollercoaster, in fact I think it's one of the worst launch coasters I've encountered. The launch is ok, but everything else is uninspired. The layout is as dull as a Big Apple, the air-time isn't that good, the theme is lame, the queue-line takes the piss, the name is lame, the reliability is bad, it's rough and to me it's put Alton Towers to shame. Nemesis, Oblivion and AIR are all top-class rollercoasters, RITA could've been a much better rollercoaster, even if it had a tunnel or more extensive theming, it would do it a good job.

Kraken - This is another coaster that could easily be a lot better, but is flawed by having such a recognizable layout and being sluggishly forceless. After being on Dragon Khan (which really impressed me), I couldn't help but hesitate to compare the two coasters. The layouts are pretty much identical, but Kraken felt a lot more drawn-out and elegant rather than Dragon Khan being tight and intense, in fact I couldn't really feel anything on Kraken. Kraken is smoother than Dragon Khan though, but this just made it feel sluggish to me, rather than being shaken up and a lot more wilder on Khan. The difference between the two coasters is huge, Kraken just lacks personality, whilst the theming is beautiful, for the mass of the coaster it just felt tame and rather boring.

Under-rated:

Stampida - I love this wooden coaster! And you can have some outstanding rides at night if you choose the right place to sit (back-left of red train). Sure it's rough, but it wouldn't be a woodie if it was glass-smooth. Just slouch your bum forward when the bar is being pushed down, you can have quite a gap, which allows for some seriously insane air-time! It's a shame this gets over-looked so much because of it's brutal rattling and poor trains, the layout is fantastic!

SAW: The Ride - I don't know why this gets so much hate on here, it's the best addition at Thorpe since Nemesis: Inferno. It's far from rough, if a little jerky, and the effort put into this coaster is over-looked. From the indoor queue theming, to the cheeky addition of an air-time hill (and a good one at that), it's transformed a simple Euro-Fighter into a world-class coaster. Euro-Fighters in general are under-rated.

I'm sure there's more, but those stand out the most for me. :)

Underrated:
The Voyage (not underrated in popularity amongst coaster fans, but GP complaining of rough rides)
Silver Star (Many have said the trims kill the airtime, when I rode I though it was a great ride)
Blue Streak
Colossus (TP)
Nickleodeon Streak (Rollercoaster)
The Racer
Wild Mouse (BPB)
Avalanche
Mean Streak (It's not that painfull in the front seat, although on the back it's horrible)

Overrated:
The Ultimate
Magnum XL 200
Gemini (haven't heard many praise it, but not enough people want it to be replaced)
Grand National
Raging Bull
Robin Hood
Iron Bru Revolution
Blue Fire (good layout, but just seems lacking in speed and thrills)